Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-11-2011, 11:35 PM   #1

We are thinking of purchasing a new trailer. My wife doesn't want slide-outs, and I don't particularly care for them either. We're CAMPING, not staying at the Hilton. Her concerns are mostly maintenance issues. Either that it's one more thing to break, and they ARE mechanical, or they would leak. Are these valid concerns? Do slide-outs sometimes break and/or leak? Are they worth having? Also, can you slide them out with only battery power, i.e. no electrical hookup?

paulitzlee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
Slide-outs are great in Class A units, I don't know about trailers. Most take quit a bit of power and run on hydraulics, once again I don't know about trailers. I suggest you shop around and ask a lot of questions.

Peppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:45 AM   #3
I tend to think that they are trouble prone by the fact that the extended warranty that I purchased excludes them.

'Nuff said.
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
You're right on both accounts. They can break and they can leak. IMHO, the extra room is well worth it!
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 29R
hoppers4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #5
IMHO if you are only weekenders then slide outs are probably no big deal. But if you are staying in your RV for more than a couple of days at a time it sure is nice to have room to walk past each other without turning sideways. We have three slides in our 2005 fiver and have never had an issue with them. I really think it is far more important to pick a floor plan you both are happy with and can live in for days/weeks at a time without it turning into a "I HATE THIS RV".
Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
I can't say whether they are worth having since I specifically opted to not get them.

Basically my reasoning was the same as yours, another thing to be looked after and fix when broken. Also we have cruised alot and we do fine in the cruise cabin which has similar space to our RV.

In addition when looking at models with slide outs I've noticed that they shrink and lower the windows to accommodate them. I'm tall so the lower windows really make a difference between seeing scenery or pavement. They also take up cabinet space to build the box for the slide to be in. Slides are also weighty and the very honest salesman we were dealing with indicated that the weight made Class A's drive a bit differently because of the concentration of weight in a particular area. I know your looking at a trailer but a heavier weight for you would mean less gas mileage and if one side of the unit with the slide was more weighty it might make for different towing dynamics.

We too are of the mind that we don't need more floor space. We prefer less weight, more storage, larger windows, and less mechanical items to maintain or fix. Everyone's needs are different so for some they are a must. For us they were a must not.

It would be interesting to see more replies on whether people use them without hookups. We have almost never seen them in the campgrounds we go to but then we hardly ever go to a campground with hookups.

Proud owner of 1994 Winnebago Brave 29RQ.
Chevy 454 on a P30 chassis.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
Anything and everything can break. That even goes for the toilet in a trailer. The slideout is a great feature in trailers. It adds a lot of room to a small towable package. Yes, they work on battery only when dry camping. They are well worth the potential for something going wrong. I have small trailer that opens up to pretty good living space with a slideout, never had problems with it.
Yellowreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:22 AM   #8
Originally Posted by paulitzlee2 View Post
we are thinking of purchasing a new trailer. My wife doesn't want slide-outs, and i don't particularly care for them either. We're camping, not staying at the hilton. Her concerns are mostly maintenance issues. Either that it's one more thing to break, and they are mechanical, or they would leak. Are these valid concerns? Do slide-outs sometimes break and/or leak? Are they worth having? Also, can you slide them out with only battery power, i.e. No electrical hookup?

we have had slide-outs on eveything we've owned and they make all the difference to us, we have never had one to leak and have never had one that we've had to have worked on. Almost all extended warranties cover slide-outs.
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:31 AM   #9
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
You're right on both accounts. They can break and they can leak. IMHO, the extra room is well worth it!
Our DSPD has one slide (out of three) that requires us to help push/pull it in. It's a flat floor unit and comes up about 3 inches up a fairly steep incline. I've lubed it and replaced the controller and no change. The only thing left is the motor and it's over $600. What I really should do is pull it out and take it to a rewind shop.
We are supposed to be hooked to shore power or have the engine running when moving the slides either in or out. Same for the leveling jacks.
BUT, we wouldn't have a rig without slides either.
We've never had a leak from ours in the 9 years we've owned it.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:20 AM   #10
Vintage RV Owners Club
IMHO, they are wonderful if you're full time, and they are a total waste of money, weight, loss in gas mileage, etc. if you want to go camping! We have lived in a quad slide for 7 years--we've been going camping for years in a tent, then moved up to a slide in truck camper, and now we are getting our 1979 motorhome ready for the road. Just can't get that "camping" feeling in a huge rig.
Dinah, Keith & 2 furballs
2004 McKenzie Medallion 36SKQ (full time and workin' for a livin')
dinahkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:38 AM   #11
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can't miss what you've never had or experienced.
Bill, enrolled member of Choctaw Tribe. 2005 Fleetwood/Revolution,AFE Filter,Aero Exhaust,Koni FSD shocks,KarKaddy SS. Progressive HW-50C.
okie-dokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:56 AM   #12
We have had both. A 25' no slide and a 30' with slide. The 30', we've had for 5 years and no problems with the slide. The extra space with the slide really makes a diference. Ours is a deep slide ,42" and almost doubles the width of our TT. I would not buy anoter TT without a slide.
2014 Wildwood 27RKSS 2004 Nissan Titan Pilot Steve
Co-Pilot Marlene Furry Four Leg children: Fancy Lab/Chow, LB Little Bit, Maltese, Rocky, Border Terrier
StStg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:16 PM   #13
Texas Boomers Club
We had a 12' long super slide in our last trailer. Had trouble getting it in a couple of times. Always had to dry it off when we pulled it in when raining. Had some problems with it leaking if the wind was blowing rain hard into that side of trailer.

The trailer we have now has no slides. To be honest, we have not missed the slide. Don't have to worry if we are parked with clearance to extend the slide or leaks, or drying it when leaving in the rain. We spent 16 days in the trailer last year at one time with our 20 yr old son along. This year our trip will be for a month with no kid.

Simple is better most of the time.
Ron & Ellen Norton
2016 Grand Design Reflection pulled by 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 6.7 Cummins
TexasPSDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:54 AM   #14
Floor Plan, Floor Plan, Floor Plan: Pick a floor plan that works for you. If you go with slides, look to higher quality units. Had a lower quality TT and had problems with it's small slide. Now have a higher quality 5er with 2 slides and now problems, but we plan to live in the 5er for the winter so we want the extra space and it's nice if one is fixing meals the other can get by to the other areas of the unit.

2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote