Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #1

Solid way to mount TV in TT cabinet

We have a new TT with an "entertainment center" cabinet with a space for a flat screen tv. However, most mounting brackets for the TV need a very solid back wall for mounting. This cabinet's back wall would definitely not hold a TV mount.

How have others solved this problem?

I know I could mount a solid piece of wood or plywood to the back of the cabinet, but that would be pretty ugly. Are there specialized brackets made for this?

Thx
Hersh

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Most new TTs have reinforcing behind where the flat screen mounts. Give a call to the manufacturer or contact your dealer for instillation instructions.

Pricejh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #3

homeless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #4

If your TT has a factory location for a TV, there is probably a backing plate in the form of a piece of sheet steel behind the finished surface. Just take a decent magnet and see if you can locate it. Should be easy to find. If you find it, drill a tiny pilot hole for the screws first.

Are you using an articulating mount? If so, that can be a lot of cantilevered weight and you want to be even more careful that the mount is well secured to the mounting surface. Otherwise, you can use any normal mount. I'd get the type that has a bit of a square mounting plate to spread out the load. Some of them are designed to screw into a vertical wall stud only. You should get the appropriate screws with the mount you buy.

If you haven't got the mount yet and want an articulating one, Mor/Ryde makes a really nice one with a release handle on the bottom.

BTW, if you plan to remove the TV occasionally, like say in the winter or when in storage somewhere, some mounts can be tricky to undo and you have to feel in behind them blind and can be frustrating to figure out. I'd try and research online first.

Good luck!
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Good selection of TV mounts designed for RV use here.
There are videos which show each mount, how it works and shows "typical" applications, as well as approximate dimensions.

In your specific case since you are looking for a "base" mount, a good place to start is either the TV40-001 or TV1-003
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVforMyRV View Post
Good selection of TV mounts designed for RV use here.
There are videos which show each mount, how it works and shows "typical" applications, as well as approximate dimensions.

In your specific case since you are looking for a "base" mount, a good place to start is either the TV40-001 or TV1-003
Thanks for the reply. Looks like the TV1-003 may be my best solution. I can reinforce the shelf of the cabinet from underneath much easier than reinforcing the back wall. That would also help hide the modification.

Question: What are the dimensions of the "foot" of the TV1-003 stand? Also, how high is the "stalk"? I need to know if my shelf is wide & high enough for this.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #7

We mounted a flat screen in the bedroom. We found a very nice bracket stating it was made for RV 's- jiggling around. I used a 1x4 for added support and pre drilled the holes. Works great!
Old 12-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #8

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersh View Post
Thanks for the reply. Looks like the TV1-003 may be my best solution. I can reinforce the shelf of the cabinet from underneath much easier than reinforcing the back wall. That would also help hide the modification.

Question: What are the dimensions of the "foot" of the TV1-003 stand? Also, how high is the "stalk"? I need to know if my shelf is wide & high enough for this.
The base is somewhat shaped like a trapezoid. -Wide in the front and narrow in the back. It is approx. 6.5" wide in the front, 6" deep, and 2.5" wide in the back. Fully collapsed height is about 14" and extends to about 17.5" high.

If your TV has a 100 x 100 mounting pattern, you also have 3 different height choices on the mounting plate....

In summary, it would be incredibly unlikely that you could not make it fit.

Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote