Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2016, 06:35 AM   #1

Slide out won't function on travel trailer

My slide out all of the sudden wont operate. All I get is a constent clicking noise. The motor is working..I have exposed the motor drive gears for the actuator...I noticed the gears are turning but the clutch is slipping. I'm wondering if maybe the clutch gear is worn out? My unit is level and I have noticed in the past that the clicking noise has been more than usual.
derbrick2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2016, 08:06 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

Sorry your here with problems .
There are a few different suppliers of slide mechanisms for RVs , do you see any markings on the motor or drive gear housing that would identify, your systems manufacturer.
Lippert uses a LCI ,logo on most of their components and some drive gear sets, with the over riding clutch, are available.
If you can't find a name , if you could post a picture along with all the info on your RV, year, make and model, maybe we can identify it for you.
Info on posting pictures is in the " FAQ " drop box in the dark blue bar across the top of the page.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:35 AM   #3

Thanks, I have contacted the RV dealer I purchased the unit from and they are going to get me some part numbers. I just really don't know where to start other than with the drive gears and then probably replace the actuator itself.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:41 AM   #4

I'm pretty sure its a Lippert through frame slide system with a Venture 18:1 9500 rpm motor. The only markings I can see on motor are -P/N8532 18HT
Old 06-05-2016, 08:48 AM   #5

Please take the time to fill out a " signature line".

By clicking " Quick Links " in the dark blue bar across the top of the page.
Then click " Edit Signature "
Type in all your RV's info ; year , make and model ; then click " Save " at the bottom of that page , then your info will appear below all your posts , as my coach's info does below this one .
Having the info will help members answer any questions you have , and you don't have to type it in every time.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:36 PM   #6

You may want to try and manually open or close it. On my Lippert slide I can use a 1/2 ratchet wrench to turn the square shaft. It could be you have something binding or locked up hence the clutch slipping. Also make sure the battery is well charged.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:19 PM   #7

Well, battery is charged, power is plugged in. I can't use a wrench to crank it out, it has a round shaft with a roll pin. I tried to crank it out but wont budge. I thought maybe it is because my slide is quite large and heavy. I really don't know why it would be jammed or bound up.It traveled out and back in just fine before.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:22 PM   #8

Looking at the clutch gear... it appears to me that the part of the clutch that is suppose to grab the inside of the gear doesn't have anything to catch on to move slide. It looks like it is worn down smooth. I thought I would try and replace the gears and see what happens.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:25 PM   #9

Also..I'm wondering if the actuator could go bad.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:14 PM   #10

There are ( or at least there used to be ) gear sets available for the Venture actuator set up . The test would be to remove the entire assembly and try to turn it by hand .
Remember the Venture worm drive pushes one end of the slide , and the other end is driven by gears and a re-action shaft , on the outside of the frame rails under the slide , binding in the re-action shaft can stop the system and wear out the over running clutch.
I've seen the gear sets advertised from $60 to $200 so shop around.
Do yours look like this?
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2016, 06:00 PM   #11

Well, thank you for all your help. Yesterday I went out to the unit and got the manual crank to work. I guess it was stuck...it was hard to crank initially but it broke loose. I cranked it out and lubricated all the mechanisms...ran it in and out with motor. So far it is working fine. I just can't understand why it was jammed up. Thanks again!!
Old 06-06-2016, 10:00 PM   #12

Good to hear - congrats. I'm wondering if the slide seals somehow stuck - clean them as well, and wipe down with slide seal conditioner.
Keen Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:48 AM   #13

make sure you use a dry type lubricant. You can get a spray can labeled for RV Slides or use a dry wax or dry silicone spray. The dirt will stick to any oil and grease and will become a problem later on.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
make sure you use a dry type lubricant. You can get a spray can labeled for RV Slides or use a dry wax or dry silicone spray. The dirt will stick to any oil and grease and will become a problem later on.
Thanks for this... can you recomended any brands/products please.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out, travel, travel trailer