Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2014, 05:24 PM   #1

Sofa Not Covered By Warranty?

We have a 6 month old Arctic Fox trailer. Included in the package was an upgraded sofa option with incliner foot rests. The wood supporting the incliner mechanism is made from soft pine, and it didn't take many uses before that wood gave way and split where it attaches to the frame.

I have checked with Northwood, and they are telling me that the sofa is not covered under their warranty, but instead is covered by the sofa manufacturer with a limit of $100. I don't know if this broken board can even be replaced since it would involve pretty much dismantling the sofa and reupolstering. But I really doubt it could be done for $100 or less!

The Northwood warranty seems pretty straightforward - it covers basically everything except major appliances, wheels, axles, and tires which have seperate warranties. I didn't receive any kind of seperate warranty for the sofa, and I don't see how it would fall into the definition of one of the items above.

Does anyone have any expereince or suggestions?
Whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2014, 06:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip View Post
We have a 6 month old Arctic Fox trailer. Included in the package was an upgraded sofa option with incliner foot rests. The wood supporting the incliner mechanism is made from soft pine, and it didn't take many uses before that wood gave way and split where it attaches to the frame.

I have checked with Northwood, and they are telling me that the sofa is not covered under their warranty, but instead is covered by the sofa manufacturer with a limit of $100. I don't know if this broken board can even be replaced since it would involve pretty much dismantling the sofa and reupolstering. But I really doubt it could be done for $100 or less!

The Northwood warranty seems pretty straightforward - it covers basically everything except major appliances, wheels, axles, and tires which have seperate warranties. I didn't receive any kind of seperate warranty for the sofa, and I don't see how it would fall into the definition of one of the items above.

Does anyone have any expereince or suggestions?
If the RV warranty does not specifically exclude covering the sofa, I would appeal to the RV factory customer service rep. at the district level, or phone the factory directly and follow-up with an email to the president of the company.
Then contact Trailer Life/ Motorhome magazine's complaint dept. They usually have success with getting the mfgr. to stand and deliver on their warranty.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:20 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sofa will have its own manufacturer's warranty but... In many states there is a consumer protection act.. Basically it says the SELLER (Dealer in this case) is responsible for most warranty, it also specifies a minimum warranty. And a few other things.

IF everything else fails, find an attorney who specailizes in Uniform Commercial Code/Warranty work and talk to him.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:08 AM   #4

I think it should be covered 100%. Does it have a brand name?
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:14 AM   #5

I can't find a tag on the sofa identifying the manufacturer, but according to Arctic Fox service it is made by Home Style.

Which states consumer protection rules would apply? I live in Wisconsin, bought the unit in Minnesota, and it was manufactured in Oregon.

As mentioned, the Northwood warranty seems to be very simple and straightforward. It covers “all appliances and equipment installed by the manufacturer….” . It does specifically state that it does not cover “major appliances, axles, tires, wheels, which are covered by the separate warranties of the respective manufacturers……”. I don’t see how a sofa could be considered to be one of those items, and in any cases no separate warranty covering it was provided to me.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:23 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes, you can fight with the factory if they say no. Then you can deal with the makers of the sofa, get it to them and have them fix it. Or, you can contact a good local upholstery shop and have them fix it right, the way you want. Figure out the time and $$$, then decide what way you want to go. Perhaps the factory or sofa mfg will pick up all or at least part of the bill. I would avoid a lawyer as it will shut all the doors of conversation. It's your call.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:36 PM   #7

Lawyer for a sofa ?????? Must have one in the family.
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:58 PM   #8

No, I'm not hiring a lawyer. No way to come out ahead on that. I'm disappointed in the quality of the sofa that was installed, and I'd like them to honor their obligation under the warranty. I am still curious to know which states laws would apply and whose rules they should be obligated to follow. If there are consumer protection laws that apply sometimes a simple letter to the regulatory authority in the appropriate state can open up more reasonable discussions.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #9

This might be a good place to start Home-Style Products for RV Furniture Center

Good luck.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:57 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip View Post
Which states consumer protection rules would apply? I live in Wisconsin, bought the unit in Minnesota, and it was manufactured in Oregon.
My suspision is Minnesota, however you will need professional advice to be sure, and I am not a professional.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:08 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The warranty info from the Home Style does not mention $100 limit but is pretty ambiguous and leaves a lot open to interpretation...

Home-Style Warranty
Lifetime Limited Warranty
~guarantees the frame against breakage under ordinary use
~applies only to the frame and does not cover failure caused by accidents, negligence or unreasonable use

In Case of Defects
~the original purchaser is responsible for S&H charges to and from the Home-Style factory, and any reasonable service fee from the retailer
TinCanTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:26 PM   #12

JMO but I'd junk the sofa and head to the nearest furniture store and get a good residential quality sofa. Chances are that the Homestye sofa will break again.
As a current NW 5'er owner I've come to the conclusion that if I ever decide to buy another I will order it without any furniture. Most RV stuff is mediocre at best. We went to an RV show this last weekend and found none of the recliners/rockers to be anywhere near comfortable enough to want to own them. Some of the sofas were just okay. Problem is one size does not fit all when it comes to furniture.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:43 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
looking at the paperwork from my Outdoors RV , Wind River, I see that the fold out sofa is a Home Style unit. And guess what!!!!!! Home Style is owned by,,,,,,,,,,, can you guess,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LIPPERT!!!!! Oh what a surprise. One of the quality products made by the Lippert family of RV products. gag me with a spoon!!!
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanTee View Post
The warranty info from the Home Style does not mention $100 limit but is pretty ambiguous and leaves a lot open to interpretation...

Home-Style Warranty
Lifetime Limited Warranty
~guarantees the frame against breakage under ordinary use
~applies only to the frame and does not cover failure caused by accidents, negligence or unreasonable use

In Case of Defects
~the original purchaser is responsible for S&H charges to and from the Home-Style factory, and any reasonable service fee from the retailer
Thanks for the info. I can just imagine what the shipping costs to and from the factory would be! No way is that an option. I'd junk it before doing that.
Mostly I am just very disappointed in the quality of many of the components of the Arctic Fox trailers. This sofa is no better than what you would expect to find in the cheapest units.

I really would prefer to just get rid of the thing. But it still irks me that it should be covered under the Northwood warranty from anything I can find in my paperwork, and they so far are not willing to back it up.