Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2015, 11:48 PM   #1

Smaller TTs fading away?

We have just bought our first TT, a minty preowned 2007 Nash 19B.
Doing tons of reading on here, and it occurs to me that the vast majority of posts are from people who already own, or are looking at buying larger TT's...(25' and up).
We are quite satisfied with our trailer, but I'm wondering if 20 footers are slowly becoming a thing of the past?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2015, 12:07 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The old Tear Drop design will be around for decades more.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:28 AM   #3

No, RV ownership is an evolutionary journey. There will always be a market from micro to maxi. Being a fulltiming Class A-er for 10 years, I often admire those with class B's, small TTs and even TCs. I respect them for doing it "their way" and surely more economically.

For what it is worth, my "vacation home" is a 2-person tent, so I can downsize!
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:46 AM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Nope, as was said above. People start out small, move up, then go back to smaller or quit. I started back in 1957 with my parents in a rented 17' TT, then they bought a very special order new 18' then a new 33' Airstream Excella 500, then a new Foretravel Type A.
I started with a used 16' TT in 1968, then a used 23' TT, then a new 26', then a new 17' Type B, a new 26' Type C, a new 35' Type A gas, then a new 38' diesel pusher, than a new 41' diesel pusher and now a used 45' diesel pusher. If we ever get another rig it'll probably a smaller type B again.
Gotta keep the used market filled so others can get started!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:00 AM   #5

Well, you are certainly doing your part!
Old 08-07-2015, 01:56 PM   #6

We shopped trailers for over a year and I swear we walked through 100 different rigs, at least.
We ended up buying the smallest one we looked at that still had the quality and capacity we needed and an outside kitchen, which I insisted on. We even picked the one with no slide. After 2 years and 110 nights of camping, it was a good choice.
It is a 23' box and 27' overal. Would have gone smaller if not for the kids' bunks.
Love it.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:51 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
We just downsized last week. We owned a 34' Class A motorhome for 11 years and wasn't using it in retirement like we had thought. It was costing us nearly $100 a month just to own it. We sold it, took half the money, bought a 23' travel trailer, 11' shorter, and ten years newer. Will save on storage space in our out building and much cheaper annual costs.
calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:56 PM   #8

We searched for a year and ended up with a holiday rambler 187qb. For a small 20ft trailer it is very well built and so far in the 2 1/2 years and almost 200 nights it's been a lot of fun.

But I am starting to see more small trailers around.

Big issue is for smaller ultra light trailer you are sometimes paying the same or more than some bigger trailers.

Have fun in your new trailer.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:21 AM   #9

We stayed away from the ultra light models, as I'm hoping the nash will be a bit more sturdy to go boondock in those off the beaten path places ... all the research we did seems to indicate that they are a little tougher built, and can extend our season a bit with the added insulation. Not that we are going heavy off roading, but the expectation is that the trailer will last us longer overall if we don't stay on pavement all the time.
I can pull this with my 1500 Silverado, but next truck I think I'll upgrade to a 2500 just for the extra comfort and safety margin.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:01 AM   #10

Take a look at the trailers made by Scamp and Casita.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:56 AM   #11

We spent a lot of time traveling and staying at rv camps this month and can say everyone's life is an evolutionary journey. Needs, wants and desires seem to change over time. On one side an older couple has a 19 or 20 foot TT. They travel the country and stay in state and national parks and needed\wanted something small. They also travel with a big old dog too. The other side of me is a mid 50s couple in a giant DP bus. Gorgeous beast and massive in size. Both couples seem happy but very different views on how to approach this phase of their lives and both have has many different RVS prior. I'm in the middle with a 30ft TT. DW and I keep thinking what's next. The only factor that we would sway us to move is kid going to school and traveling with 2 dogs and a cat is a pain with a TT. Anyway just tossing my couple pennies into the conversation. Time for another coffee and hook up for another move north today. Buy what suits your current journey and enjoy life.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:21 AM   #12

That's a valid point. How do yo use it and WHERE do yo use it.
One reason we love the smaller TT is that it's so easy to tow and I can get into a lot of the smaller back-ins that most RVers avoid. When we go to state parks et al, I always look for <25' back-ins. These often prove to be nicer/cleaner/closer to the water and more private. Not all the time, but you get the idea.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:37 AM   #13

Well some ultra lights are not well built.

But the foam insulation through out is better than the old way of insulation in the walls.

And we go camping at -10*C with no issues. And keeping the inside at a comfortable 23*C.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:17 AM   #14

We camped in popups for 25 years, then moved to a hybrid. Our first (and last) travel trailer is a Jayco 2014 22FB and we love it. It is spacious to us and we didn't want to deal with a lot of extra weight and thus need a bigger truck to tow it with. Also, the smaller trailer fit under our shelter so we can store it at home. We are usually the smallest TT in the campground but we enjoy our little home away from home.