Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2014, 08:39 PM   #1

Slide won't open on 2008 Keystone Sydney Outback

We have a 2008 Keystone Sydney Outback and the rear slide out will not go out. The front one will, but when I push the button for the rear slide out there is just a clicking noise. Any suggestions
timandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2014, 08:12 AM   #2

I could give you more trouble shooting advice if I knew more about your slide mechanisms. Are they electric mechanical drive or hydraulic drive? If electric is it a rack & pinion, cable, screw or what sort of drive?

Since you hear a clicking, that would seem to indicate that you have power available but have you tried to locate the source of that clicking?
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by timandchris View Post
We have a 2008 Keystone Sydney Outback and the rear slide out will not go out. The front one will, but when I push the button for the rear slide out there is just a clicking noise. Any suggestions
I have had at one time or another an issue with slides not opening up. You activate the switch and you can here the motor turning (clicking) but no action on the slide. Correct?

Will one area to look at is under the slide there should be a bell housing that is up against the frame this is mounted on a thread rod and has a nut tight against it also. This thread rod is part of the slide mechanism to move the slide in and out. This is the limit positioner to prevent the slide from entering the camper too far. What I have found out in the past that this can also prevent the slide from moving. If this is the case; only trial and error will tell you.

So you will need the following items: A sharpie marker black, if you have it. At least a 1-16 open ended wrench you may need a 1-1/8, depending on flats size of nut. A 12” pipe wrench for the bell housing.

Mark the position of the nut on the rod so you can reposition the nut after you have back the nut off.

Loosen the nut at least 5 threads away from the bell housing.

Mark the front of the bell housing on the rod also front face.

You will need the pipe wrench to loosen the bell housing a couple of turns.

Now open up the slide it should move out for you.

Go back under the slide and reposition the bell housing to the second mark on the rod you can move the housing one turn out from this mark.

Tighten the nut against the bell housing using the pipe wrench to hold the bell housing in place.

Now reactivate the slide to see if it will close and open for you.

I have done this on both of my 5ers from time to time; if someone other than my wife and or I close the slide, such as grandkids helping out.

Jim W.

Tags
slide