Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2011, 10:12 PM   #15

I've had both and will buy a slide out again. I like the room. If it needs maintainance, well that's part of wanting it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2011, 10:37 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have had a lot of rigs over the years. From pull trailer up through 3 different class A's, the last two of which had slides. Grandaughters travel with us a lot now, so the extra space is good. Have not had significant issues with any of the slides. Battery power will open and close them, if batteries are in decent shape. Any of the units I have seen, ultimately use 12 volt power, even the hydro units have a 12 volt pump. Worst case, if batteries are low, and dry camping, you can either start engine, or generator. If I think batteries may be low, I monitor voltage as slides come in. (You shouldn't operate any motor with low battery voltage for very long, as it will pull higher amps, and potentially over heat, in which case I start the generator, this is the reason for the warning.) If you cannot do that, you have a bigger problem anyway.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:34 PM   #17

An RV is filled with things that can break and or leak, but a slide is so nice to have, almost a must.....
Old 06-19-2011, 02:53 PM   #18

Another vote for a slide--had a 26' Sunnybrook, but went up to a 30' with a 14" slide. Never any problems with it--leaks/motors/whatever--and the slide gave us 50 sq ft of more space and made a huge difference in livability. Now have 3 slides in the fiver.
But it is your decision...
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Another vote for a slide--had a 26' Sunnybrook, but went up to a 30' with a 14" slide. Never any problems with it--leaks/motors/whatever--and the slide gave us 50 sq ft of more space and made a huge difference in livability. Now have 3 slides in the fiver.
But it is your decision...
Joe
You know for some people, simple is just better. They don't want issues, can't deal with issues. I think those people should stick to tents or RVs with no slideouts. It's all good.

Me, I like slideouts, air conditioning, shaved legs and underarms, diesel trucks and ice cold beer.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #20

When I was looking at TTs, I did not want a slide on it at all. In fact, most of the time, if the camper had a slide, I completely discounted it. I am kind of a KISS (keep it simple stupid) type of guy. What I ended up with is a camper that has a manual slide. It doesnt take much strength to pull out or push back in, and the only thing that it has in it is the jack knife couch. There are no motors or much of a track system to break and it is actually located under the awning, so I dont need to worry as much about leaks. I do have to say that it is nice to have that couch moved over a foot and a half, gives a bit more room inside.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #21

Slides or no slides

14 ft trlr no slides with 2 kids and 2 adults. The kids stayed out annd preferred it.
Class A 34 or 36 ft no slides. loved it. cordinate your movements with your partner and save $6k per slide (more or less)

Class A 32 2 slides;
There fine if you are holed up someplace, We stay from a few hours to a couplee days. Theyre ok,but not worth the cost IMO.
Any break downs that you cant fix amounts to a huge hassle and not worth it.
The slides rubber seals tend to wear every in and out manuver.I siicone quite often,but i cant get every contact area so when the rubbers begin to tear from siding dry,more hassle and cost.
The overhead slide awning is vunerable to sun,wind so they start to fail.

i just extend the slides about 6 inches to a foot and gives me plenty of room when Im only stopping for a few hours or a day or two

i probably wont get slides again,due to the maintenance I feel compelled to do and probable wear issues as time accumulates on them.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:13 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have 3 slideouts on mine, non hydraulic, two are "Cable cars" (Google: Accu-Slide) and the third is rack and pinion (Power gear) this last one (the main slide out) has been a real expierence as I keep having to replace shear pins but I'm getting better at it.

Frankly.. The added interior space is worth the hassle in my book.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:43 AM   #23

As mentioned before, anything in an RV is subject to wear and tear and the resultant repair. If you want "simple", don't get a refrigerator and use an ice chest, don't get a hot water heater and use Coleman camp stove to heat the water and since you'll have the camp stove for heating water, you can delete the stove/oven while you're at it...

All of the above, including a slide, are "luxuries" that make RVing a "Hilton". Ask any tent camper/backpacker (I used to be one of both). Just like indoor plumbing (bathrooms) on RVs, slides are becoming the "norm" and many, myself included, eliminate non-slide RVs without even looking at them. No-brainer for us...no slide, no consideration. Yes they can "break", but, in my experience, you are more likely to have problems with your water heater or refrigerator before you have a problem with your slide. Most "no slide for me" comments are from those that a) have never had one or b) had one of the earlier models that had less than "tried and true" engineering. The slides made in the last few years have benefited greatly both in design and reliability by field testing of the earlier models.

The benefits of a slide, IMHO, far outweigh the possibility of reliability issues. The never having to say "excuse me, but, I need to get by" is the biggest seller of slides. It is getting increasing harder to find a unit of any type, from 13' to 38', that don't have a slide; that speaks tons to their desirability and reliability.

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:27 AM   #24

You are so right. We all have differemt tolerances for maintenance and repairs.
There is no right and wrong position. It all depends on ones individual makeup.
`
Talk about maintenance issues..Try any type or size sea going rv in salt water.
RV issues are by far much easier to maintain and deal with IMO,
There are many boat owners that dont seem to mind the many repairs and maintenance at all.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #25

I know what you mean. Had a 33' Silverton for years. Compared to the boat, the RVs are a piece of cake

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:07 PM   #26

I bought a 3 year old used TT and had problems with my slide. First outing, it leaked. Brought it home, before bringing it to storage, and then the slide didn't go out. Took it back to the dealer we bought it from and made them fix it. It's been great since. Would I buy another TT/f'ver with a slide. YES! In fact, I may go for a TT/f'ver with more than one slide because they add so much.

Now, one thing that you should consider...how much weight your tow vehicle can handle. Slides will add weight and a lot of weight. We originally had a 2010 1/2 ton SUV and '94 3/4 ton truck but the weight of the TT seemed too much. I've since opted for a 2011 1 ton truck and couldn't be happier. Now at least I am prepared for the 3 slide TT/f'ver that we may eventually look at.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:22 AM   #27

It's all about floorplan and how you use your rig.

We had 2 Class A's before the TT. The 1st had 2 slides the second had 4 and the TT has none.

Never had any real problems with the slides...no mechanical failures, seal failures, etc.

BUT -- slide toppers in windy conditions can be noisy; if you ever want to overnight somewhere where you can't put out the slides (like a truckstop) then it may or may not be usable; the seals around the slides will have some air infriltration meaning that you can get some dust in windy conditions and it will impact your heating/cooling/ some drafts.

All that being said if we were still travelling like we had been in the past (about 50% in an RV) we would have been more inclined to get slides.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:47 PM   #28

Took ours to a family reunion a few weeks ago, and after that, I will never go without slides again. DW and I, plus three kids and my parents along with two small dogs, all in a 26' TT! And it wasn't all that cramped at all! Don't think we could've done it if there wasn't a slide on the unit!

Midnite-CTD is offline   Reply With Quote