Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarcola View Post
I think it was [I]Trailer Life[I] magazine that recently compared the Honda and Yamaha 2000 Watt inverter generators. They were both rated highly, but there were several features on the Yamaha that made them rank it above the Honda.
Thank you very much for this post. I'll be looking at the Yamaha

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2011, 08:50 PM   #16

Gas cap on top and a lift out filter in the filler hole, gauge, economy mode, air intake on the ends instead of the bottom where it can suck in dirt. Haven't done a side-by-side though, but I will the next time I see one.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:03 PM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
I found a deal on a Honda 2000EU that I can't pass up (Craigs List-less than 10 minutes from where I live). Brand new in the box with parallel connector-full warrantee. $900.

I need to research the safest way to carry gasoline in the back of my truck.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:45 PM   #18

You can buy metal cans with a positive seal lid, and I think the new plastic ones have some sort of safety lid by law.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:05 AM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
You can buy metal cans with a positive seal lid, and I think the new plastic ones have some sort of safety lid by law.
I was looking at this one.
Amazon.com: No-Spill 1415 1-1/4-Gallon Poly Gas Can (CARB Compliant): Patio, Lawn & Garden

I'll figure out a way to bungee something about this size in the bed of the truck so that it won't move around. What do you think?
Old 10-29-2011, 12:43 AM   #20

That should work. If it is going to be an ongoing thing to keep the gas in the bed, I would make a metal frame to sit in and bungee it there. All it would need to be is an inch or two tall with a couple of holes to hook the bungee to or maybe some screw in eyelets to hook the bungees to if you don't mind drilling a couple holes in the bed. I alway make something like that
so it can be removed with no trace it was ever there, but that's just me.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:54 AM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
That should work. If it is going to be an ongoing thing to keep the gas in the bed, I would make a metal frame to sit in and bungee it there. All it would need to be is an inch or two tall with a couple of holes to hook the bungee to or maybe some screw in eyelets to hook the bungees to if you don't mine drilling a couple holes in the bed. I alway make something like that
so it can be removed with no trace it was ever there, but that's just me.
I'll see if one of my sons can do it for me. I wish every day of my life that I had watched everything my husband did. He had so much to teach, but I never thought I'd have to know how to do things without him. I thought the can was a good size. Thanks very much for your anchoring suggestion.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:26 AM   #22

That 1-1/4 gallon can would be good for one tank full, which is good for quite a few hours. Either get a couple or a larger one. Check WM, they have several sizes.

I learned a lot from my dad, but mostly from experience. Like a computer; nobody can teach you; you have to do it yourself to learn anything. So much for the "book smart" people. Some don't know what a screwdriver is, others don't know which end to hold.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #23

Send a message via Yahoo to Biken201
I bought my Yamaha EF2400is a few years ago and have been very happy with it. If I had to do it over again, I'd buy a 2000 for the following reasons:

- portability: the 2400 is a little heavy (70lbs) and awkward to carry.
- The 2400 will not start/run my AC, so the extra 400w is mostly not needed.
- the 2400 does not have the ability to be run in tandem with another unit.

Otherwise, I'm very happy with it. I usually leave it in the bed of my truck and run an extension cord to it (if needed). Having a generator when boondocking makes a world of difference.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #24

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Honda Generator

I have two 2000i Honda generators that are fantastically quiet and have the Honda reliability that just can't be beat by any competitor. I have a son in law that works for Yamaha and I still bought the Honda's. I run the two units in tandem when two are required and use an auxillary fuel tank that I made myself to supply extra gas for long running. The regular generator tanks will give seven hours under light load and five hours with the AC running. With the auxillary tank (5 gallons + 2 gallons in the generators) I can go 24 hours with AC full load. By the way Yamaha has left the generator market, so anything that remains in stock may be difficult to obtain parts for.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:29 PM   #25

Which charger you select will be equally if not more important than the generator. You will need a good 3-stage charger in at least the 40-50 amp range to bring up your battery in a reasonable amount of time (couple of hours.) The common inexpensive charger/converters provided as OEM equipment on many RVs will not charge at a high enough rate to do the job if you don't want to be running that generator all day. You can either buy a good-quality external charger, or probably a better value might be to replace your existing converter with one of the better 3-stage units (unless that is what you already have of course.)
Old 10-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
I have one of the cheap Champions (3/3.5k) for the house. I LOVE it. Its a little loud but it starts on the second pull. It will run 12 hours on a tank.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:41 PM   #27

Akibase, are you saying the Yamaha is not reliable? Pretty harsh words for not owning one or any stats to back it up.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:36 AM   #28

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Honda vs. Yamaha

I am not saying that Yamaha is not reliable. I have been running a construction company for many many years and we found that the most reliable engine on any piece of small equipment, was always a Honda. Honda equipment has always had a extremely good reputation for reliability. Honda has proven itself over and over again to me personally,both in business and leisure activities. I have two Honda generators, a Honda water pump, a Honda snow blower, a Honda scooter, and my wife and kids have had several Honda cars.
As well, I am sure that many others are reliable as well. But if something or somebody gives you great service, why not let it be known. Honda has given me and my company exceptional service. Whenever we bought new small equipment, and it was available with Honda power, that is what we bought.
By the way, I would also recommend Crown Royal. It as well has given me great service LOL

Tags
generator