Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2016, 10:58 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Slide out toppers

I can find discussions about replacing them, the material or repairing them, the sags but I needed to know:

Slide out toppers, are they a luxury or necessity?
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2016, 11:01 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
luxury!
ricndot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 12:46 PM   #3

I'd second that. Without them, it's a good idea to sweep off the top of the slide before you retract them.

With them, they provide a little shading but they may sag in heavy rains or flap in windy conditions and have to be replaced more often than your awning. You can't selectively deploy them like you can your awning.

All that said, I'd like to have them but I'm not willing to pay the price. You could say I'm conflicted.
Old 11-08-2016, 01:02 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If you have high quality flush slides meaning that when retracted the edges are flush with the sides of the RV versus overlapping the RV sides and also have a water and debris squeegee built into the top of the slide that will remove any water or debris that has landed on the top of the slide, then NO you do not need a topper for the top of your slide.

However, if you have what most of us have which are basic slides with flip seals around the edges, then you will need the topper to keep water and debris on the OUTSIDE of the RV versus having it INSIDE the RV once the slide is retracted.

Or you could go without and each time before planning to retract the slide you can climb up onto the roof with a broom and a squeegee to remove debris and water.

Personally that is too much of a hassle for me especially when the weather really sucks outside so I love my slide toppers.

Just talk with Chris Throgmartin of Stone Vos, Inc and he will give you some straight talk advice about toppers. He won't try and sell you his but just so you know the Stone Vos toppers are the best in the industry. Best fabric, best thread, best stitching and by far the very best warranty in the entire nation.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:13 AM   #5

Needed, maybe NOT...

I think they are needed.. less climbing up ladder.. sweeping stuff off top of slide(s).
my slide is 14 feet.. No 8 foot brooms. so 3 times up and down ladder.

less dirt/water getting inside. slide seals are not the best design.
. Wet leaves are not easy to remove with a broom.. fyi.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:06 AM   #6

I like having them.. keep wear and tear off the roof of the slides.. I have replaced mine this year with Tough Tops.. Also I had to re attach the roof to the side walls of the motorhome where each topper is attached.. Monoco/HR uses rivets to attach the roof on many models.. the rivets have pulled out probably from the weight of water and wind over time.. I used 5/16 self tapping stainless steel screws with rubber washers to attach the roof where each rivet came out.. The trim piece snaps back over these screws and can't tell it was repaired.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 09:06 AM   #7

Carolina Campers
To get literal, it is hard to call them a necessity as you can use your TT without them. However, I would say a very nice to have.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:32 AM   #8

Nice to have. People have differing opinions, but plenty of us have them and seems most I've talked to with the (including myself) would recommend adding them. Used for 12 years on previous unit without issue. Blocks direct sun from baking top of slide/seals which helps protect seals and keep roof of slide cooler. As others have said, no sweeping needed to prevent leaves and debris from getting caught in seals when you retract. Plenty don't use them, so a necessity no, but IMHO, very nice to have.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:58 AM   #9

After almost ten years of climbing a ladder to sweep debris and water off our 18 inch deep slide on some of the most unlevel campsites in Alabama, I would never have gotten our new trailer with the 42 deep slide with out a an awning topper. The slide area is cooler, Our topper stays tight so it doesn't flap in the wind and No ladders to carry and climb.
montgomeryAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:51 PM   #10

If you like to sweep off your slide in the rain before retracting it then go without slide covers.
If you like to retract your slides and don't mind all the junk on top destroying the upper seal then go without slide covers
If you believe that a slide will never leak and it doesn't hurt to flood the top during heavy rains then go without slide covers.
If you don't mind replacing upper slide seals and dealing with leaks then go without slide covers.
The only good reason for not having the slide covers that I have heard is that in the sunny southwest the noise created by the wind can drive you crazy. No rain, no slide cover needed.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out