Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2014, 09:19 PM   #29

I'm not going to tell you that you can't do it. I think you'll be at or just over the max (realistically) in terms of what your Jeep is rated to handle, which is probably fine for short trips and such as you mentioned you'd be doing. I tow heavy, but stay close to home and maybe camp once a month and just take it easy. Downside would be maybe additional wear and tear on my vehicle, but upside is that I don't have to drive a stiffly sprung 3500 something or other when I am not towing.

I will ask you to be a little more open to a used trailer, though. Your paranoia is probably excessive. Sure, there are some lemons, but if you shop wisely and have a potential purchase inspected, you are going to come out way ahead.

I checked out what you are looking at. I do like those models. I think I saw them at $20K or so new right? I found a 2011 version they were asking $10K for, and that was at a dealer where you could probably knock off another couple thou at least. Private party would likely be asking less. If you are that paranoid, get an extended warranty (I would just save the money and fix something if it breaks). Throw away the mattresses if you don't like the idea of someone else having slept in the thing. You will still be lots of money ahead. If for some reason you miscalculate on floorplan or towing comfort, you won't lose thousands in a few years (or a few months) when you want to get out if it and into something else.

I do appreciate people buying new, because someone has to supply the used trailer market with inventory (ha ha), but the reality is that the depreciation hit will be substantial. One more thing is that even though new trailers have a warranty, stuff goes wrong with new trailers too, and a lot of newer used models will have been sorted out with warranty repairs done by the previous owner, so there is that element. Don't think that just buying new is going to absolve you of having problems.

Bottom line is that I think you are generally on the right track, just offering some angles to consider. Enjoy your camping once you get rigged up.

Andre

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2014, 10:04 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoPhoto View Post
The 2012 Escape had (at the biggest) a 240hp 3.0L engine.

The Jeep has a 285hp, 3.6L V6 Pentastar engine.

How's there ANY comparison between the two?

I'm getting quite tired of people saying it can't be done, when it obviously can. There are no mountains in Houston. The steepest grade I'd be going over is the Houston Ship Channel bridge. It doesn't snow in Houston. And I'm not trying to pretend its a Diesel engine, I know its limitations and I'm trying to stay well within those limitations.

Why would Jeep rate their vehicle at 3,500lbs (undoubtedly a ridiculously conservative rating) if its unsafe to tow 2,800? With sway bars, trailer brakes, and safe driving habits, it should be fine.
My suv had a.max tow capacity of 3500lbs, dealer sold.me.a.3500lb gvwr trailer. It was such a white knuckle drive I insisted my family drive a separate vehicle. I live in Houston and I could.never withstand.a drive.more than 1.5hrs it was too scary. It wasn't the hills, but rather the wind and the semi trucks blowing me all over the road. Seemed like the trailer and the suv were constantly arguing about who was in control. Just my 2 cents.

bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:31 PM   #31

Well I am here to add some more info to maybe help you out. I spent a bit of my time to read your owners manual and found a thing on towing here is a section on frontal area for your jeep.

Engine/ Axle Transmission
3.6L/ 3.21 Automatic
3.6L/ 3.73 Automatic
3.6L/Manual 4.10
Model
Four–Door Sahara Model (4WD)
Four–Door Sahara Model (4WD)
Four–Door Rubicon Model (4WD)
GCWR (Gross Com- bined Wt. Rating)
6,728 lbs (3 052 kg)
8,228 lbs (3 732 kg)
8,326 lbs (3 776 kg)
Frontal Area
32 sq ft (2.97 sq m)
32 sq ft (2.97 sq m)
32 sq ft (2.97 sq m)
Max. GTW (Gross Trailer Wt.)
2,000 lbs (907 kg)
3,500 lbs (1 587 kg)
3,500 lbs (1 587 kg)
Max. Trailer Tongue Wt. (See Note)
200 lbs (91 kg)
350 lbs (159 kg)
350 lbs (159 kg)

So as long as your trailer fits the 32sq ft then you are good up to 3,500 pounds.

