Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2012, 05:27 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In my opinion I would look at the Honda generators. They may cost a bit more but they are quiet and small compared to other brands. I was more then impressed after having to use one.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As noted, the Honda and the Yamaha generators cost more, but you get what you pay for. Honda has a nation wide network of dealer and reapir shops. The little 2 cycle jobs from Northern Tool and Harbor freight are basically throw away units. If it breaks---good luck finding parts.

The Honda Eu1000i will run a microwave and let you recharge batteries. The EU2000i will run a small A/C.

Ken

Old 06-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #17

I just did this whole song and dance. I ended up getting a Honda 1000ui off the shelf for $799. I love it.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiberCamper View Post
I just did this whole song and dance. I ended up getting a Honda 1000ui off the shelf for $799. I love it.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:27 AM   #19

when it comes to generators a lot f people wont think out side the red and blue boxs. I have a little 2 stroke got from(gio) ebay 800watt runs great, charges batters, $53.00 used all last summer and still going it makes some noise, if it breaks in the trash it goes, I did break the rewind got 2 new ones for 20.00 great deal.I also have a 3000p3 gen/inverter from napa, check them out for small 4 strokes good prices, dont be to scared to by from china they came a long way at 1 time we wouldnt buy anything from japan.

just my 2 cents
gbstewart
Old 06-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
when it comes to generators a lot f people wont think out side the red and blue boxs. I have a little 2 stroke got from(gio) ebay 800watt runs great, charges batters, $53.00 used all last summer and still going it makes some noise, if it breaks in the trash it goes, I did break the rewind got 2 new ones for 20.00 great deal.I also have a 3000p3 gen/inverter from napa, check them out for small 4 strokes good prices, dont be to scared to by from china they came a long way at 1 time we wouldnt buy anything from japan.

just my 2 cents
gbstewart
Just something about that pure sine wave makes me feel good about spending a few extra bucks.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirageags View Post
I found i can get a champion 1200/1500 for 189 at home depot. Much Quieter but looks like it would be heavier.
You'll probably be sorry you spent the money. As others have suggesteded, you get what you pay for. The Honda and Yamaha inverter generators are a lot more money, but they will last "forever" with no problems, and they will start easily with one or two pulls on the starter. And they are quiet enough that your neighbors probably won't know your generator is running. And they sip gas. My EU2000i will run all night to keep the battery charged and run the furnace without running out of gas.

The Honda inverter generators are available in 1,000, 2,000 and 3,000 watt versions. The 1,000 is not good for much more than charging your RV batteries and running the lights. The EU2000i I have is good for most things in the RV, including the microwave, but not the AC. For the AC, you need the 3000, which is a lot heavier to manhandle, or two i2000EUs tied together with a special Honda connection.

For RVing, I use the EU2000i in spring and fall when I don't need to run the AC, but may need the furnace or microwave. And I use my i2000EU for a lot more than RVing. It's easily portable, so I use it around the farm where I need some juice, such as for running a recip saw to trim trees or cut down mesquites, or to run an electric impact wrench for changing a trailer tire where electricity is not available within reach of my 100-foot extension cord.
Honda EU2000i Quiet Generator (EU2000iA) WiseSales.com

I also have a big Honda 5,000-watt generator for use when boondocking to run the AC and everything else. It's quieter than most generators of similar output, but not nearly as quite as the EU2000i. Plus it's about all the weight and size an old man can handle to load it onto the luggage carrier at the back of the 5er. My EU2000i easily fits in the basement luggage area of the 5er, and it's light enough I can easily load and unload it and move it about.

