Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #29

I bought my son a Champion 3000-3600 watt generator wired for 30 amp Rv for his TT. Costr with cover, cart, shipping, etc. was $300.00. He has run it now for 4 years without any problems whatsoever. It handles his 29'TT including the AC and microwave. It is much more quiet than any of the other non Honda,Yamaha gennies we have heard. BTW my grandson 8-11 years old at the time raced go-carts. We purchased the Harbor Freight 6.5 hp 4 cycle engines. They cost $100.00 as compared to the racing Briggs and Strattons $1200.00. They would easily run an entire season turned up to run 6000 rpms. The point here is they are an exact Honda clone and used on many generators including Champion. We would use the Honda service manul to work on the engines. Just a bit more info for y'all.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2012, 11:47 PM   #30

small generator

I bought a chinese made Kipor,it's very yellow with a Champion sticker on it. A 1000watt peak,900watt runing inverter. Light, clean,neat, just like the Honda. But Champion doesn't sell them anymore,which is why I got it on a closeout price. The down side is 59db at 23feet is noisy. I would think the Kipor labeled ones are just as bad.My smart charger at 40amps(845watts) tripped it,but was OK with 30amps.

This May we camped for a week in a forestry rec site, no power,or water for that matter,and it got cold at night ,below freezing. On our well insulated Creekside 20FQ with the LED lights,fridge,furnace fan and my CPAC machine, the double 24s only required one afternoon of charging.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyWhoTris View Post
I tried them - well one of them. It couldn't handle my TT even with minimal load (no AC, lights on, fridge on, radio on). As soon as I put any load on it it would die. I never took the 2nd one out of the box to see if it made a difference. I want a generator to run the AC. I don't think the two would do it. I think Champion's ratings are optimistic. It was quiet though. They had that right.
I have a Champion 2000i and it will run the fridge, TV, microwave, and lights all in one shot. My guess is that you have trailer electric consumption issues more than the Champion has problems meeting it's advertised wattage.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #32

Hi all, newbie here and appreciate all the comments I've read. Looking on Craigslist and see Coleman powermates and generac generators? Anyone have any experience with those?
Thanks all!

Jason
Old 06-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayriggs11 View Post
Hi all, newbie here and appreciate all the comments I've read. Looking on Craigslist and see Coleman powermates and generac generators? Anyone have any experience with those?
Thanks all!

Jason

These are probably the loud contractor grade generators. For the sake of folks near you, I do not recommend them at all for RV duty.

I suggest you stick with Honda or Yamah. If you want a Chines generator, try Kipor or Boyli, but good luck when they break.

Ken
Old 06-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayriggs11 View Post
Looking on Craigslist and see Coleman powermates and generac generators? Anyone have any experience with those?
Yes, I have owned two or three different Coleman PowerMates, with both Briggs&Stratton and Tecumseh engines. Generac is very similar to the Coleman. They are cheap but loud and irritating and hard to start and not very reliable over the long run. I even paid over $100 for a big muffler to quieten down a Coleman Powermate. It quieted down a bit, but it was still too loud and irritating racket.

Save your money until you can afford a Honda EU inverter generator or Yamaha inverter. If an EU2000i or EU3000i is not big enough, then buy two and tie them together with a parallel cord.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:01 AM   #35

Take a look at the Champion 2000W inverter generators, either the 73536i or the 73531i. They have the same 53 dbA noise spec as the Honda and Yamaha, but tend to be about half the price. At 48 lbs. they are easy to move around.

Champion is an American company that owns the factory in China. They have a very large dealer network, so repairs or parts are easier to come by than with Kipor, Boliy, or other Chinese made gernertors.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #36

Honda case closed
Old 07-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #37

The Yamis are said to be both cheaper and better. But with my budget,I'll likely end up with a Bolly.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:12 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete1985 View Post
Honda case closed
Would you care to tell us why we should spend $1000 for a 2000 watt Honda, when for $500 We can buy a Champion with virtually identical specs?

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
Would you care to tell us why we should spend $1000 for a 2000 watt Honda, when for $500 We can buy a Champion with virtually identical specs?

Joel
All I can say is go and see if you can hear them run. Then come back and tell me why you have a Honda
Old 07-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #40

I ended up getting a 1800 champion from tractor supply shipped for 199. My ac only uses 4.7 or something amps becuase its really tiny and this is like 11 so iy should be plenty. Now running the 900'watt microwave together may tax it or pop it. The specs say 65 decibles and on youtube someone had a video up. When he walked 15 foot away you could barely hear it. Ill report on it when it comes in and i break it in. Still much more power and quieter than that 2 stroke. And i think still 1 year warrenty.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Look closely at the sound measurement rating...dBA, weighted and at what distance.

65 dbA at 3m is not the same as 65 dBA at 15 feet. A difference of 3dBa is a doubling of the sound power level. The dBA scale is a logarithmic scale...not straight line.

Here is information on the sound and distance.....Inverse Square Law for Sound

Ken
Old 07-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I'd swear some of those contractor-grade generators are rated 65 dBA @ 5 miles, but the individuals who buy them still claim "they're rated 65 dBA."

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote