Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2017, 07:11 AM   #1

Small bubbles in fiberglass

Just bought a used 2016 Palomino Solaire 267BHSE. Didn't notice upon pre-buy inspection, but it has 2 small-ish bubbles in the fiberglass exterior. No signs of water issues on the inside near the spots. Camper is only a year old and caulk seal is still pretty good. So I have a few questions:

- Is it possible they're just manufacturing defects?
- If they are, are they likely to grow or remain as-is?
- What is ease of repair (and cost)?

Planning to keep this camper at least 4-5 years - what is the best long-term solution for these spots?

Picture below. The other one is a little bigger - maybe 4-5 inches tall by 2 inches wide.

patriot07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2017, 09:39 AM   #2

That is where the ad hives did not hold the siding.it could and will get worse to fix it take it to a dealer .what I did to mine was live with it I had a older motor home.
gjw319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:05 AM   #3

I'm not sure I'd be okay with that, it should be fixed immediately imo, by the dealer
Yillbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:24 AM   #4

I really am not sure if the company will warranty that due to the fact that you bought it use used
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:26 AM   #5

Oops didn't quite get out what I wanted to say but I do believe it needs to be done now as I would really think it would probably just grow if you can get the company to warranted great if not I would take it to somebody who repairs fiberglass boats. I've heard that they can do some great work and someone work on campers period but I would not Let It go for too long as I think it would grow period it is definitely delamination bubble.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:57 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. Yes it is definitely not under warranty since it's used. I'll probably Call Palomino to see if they would mind helping since I think it was actually not purchased until last fall and this is unacceptable for a unit that was purchased new less than a year ago. Got a great deal on it, so it's not a huge deal if I have to pay a bit to get it repaired, but if repair cost is high then I don't think it would be unreasonable to hope to get some manufacturer help. I'm planning on having it a long time and it will be under covered storage, so I think if I can get it in good shape, it should stay that way with proper maintenance.

Bought it on Thursday and took it to a state park on Friday/Saturday. Had a great time.

I'll try calling a local fiberglass shop and the local dealership to see what it would cost.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:39 AM   #7

Anyone have any luck trying to poke a small hole in it and shoot some adhesive in there, roll it flat, wipe up the excess, and seal up the hole?

Talked to a couple of dealers today and there are definitely no affordable repair options if the manufacturer won't help.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:22 AM   #8

are you sure that is not just a bubble in the graphix?

if it is in fact delamination, there are ways to fix. Yes drill hole 1/8'' or so, thin down some epoxy and insert with a syringe and then brace it flat.

I would also call the mfg as well
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
are you sure that is not just a bubble in the graphix?

if it is in fact delamination, there are ways to fix. Yes drill hole 1/8'' or so, thin down some epoxy and insert with a syringe and then brace it flat.

I would also call the mfg as well
What do you mean a bubble in the graphix? Is there an outer skin layer and then fiberglass underneath? How would I know how deep the issue is?

It moves fairly easily when you push against it, so I would guess the layers affected are not very thick. However, I don't think it is just a bubble under the decal. The other one is not underneath a decal like the one in the picture, but I suppose the back one could be. They seem equally flexible when pressed, so I doubt it.

I will definitely be calling the manufacturer. Only reason I'm trying to fix now is that I don't want them to grow and become more expensive to fix later.

What type of epoxy would you use for a fix like you're describing?
Old 06-20-2017, 03:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot07 View Post
What do you mean a bubble in the graphix? Is there an outer skin layer and then fiberglass underneath? How would I know how deep the issue is?

It moves fairly easily when you push against it, so I would guess the layers affected are not very thick. However, I don't think it is just a bubble under the decal. The other one is not underneath a decal like the one in the picture, but I suppose the back one could be. They seem equally flexible when pressed, so I doubt it.

I will definitely be calling the manufacturer. Only reason I'm trying to fix now is that I don't want them to grow and become more expensive to fix later.

What type of epoxy would you use for a fix like you're describing?
Most graphix are just vinal. They go on after the fact.

Take a sewing needle and pop it and see.

I have done a lot of fibre glass work in boats.

I use West Systems epoxy. It can be thinned with alcohol. Look them up.

Or google rv delamination repair and there are a few companies that provide full kits.

I am with you something small is easy fix...get it before it gets worse. Hopefully its not an indication of future issues of the same
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:09 PM   #11

Based on what the rest of that side looks like from the picture I'd say it's the decal, if so just need to relieve the excess air behind it by poking pinhole and using a flat edge to push the air out. If it's de-lam'd it's a bigger deal and if you don't know what you're doing you can make it worse. It's a camper, not a rolls!
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:03 PM   #12

Buble repairs

Try contacting the manufacturer. Bring it to an RV dealer so they can see and give you an estimate. Then if the manufacturer won't help contact Trailer Life Action line. Good luck and keep us posted.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-3 View Post
Try contacting the manufacturer. Bring it to an RV dealer so they can see and give you an estimate. Then if the manufacturer won't help contact Trailer Life Action line. Good luck and keep us posted.
Talked to the dealer again today and they are really backed up in service. They are going to have me bring it in on July 19 for evaluation/pictures/measurements/estimate/etc. and they're going to contact the manufacturer to see if they'll cover it since it's so new.

What is trailer life action line?

The dealer said they have a more affordable option where they cut out only the bubbled area and build up the filon and fiberglass and re-finish it and seal it up so it looks like new. Seems like a good option for small spots like this that are in primarily non-structural areas. Guy on the phone said it should be less than $1,000 for two small spots, which is way cheaper than if the spots get bigger down the road, or way cheaper than if I try to fix it myself and screw it up even worse. Going to see what they can do before I make any drastic moves.

Thank you to everyone for the help. This is a fantastic forum.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:54 PM   #14

Finally dropped it off at the dealer today. Sounds like they're not really interested in the easy option if we go to the manufacturer. If dealer can't get help from the Forest River (who is clearly at fault here), then I think I'm going to be working with the dealership to find an affordable solution. So my question: what epoxy/adhesive/etc do manufacturers use to attach the filon to the plywood or whatever is underneath? May end up injecting some and bracing it flat and calling it good, but I don't know what adhesive to use.

Tags
fiberglass