If I were starting over today, I'd buy one EU2000i and one EU2000i Companion, and tie them together parallel when I needed to run the AC. Or run just one of them when the AC was not needed. Or maybe two EU2000i plus the special Honda cable that parallels them and includes a 30-amp outlet to plug in the RV cable.
Wise Buys - Honda Paralleled Generators WiseSales.com

Before I gave up and bought the Honda 5000, I went through a couple of cheaper generators in the 4,500 to 6,500 watt size. I even ordered a special muffler to quiet down the cheaper generator, but it was still too noisy, burned too much gas, and was often hard to start. Lesson learned. You get what you pay for.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:41 AM   #22

I tried using my 5500w Troy Built generator to run the RV over the weekend while we cleaned it at the house. No luck. The thing would run the AC for about 5 minutes and then kick its own breaker off? Not sure why as this should be plenty of power for my trailer.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:51 AM   #23

I had the Honda 3000i, it was just to heavy to lug around. I sold it and bought two Honda 2000s. Togeather they work for anything my RV needs. If I dont need AC one running is enough. I am curious about the Dometic 3000. It is lighter and smaller than the Honda 3000i.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:19 AM   #24

I started with a home depot LOUD generator. Used it for two trips then sold it and bought a Yamaha 2400. Runs my air 13.5 easily but still did add hard start in case we were at altitude or it was really hot out. I would wait to get one that puts out clean power and you can stand next to and still hold a conversation.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
We use two Honda EU2000i generators. We run one to do every thing but the AC and pair them when we need AC. We got ours 8+ years ago and they still start on one pull. They were cheaper back then so, we got lucky. But even at 2012 pricing I recommend them to everyone as the best way to go.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:31 AM   #26

Right now, you can buy a Champion 73536i inverter generator for $500. It is rated at 1700W, 2000W peak. That is 100W more than Honda's 1600W.

For the price of a 2000W Honda EU2000I, you can get two of these and the parallel kit to hook them together, and have some change left over.

The noise rating is 53 dBA at 23 ft. at 1/4 load. That is the same as the Honda. It has a pure sine wave output, just like Honda. It is CARB compliant, just like the Honda.

It weighs 53 lbs. It has two handles for easy carrying. The Honda has one. They stack for easy parallel operation. The Honda doesn't. It usually starts on the first or second pull, just like the Honda.

Although they are made in China, the factory is owned by Champion which is an American company. Parts are easily available. There is a wide dealer network that includes Home Depot, Cabela's, Costco, Sam's Club, and many others. If needed, I can get it repaired at my local Ace Hardware store.

Will somebody please tell my why I should not want to go yellow instead of red or blue?
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #27

I would buy the champion, in a hart beat, I have a nice p 3000 inverter/gen love it if I painted it red it could be a honda, i put it side by side with a honda eu 3000 it was just as good, may not last as long but it was 1100. cheaper and came with remote start, im hopeing honda will wake up and lower there prices(here in canada there higher then usa) I would love to have a nice new eu 3000 honda but $2800 a bit to much for me

just my 2 cents gbstewart
Old 06-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder
Right now, you can buy a Champion 73536i inverter generator for $500. It is rated at 1700W, 2000W peak. That is 100W more than Honda's 1600W.

For the price of a 2000W Honda EU2000I, you can get two of these and the parallel kit to hook them together, and have some change left over.

The noise rating is 53 dBA at 23 ft. at 1/4 load. That is the same as the Honda. It has a pure sine wave output, just like Honda. It is CARB compliant, just like the Honda.

It weighs 53 lbs. It has two handles for easy carrying. The Honda has one. They stack for easy parallel operation. The Honda doesn't. It usually starts on the first or second pull, just like the Honda.

Although they are made in China, the factory is owned by Champion which is an American company. Parts are easily available. There is a wide dealer network that includes Home Depot, Cabela's, Costco, Sam's Club, and many others. If needed, I can get it repaired at my local Ace Hardware store.

Will somebody please tell my why I should not want to go yellow instead of red or blue?

I tried them - well one of them. It couldn't handle my TT even with minimal load (no AC, lights on, fridge on, radio on). As soon as I put any load on it it would die. I never took the 2nd one out of the box to see if it made a difference. I want a generator to run the AC. I don't think the two would do it. I think Champion's ratings are optimistic. It was quiet though. They had that right.