Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2014, 06:17 AM   #15

Welcome to the forum....there is a lot of good advice from seasoned RVers.
Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2014, 11:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biken201 View Post
I'm betting it's an RV salesman that is telling you your jeep will tow it with no problem. Remember that it's their job to get the trailer off of their lot, and NOT to ensure your tow vehicle is capable of safely pulling it.

Actually, the 5th salesman that we met with which we liked the best, steered us away from unsafe choices that we had made. And he explained why.

The dry weight of X17Z is 2800lbs. The GVWR is 3500. Thats loaded with gear and water. 1.) I wouldn't carry water because I'm already getting horrendous mpg's anyway by pulling with a Jeep, we would just fill up at the campground and empty before we leave. and 2.) I dont foresee us loading anywhere near 500 or 1000lbs of gear. A backpack with a few changes of clothes, some dog food, and an ice chest may be the max.

We aren't out to live in our trailer, just local weekend trips. I've had plenty of people tell me that I can't pull diddly with my Jeep, and I've had plenty of people tell me that I can. I'm observing all the warnings that have been issued, buying the lightest trailer I can, and taking all safety precautions.

With that being said, I'm not paying $13000 to $16000 for a tent. We want a trailer with four hard sides, which the expandables offer.
JaycoPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:05 AM   #17

We are actually also considering the 16XRB now as well. Its dry weight is 2500lbs.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper182 View Post
I would hesitate to tow these models since they are at your Jeep's tow limit unloaded.
No they aren't. Unloaded they weigh 2800lbs. Thats 700lbs less than the limit. And as I said, I dont foresee us ever loading even 500lbs of gear for weekend trips, within a 50 mile radius of our home.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:38 AM   #19

I always try to keep a 20% margin in there !

Jim
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:40 AM   #20

But sounds like you are doing your home work !
Jim
Old 06-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #21

Nor'easters Club
Sounds like you are doing your homework, but you really need to think of what dry weight means. That 2800 pounds is without any options. that means empty propane tanks and battery, (those also add a lot to your tongue weight) there are surely more options that are not included in that weight.

Also, you need to look at the GVWR and GCWR of your jeep. It might say 3500 lbs, but thats with half a tank of fuel and one 150 lb driver. You are adding 2 dogs and your partner, all that weight comes off the GVWR.

Just my opinion, but I would want to have a 20% margin for safety. Pushing the limits makes for white knuckle drives, high maintenance bills on your tow vehicle, and possible safety problems when something minor goes slightly wrong. And that means the safety of your vehicle and others.

Keep doing your research, you will get it all figured out.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:29 PM   #22

I wouldn't do it, too heavy. For safety, I'd look at something around 2500 lbs. They're out there, you just have to look. Even at that, let me tell you, I have a Coachmen Clipper 16b (2400) lbs, that I towed with my 2012 Escape(It had max tow of 3500lbs). I can tell you I dreaded taking it out, the trip to the campground and back was miserable. Buffeting was terrible and the trailer would get squirrelly in a heart beat. Ended up buying a larger tow vehicle.
mavagrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavagrand View Post
I wouldn't do it, too heavy. For safety, I'd look at something around 2500 lbs. They're out there, you just have to look. Even at that, let me tell you, I have a Coachmen Clipper 16b (2400) lbs, that I towed with my 2012 Escape(It had max tow of 3500lbs). I can tell you I dreaded taking it out, the trip to the campground and back was miserable. Buffeting was terrible and the trailer would get squirrelly in a heart beat. Ended up buying a larger tow vehicle.

The 2012 Escape had (at the biggest) a 240hp 3.0L engine.

The Jeep has a 285hp, 3.6L V6 Pentastar engine.

How's there ANY comparison between the two?

I'm getting quite tired of people saying it can't be done, when it obviously can. There are no mountains in Houston. The steepest grade I'd be going over is the Houston Ship Channel bridge. It doesn't snow in Houston. And I'm not trying to pretend its a Diesel engine, I know its limitations and I'm trying to stay well within those limitations.

Why would Jeep rate their vehicle at 3,500lbs (undoubtedly a ridiculously conservative rating) if its unsafe to tow 2,800? With sway bars, trailer brakes, and safe driving habits, it should be fine.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneracin View Post
Sounds like you are doing your homework, but you really need to think of what dry weight means. That 2800 pounds is without any options. that means empty propane tanks and battery, (those also add a lot to your tongue weight) there are surely more options that are not included in that weight.

The X17Z specs out at 3,046 with the propane tanks, battery, etc etc...

Still under the maximum rating.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:53 PM   #25

Your Quote { I'm getting quite tired of people saying it can't be done, when it obviously can.}

Well, just go ahead and do it and stop asking others for there advise !!!

Jim
Old 06-10-2014, 07:42 PM   #26

Send a message via Yahoo to Biken201
I'm sorry that you're not liking what you're hearing, but you came here for objective advice vs. what the salesmen are telling you.

The 3500 lb tow rating for your jeep is the MAX for a Wrangler. If you did not purchase your Jeep with it specifically set up for the max towing ability, it's likely you aren't even rated for the full 3500. The 2014 Trailer Life towing guide rates ALL Wrangler models (including the 3.6L model) with a 2000 lb max tow limit. Unfortunately, those vehicles are meant for off-roading and not RV travel.

Remember that you not only risk your own safety, but everybody else's on the road if towing more than your vehicle can safely handle. From a simple physics standpoint, your Jeep would likely pull a trailer much larger than even the ones your looking at. Heck, my truck would likely pull my sticks and bricks house down the road if I tried; but that doesn't mean it wouldn't damage the vehicle or be safe.

Keep researching. You'll find the ability to safely tow involves more than just engine power. The frame of the tow vehicle, wheelbase, ground clearance, brakes, etc. all play a role in safe towing.

Nobody is trying to upset you, but the reality is that you should probably be looking at either a smaller trailer or a larger tow vehicle. Remember, nobody on here is trying to sell you anything; we are sharing advice about a topic you are just starting to learn about.

I hope you figure it all out and make an informed and safe choice.

With that said... We look forward to seeing you out here soon!

2014 Arctic Fox 31D
2011 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 Cummins
Old 06-10-2014, 07:53 PM   #27

I've got the 3.73 gears.

I know that people aren't trying to upset me, it's just frustrating to hear Jeep say it's rated for 3500lbs, and then have the general public say it can't be done.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:56 PM   #28

It's also frustrating to hear that these trailers are manufactured to be pulled behind small SUV's and mini vans, yet the Jeep can't handle it.