Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2005, 07:56 AM   #1

Has anyone ever made their own version of a slide-out cover?

Our rig has a demi-slide (couch area slides out about 2-3') and it didn't come with a slide-cover. The service tech who did our walk-thru said he personally hates them as leaves still blow through the sides and you end up having to broom them out or hose them out anyway. He also said that paperwasps (which we have a problem with out here) tend to like to make their hanging nests under the slideouts, so he didn't recommend getting one.

However, after just two broomings, both my DH and I are thinking that a cover would be in order and wondered if anyone had ever tried making their own?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2005, 07:56 AM   #2

Has anyone ever made their own version of a slide-out cover?

Our rig has a demi-slide (couch area slides out about 2-3') and it didn't come with a slide-cover. The service tech who did our walk-thru said he personally hates them as leaves still blow through the sides and you end up having to broom them out or hose them out anyway. He also said that paperwasps (which we have a problem with out here) tend to like to make their hanging nests under the slideouts, so he didn't recommend getting one.

However, after just two broomings, both my DH and I are thinking that a cover would be in order and wondered if anyone had ever tried making their own?

Old 08-30-2005, 10:33 AM   #3

For something like that, I would first try to buy an aftermarket unit. Camping World carries them.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:21 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
I've also been considering putting slide covers on all three of our slide ous. I hate having to climb up on the roof, particularly when it is wet with dew, or from rain, to sweep off, or squeege off the slide roofs.

Probably the most expensive, but Carefree of Colorado has a new style cover that arches up to keep rain water from puddling and stretching the vinyl fabric. That is one of the biggest complaints I read on various forms, about the pro's and con's of slide covers.

As with the previous post, rain and debris can blow in under the covers, so after a storm, you may still have to get up on a step stool and check, but I would think the covers would reduce the issue considerably.

Ratracer
Old 09-28-2005, 04:33 PM   #5

I have had slide awnings on the last two motorhomes. I lost one on each rig, one to high winds and the other billowed while driving. I will not have another one. I really got sick of cleaning out under them and the noise in the wind at night drove me nuts.

Before going to all that expense, try this simple slide cleaner. Tie a large old bath towel into the middle of a soft 50' cotton rope. Throw the towel up onto the slide with one end of the rope coming off each end of the slide. Starting up next to the coach, pull the towel to one end of the slide (don't be standing under it or you will get leaves and pine cones on your head). Move the towel out a few inches and pull it to the other end, etc until you have covered the whole slide. Takes about 30 seconds per slide with one person on each end of the rope.

Bob
Old 09-28-2005, 05:07 PM   #6

Good idea, Bob! Thanks!
Old 09-29-2005, 10:23 AM   #7

I have a Carefree Slide Kover II on my Jayco. It's been there since new, and I have yet to have anything blow up under it, and I've been under the oaks in some nasty weather. I used to get concerned about the water puddling on it, but it only pulls it down about 2-3 inches before it contacts the slideout roof. When you get ready to leave and bring the slide in, any water or debris on the cover just falls off the edge as it is coming in. I wouldn't have a RV without one.

2002 Jayco Eagle 300FSS Travel Trailer, 2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 w/Duramax, RDS 60 Gallon Toolbx/Tank Combo, Edge EZ, Boost Stick, Bilstein Shocks, Michelin 265 MS2, Isspro Pyrometer and Boost Gauges, ARE Topper, Honda EU3000
Roy W. is offline   Reply With Quote