Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2010, 08:16 PM   #15

Does it look like this?

Or this?

Paul
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2010, 08:26 PM   #16

Mine looks like this:
Old 08-09-2010, 09:34 PM   #17
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Uh.. guys/gals... the original poster asked how to remove the vents on the roof....

I'd like to know the same as well - I occasionally get a bad odor in the closet in the bathroom where the vent pipe is. My vent is like his, 3 posts or so that mount and are covered by caulking.. not just a cap that pops off from what I can tell.
Check with RV repair man about what to use when replacing cap. Then remove and check vent and decide on fix. I found mud dobber nest in ours (that had the pipe plugged). Knocked it out and problem fixed. Hope your's is that easy.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #18

I have noticed that when the black tank is getting full that when I flush there is sometimes an odor. Upon draining the tank it goes away.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:17 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Each sink, washer/dryer and shower if not roof vented should have an Auto-Vent. They are very common to go bad, do not close properly and allow grey tank gasses to enter the RV. Look under your sink for it.

They are extremely easy to remove and re-install. Get a quality vent. I replaced one and the odor was still occurring.. Thought it was something else, but the replacement vent was defective.

Take the vent, hold a flashlight up to it and see if any light comes through. Some have a rubber flap only and some have a spring loaded rubber flap.

1-1/2"IPS Auto Trap VentThis auto trap vent features:
  • Generally used in mobile homes, RV's, and trailers (not code in many areas for homes)
  • Used in places where venting through the roof is not possible
  • Operates mechanically with a rubber diaphragm
  • Some call this mechanical vent a "check vent."
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:53 AM   #20

In our 2005 Itasca 36 DP the black water smell has gotten worse over time. The first thing I found after removing the vent cap was that the vent stack was an inch below the roof line. I think the top of the black water tank sagged over time to cause this. At this location next to the vent pipe were many wires that were routed down into the coach. This gave a path for the sewer smell to enter the AC duct work in the ceiling, not good! I pulled the vent pipe up a couple of inches with vice grips and drilled two quarter inch holes in the pipe and slide a two inch long bolt through it. This bolt then rested on the roof and held the pipe up. I then sealed around the pipe and the roof before reinstalling the vent cap. I checked the black water tank and it was still resting on the metal supports below and the pipe was still glued securely to the top of the tank.

I then removed the wood panel directly behind the toilet. I found that the manufacture had cut a huge hole there for wire and pipe access. The hole is directly above the black water tank. Poly tanks will contain liquids, but not odors. The odors had a direct path into the coach. I cut out a cardboard template to cover the hole and sealed the whole area with metallic tape. Not gooey duct tape. I just went 1500 miles with absolutely no black water tank odors.
Wm.Lovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:28 AM   #21

This may not be your problem, but I've found that water can bounce out of the sink trap while driving and cause odors inside the trailer. I try to ensure the sinks are sealed while traveling and then run water to refill the traps when stopped to prevent odors.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:28 AM   #22

My shower drain empties while traveling. We fill a ziplock bag with water and cover the drain.Solved our problem.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:44 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First the caps.. Often there is a screw in the very top part of the cap, Remove this screw and the "Cap" comes off the pipe.

Regarding the Smell.. I have seen several cases where someone describedit as "Smelling like rotten Eggs" Which is sulfur dioxide, which is a battery product believe it or not.. Though it can also be produced in a sewer system or hot, water heater (I know who heats hot water, but what I mean is a water heater when it is hot)
Old 11-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
NLOVINIT: You MAY have a portion of of the vent in the black tank blocked. It can occur while driving to a dump site with a full black water tank.
The easiest solution is to run a water hose down the vent pipe and flush the pipe.
Just saying......
The plumbing code for stick homes/buildings require ten feet between a waste/vent pipe and any possible opening (think windows or doors). What's the distance on an average motor home? The margin for error is slim.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:16 PM   #25
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Thanks, two-niner. That's something to check.

Update: The smell has stopped. We had it for 1 or 2 trips after we had to run with the tanks full after leaving the KY rally. But, once we went through a couple of dumps & flushes after following camping trips, the smell went away. We were on a 10-day trip to PA last month & not once did the odor reoccur. Of course, we've never travelled with full tanks again, either. We're done camping until spring, so I'll have to wait until then to further investigate.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:22 AM   #26

Post a picture of the vent - there are different types. It sounds like the first poster will need to use a knife and cut the sealant from around the legs, remove a couple of screws and then remove it. Some have prongs that grab onto the inside wall of the vent and just pull out. The check valve - I don't know.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #27

i also notices if the traps on the sinks dry out sometime a odor will appear
Old 01-13-2011, 07:43 AM   #28

I also wondered why there was a pipe stub with a threaded top (female) under the kitchen counter pointed straight up. Do I have to get a vent or could I just put a cap in the hole?

Tags
black tank, vents