RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2019, 05:19 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Small TT Recommendation

We are downsizing from our current 27' Class B+ and would like recommendations for a small well built Travel Trailer. We will be using our 2015 Cadillac SRX to tow the trailer (3500lb towing capacity) and need to keep the TT weight at 3000lb or below. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

rpgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2019, 05:55 PM   #2

Light means flimsy most of the time, high quality means heavy. So you are facing a problem with your tow vehicle. The light end of the RV world is filled with Popups, Aframes, Teardrops, and maybe Trail Manors which would be the best of the lot.

Popups are just OK for short trips, longer trips become horror stories. I know from experience we went thru three of them. They have tiny 12 inch wheels which overheat at anything over 45 mph and have blowouts. And finding a 12 inch tire in Lost Mule, Nevada on Sunday is not so easy.

Aframes and Teardrops are grossly overpriced in my view. I assume they also have 12 inch wheels.

The Trail Manors are something like super popups, they have 14 inch or maybe bigger wheels. Their drawback is that you have to crank up the upper section on them when you stop and crank it down when you leave. The bathroom is rudimentary. We had one and it was much better than popups and we put a lot of miles on it. They tow very easily since they are half height and put less of a strain on a marginal tow vehicle. We towed our with a Burb 1500. There is another brand with the same type of setup but I don't recall the name.

Frankly dumping your Class B may not have been the best in terms of comfort.

Anyway RV show season is here I suggest finding one or more and seeing what is available. However do not believe a word of what an RV salesman says when you ask him if you can tow it with your vehicle. They lie.

"Mr RV salesman, can I tow that 45 ft fifth wheel with my Prius?"
"Absolutely no problem" The RV salesman replies. Thinking once I have their signature on the contract it's their problem.

Ask to see the sticker with the unit's theoretical weight on it to give you an idea of whether you can tow it. I say theoretical weight since they are usually heavier than what the sticker says. The only way to know is to have it weighed. Tongue weight is a major issue too, I'd guess it may be 500 pounds but you need to find out.

Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:03 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
https://camperreport.com/11-of-the-b...ket-right-now/
camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:10 PM   #4

the R-PODS are really popular in our are area, check them out in the link above.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper8251 View Post
Add Casita and TAB@ to the list of smalls.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:08 PM   #6

I'd check out Oliver trailers to see if they are something you are interested in.
https://olivertraveltrailers.com/?ut...IaArGsEALw_wcB

At a lower price point, consider a Winnebago Mini. Or. look at Lance trailers, but they will be heavier .
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:53 PM   #7

Actually it is the Winnebago Micro Mini and Winnebago Drop that you need to look at. The Winnebago Mini is going to be too heavy.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Actually it is the Winnebago Micro Mini and Winnebago Drop that you need to look at. The Winnebago Mini is going to be too heavy.
Very good point. I reread the OP's post and I didn't pay attention to his weight limit when I made my post. So, Oliver trailers would not work.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:54 PM   #9

With only a 3,500-lb towing capacity, you are limited to only medium to low weight pop-ups and the lightest of tear drops. Any kind of travel trailer or even R-Pod are out of the question due to required tongue weight and elevated wind resistance. From your 3,500-lb tow rating, you must deduct the weight of all passengers, driver weight over 150-lbs, all cargo in the tow vehicle, plus all cargo and options in the pop-up. Now you are closer to the “dry weight” or “UVW-Unloaded Vehicle Weight” that you might find in manufacturer’s brochures. You may find that you are limited to only about 2,000-lb “dry” weight pop-up, which is about medium weight. Forget about the larger pop-ups with high walls or slide-outs. Remember, your “SUV” is really a CUV, crossover (car/minivan based). Our old minivan could tow 3,500-lbs and we pulled a 2,000-lb pop-up plus the kids and all the ‘stuff’ we needed for camping. That p’up was about the limit. Went through one transmission towing in the mountains. Happy hunting and Happy Camping!
Old 11-01-2019, 08:19 PM   #10

For anything larger, I would recommend a tow vehicle with 5,000-lb tow capacity. This will require a CUV with AWD and tow package to get that higher rating. This opens up a whole lot more variety for you to choose from.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Flyer View Post
For anything larger, I would recommend a tow vehicle with 5,000-lb tow capacity. This will require a CUV with AWD and tow package to get that higher rating. This opens up a whole lot more variety for you to choose from.
X2.

I do like these from IntechRV, all aluminum framing, one piece roof, seem to be a quality build. The Sol Dawn is the smaller of the two Sol models.
https://youtu.be/UNCxXWtmmu0
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:34 PM   #12

If you want to still RV in any kind of comfort I would recommend trading the fancy SUV that can not tow much and buy a F-150 with the 2.7 EcoBoost engine. If you have never driven this truck you really owe it to yourself to go see why people will buy about 900,000 Ford trucks this year. This truck will ride very nice. Or, if you like fancy things look at the 2019 Ram 1500's. That interior is top notch and is as good as any Lexus or BMW interior.

That way you can at least buy a trailer with a walk around queen bed.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:01 AM   #13

the R-Pod RP-171 has a UVW of 2342# and a hitch weight of 242# and CCC 900# it would leave you with apr. 700# to play with. its 18.4 long 96" wide.
there's something to be said about trading your cady for a 1500 pickup. we have a 1500 2010 GMC crew cab with everything on it. we also have a new Toyota Highlander, we would much rather travel in the GMC than the Toyota. the GMC rides as smooth and gets near as good gas mileage. I has all the luxuries any other car has and very comfortable to drive. it also pulls my 6500 27' T/T with no problems.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:43 PM   #14

Nor'easters Club
After lots of research, my wife and I settled on a Little Guy MiniMax. Not flimsy, and not overpriced based on the construction and features. Dry weight <2000#; we tow with a 2017 Tacoma SRV. 15" tires and 2.5" axle lift.

https://nucamprv.com/

https://golittleguy.com/

rosebud1218 is offline   Reply With Quote