Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2009, 10:28 AM   #1

So far, no good !!

I took delivery of a new travel trailer in Nov. of '08 & would just like to enumerate a # of problems I've experienced so far:
1. All 5 tires, including spare had to be replaced due to cracking of the sidewalls.
2. Main entrance door had to be re-caulked due to water leakage to interior.
3. Area aroung TV antenna on roof had to be re-caulked due to water leakage to interior.
4. Window over bunkhouse door & bunkhouse door itself had to be re-caulked due to leakage to interior.
4.Skylight over shower had to be replaced due to defective installation causing leakage to interior.
5. Outdoor shower had to be replaced due to water leakage.
6. Gasket around slide had to be replaced due to water leakage with slide in the "in" position while towing in the rain causing water leakage to the interior.
7. Sliding bedroom door bounced off track while secured during travel.
8. Side panel of dinette seat fell off due to staples pulling out of frame.
9. Both dinette seat cushion had to be replaced due to defects in sewing in the manufacturing process.
10. Small rips in the slideout roof that had to be repaired.

That's about it for now. Despite getting off to a somewhat rocky start with my dealer due to the # of issues that can be traced to poor quality control at the factory I am thankful that the dealer has made all of the above listed repairs to my satisfaction.
However, I have little to no confidence in in my trailer & do not look forward to the time when my warrantee expires. Just wanted to get this off of my chest. Thanks for listening. Jodann
jodann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2009, 02:38 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've not had the priviledge or buying a new RV but I've read somewhere that when you buy a new RV you are really only buying a unit that is 80% finished. It is then up to the dealer and you to finish all the things the factory didn't get right.

I know that doesn't help, but your experience sure lends support to that story.

At least the dealer is doing the right thing and fixing all the issues. Best of luck to you Jodann!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry you are having the problems. Be nice to let us know what brand of trailer has all of these problems.

With all of the new trailer horror stories sure makes me appreciate my 30 year old trailer. With a 30 year old trailer that does not leak, it make you wonder what they are not doing now that they did 30 years ago.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
South East Texas Area Leaders

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry to hear about all your problems, sounds like you've had your fair share. Would like to know what make it is. We purchased a new unit in 2008 and the only problem we've had so far is a scew loose on a door latch, and the cooling unit on the ref. overheating, but that wasn't a manufactures boo boo. Be sure to keep records of your problems. Hopefully the dealer has satisfied you with the repairs
MikenAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:55 PM   #5

Problems are not uncommon on any new item. Especially RV's. Hopefully you got American made tires in the deal? Those Chinese things are garbage and I would not tow a trailer 50 miles with them.
The other problems, the leaks sounds like the factory did a sloppy job of caulking the trailer. Definitely did not do a leak test before shipment.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:34 AM   #6

I had not wanted to state the make of trailer but then again "Why not?"
It is a Sunnybrook & "Yes" it had Chinese tires which were replaced by, you guessed it, Chinese tires.

Many of the components of the trailer are made in China & so far I've had no problems except for the tires. As I see it, my problems are with the shoddy workmanship in the assembly of the unit. In this day & age where it is almost impossible to purchase anything made in the USA my experience does not speak well for buying American. It's really quite a shame.
Jodann
jodann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:31 AM   #7

As I see it you have a couple of recourses open to you. If you trust the dealer, see if he will do a pressure leak test on your trailer and make sure he seals every leak. If you do not trust his abilities, try and get the factory to take the trailer back and fix all of the problems there. I know, my manufacturer has done that for their customers when there has been problems larger than most dealers can handle. They even pay transportation both ways.
Lacking that, try and find a dealership that can preform a leak test for you. Costs a bit, but in the end is well worth it.
Most manufacturers use exactly the same appliances and fixtures in their units. The only difference is how they are put together.
Bottom line, get the manufcturer involved in this fiasco and make them pony up and fix this rig right for you.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodann View Post
I had not wanted to state the make of trailer but then again "Why not?"
It is a Sunnybrook & "Yes" it had Chinese tires which were replaced by, you guessed it, Chinese tires.

Many of the components of the trailer are made in China & so far I've had no problems except for the tires. As I see it, my problems are with the shoddy workmanship in the assembly of the unit. In this day & age where it is almost impossible to purchase anything made in the USA my experience does not speak well for buying American. It's really quite a shame.
Jodann
It is not about dealer trying to sell inferior product. It is about us accepting it.

Jodann's example is a good one. I'd refuse to take the trailer back with another set of potential problems. Actually, his problem started when he ok'd delivery of his trailer with oriental tires. I would buy trailer only if it had good tires on it.

If all of us had this approach, manufacturers would adjust to consumers' demands very quickly.

REFUSE POOR TIRES ON YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!!
greg0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:09 PM   #9

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Many RV manufacturers build their product today like American car companies did in the 70s, and we know how well that worked out. Eventually, demand for quality will overcome demand for low price, and the few manufacturers that anticipate that tipping point will do well.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:03 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
txiceman - 30yrs ago we really were just beginning to talk about weights and esp light weight construction techniques - the first lites I remember were in the early 80's with Fleetwood and Komfort making units that were smaller, narrower, and lighter - by using more plastic and thinner walls etc. I also think that quality meant much more back then. As far as China Tires go - you will be hard pressed to find any tire that is made in america - most are either korean or chinese - even for your cars. As for the rest of the standard items found in an RV - most all of the stoves, refers, furnaces, HWH, and AC units all come from one or two brand names - but all probably made by the same company in asia. The only way to keep prices low is to cut corners in the construction area - less caulk means more profit - I know I just spent $70.00 in caulk for my roof this summer - Dicor is not cheap.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:55 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Randy, the solution is for people to STOP buying the cheap junk the manufacturers are making and demand they build a quality product...even in the smaller and less fancy models.

The problem is that the manufacturers see an endless supply of new customers that do not know what to look for. So they build big fancy boxes with lots of shiny do-dads to catch their attention....never mind they skimped on the roof caulk and used thinner materials.

As RV owners mature and get wiser, they learn that you need to look at the bones of the RV, not the shiny do-dads.

As for Chinese tires, that is easy. If you want to sell the RV, get some better tires on it.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:03 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The problem is also one of the mfgs pushing the quality control down to the dealers. I don't think the dealer can refuse a unit just because it needs some work. After all the mfg is going to pay for it - right - wrong - often times the dealer gets paid a warranty rates which are usually lower than thier standard repair rates. I agree there needs to be some push back - from both the buying public and the dealers. The mfgs need to take back over the quality control and produce products that are built with quality from the factory. Consumers also need to be aware that lots of bling does not make an RV great - in fact it is just one more thing to break down. A good dealer should make an effort to inspect and prep the units before delivery - the customer should also perform a pre delivery inspection - complete with a checklist and places for the dealer and the customer to sign off on. While this does not mean that the unit is trouble and error free it provides a baseline for what was working when the unit left the lot. I know of one mfg that has its dealers go through an extensive PDI with its customers with such a form - a copy of which is sent back to the mfg for use in its continous improvement program.