Now for the hitch according to the website your hitch is a class 2 hitch. And once searching the web I found this.
Hitch Lookup for 2014 Jeep Wrangler All

Now this tells me the hitch will take 3500 pounds weight carrying. And 350 pounds tongue weight. The bad part is you can't use a weight distribution hitch.

So after looking at the trailer you are looking at you will be over the 350 hitch weight although you will maybe be in spec on the 3500 pounds. But with out using a weight distribution hitch I think you will run into issues. The other thing is your jeep is set up only with a 4 pin harness so you would need to add a 7 pin harness and run some wires front to rear for brake controller and 12 volts.

I did some other reading and I think your jeep will do it but how safe this is going to be I am not sure. But you want to hear that you can do it.

If I were in your shoes maybe check out living lite trailers. Or the hard wall pop up tent trailers.

I think these may be a safer bet. But total your call.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:02 PM   #32

Retired Fire Service RVer's
I was hoping some Jeep guys would chime in here with some actual experience. I think you're doing a good job with your due diligence. As a retired firefighter/paramedic with many years also being an off-roader, I'm a bit familiar with Jeeps. But near zero (okay ZERO...lol) experience with a Jeep as a tow vehicle, I'd have a bit of concern. Design parameters for Jeeps in general means high center of gravity, short wheelbase, narrow track. Not a recipe for a strong and stable tow vehicle. Your Wrangler has a longer wheelbase which is a step in the right direction!

So can it pull 3500 or less pounds? No doubt that it can...but the other point is can it control it safely at highway speeds with other traffic, especially large trucks, and side winds? Maybe. Perhaps that's what some others are leaning towards with idea of a pop-up or tent trailer...more aerodynamic mostly because they are lower profile "bricks".

OTOH, your goal is to give this hobby a try by staying relatively close to home and short duration trips. So, if you go for it, just be extra cautious as you learn the dynamics of pulling a load with your Wrangler. Hope it works out well for you two and the pooches.

Cheers!
Old 06-10-2014, 11:09 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
JaycoPhoto;
Sorry that you are upset by some of the answers. Most of the fellows here are seasoned reasonable guys who do not have an axe to grind. Many of them have made the mistakes they are trying to steer you away from.

I assume you asked the question expecting an honest answer.

Briefly looking at the information I believe you are skirting the high edge of practicality for your TV. Towing is always a matter of taking risks. I have been led to believe if you are betting it is best to bet when the odds are in your favor. Dont forget the risks you are taking first involve two very important people, your partner and yourself. Then the rest of us who you want to share the roads with.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:36 AM   #34

Nor'easters Club
Yes some trailers are set up to be towed by small SUVs. But look at other small SUVs, I will be willing to bet they weigh more than your wrangler, have a longer wheelbase than your wrangler, are set up more for on road use instead of off road use as your wrangler. All of those things are very key in towing. HP means almost nothing compared to suspension, axle ratings, weight ratings, brakes, frame strength, hitch rating........ Please dont take offence to it, we are just trying to help. Maybe see if you can rent or borrow a trailer similar to what you want and see how it tows before you buy.

A Toyota Tundra CAN tow the space shuttle across a bridge, that doesnt mean its safe for highway travel, or that it can stop it.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:59 AM   #35

My apologies for my short response, others here have replied much more correctly than I. Salesman will push all the numbers (if not just lie ) Auto manufactures state "Maximums" . My example is when i bought my used 2010 4.7 V8 Ram 1500, i was told it had a 8,000 # towing and when i bought it rving was going to be down the road a bit ( but was part of a full size truck ) , so when my daughter and husband pushed us, we started shopping. Doing my own research, yes the truck has a 8,000 # with the 3.92 gears, mine 3.55 gears, so now i have a 6400# towing ( salesman ????? ). The TT we bought was a old 2000 25 ft. with a dry weight of 4600 #,remenber 'DRY WEIGHT " and as one member stated, see how much stuff you take after your first 4 trips. The truck does fine, but i feel it's about at it's max ( But must confess looking at a 2007 28 ft. at 5400#, but pushing it now ), remember I try to keep a 20% margin.
As said before, and reinforced, "Check Out Used " at least (as I ) all the mistakes you make buying your first TT will cost you less. But your pocket book is yours, and as mentioned before, someone has to provide us with nice used one's to buy !!!!!

I was totally new to TT, and this forum has been "THE BEST" with advise on all phases of my learning curve., so i hope we all can help you .

Jim
Old 06-11-2014, 09:35 AM   #36

Someone pointed out a 32 sqft limitation on frontal area. That sounds a lot like a pop-up to me (8' wide by 4' high). The 3500 max is probably more suited to towing an open air work trailer, hauling a heavy load. I used my old Kia Sorento with a 3500 tow limit to drag around a metal trailer and a golf cart, along with some supplies for our high school's marching band. The air could pass right through the trailer, so there were no drag issues, just the weight of the trailer which had no brakes. I could barely tell it was there. A flat front surface on a travel trailer would be a different story and might really fight the smaller engine in that kind of set up. Just food for thought. Do you have any buddies with a small camper that you could test it out with? Or maybe see if there are rentals available you could try for a weekend getaway. You might find it is a pain to tow, but the pain might be tolerable for a few short trips a few times a year. If you love the lifestyle, you might step up in a few years and find a bigger TV when it makes sense. Good luck!
Old 06-11-2014, 09:52 AM   #37

Hey !!! Here's a thought, go rent a simnular TT, and find out before you make a decision !!!!!

Jim
Old 06-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #38

I pointed out the frontal area which would be pop territory but thought I would not say it but now it's out there.

Also big thing it looks like he can't use a weight distrbution hitch. Which with the frontal issue and a 3500 max tow cap I see it is really set up for a hard wall or standard tent tralier.

But I could be wrong.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:38 PM   #39

Here's what happened to me... I bought a 34 foot long Nomad that weighs 7900lbs dry. I had a Ram 1500 that's rated at 8700lbs. Towing the trailer home there wasn't enough power on the Dodge. Long story short is I bought a 3/4 ton Chevy just to be safe and it pulls it much better. It might be able to be done, but it's going to stretch the hell out of your Wrangler. I work in a shop and sold Jeeps and I wouldn't tow anything more than a jetski with it. Just my two cents...
Old 06-11-2014, 04:04 PM   #40

Theres a wealth of knowledge here. Yes, your jeep can pull it. No doubt. Hell so could my focus. But. How bout a semi oncoming blow by? Or panic stop? 40 mph cross wind? Most of us are pretty nice and easy to ask questions. someone tells you its not and you say it is and then something happens then who are you upset with? Or would you even have a chance to be upset if something terrible did happen. Heaven forbid. Renting a camper sounds like the winner idea here. Good luck with whatever choice u make!!! Keep us posted
Old 06-11-2014, 06:06 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast0ne View Post
Now for the hitch according to the website your hitch is a class 2 hitch. And once searching the web I found this.
Hitch Lookup for 2014 Jeep Wrangler All

Now this tells me the hitch will take 3500 pounds weight carrying. And 350 pounds tongue weight. The bad part is you can't use a weight distribution hitch.

I currently do not have a hitch. I will be having a 5000lb hitch installed with a 7 way plug.

I do have the 4dr Sport Unlimited with the 3.73 gears.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #42

As an update...

Because of the weight issue, as well as the price issue, we are thinking about going with the Jayco 16XRB now. It's 7ft wide, and weighs 2,500 dry.

Is that a safer choice, sizewise?

2014 Jay Feather SLX 16XRB | Jayco, Inc.

And for those of you who mentioned the hard side pop ups, we looked at those a'frame things. There's not enough room in those things for ME, much less the four of us.