Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2014, 05:41 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
I would caution you to try to think way ahead and buy as much TT as you can. In the long run, you will save money and not feel you want to upgrade constantly. Believe me, I learned the hard way! And... you will want to get a real tow vehicle so you can tow what you really want. Your jeep will limit your choices extensively. I suggest maybe a pickup(4wd). The thing is the 4wd might only be needed once or twice but you will be so happy you have it when you need it, and it retains a lot of value at trade time. Again, just my opinion after 2 trailers, 5 fifth wheels, and 2 class A's.
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2014, 06:34 PM   #44

Well not sure where you located a 5000 pound class 3 hitch but good for you. And adding the extra wiring is easily done and needed for a tralier and while you are at it install a P3 brake controller as this is the best one money can buy.

I still think it will be to big but your mind is set so pull the trigger and have as much fun as you can. Would like to see a pic all hooked up.

And the only hard wall one that I really liked that did have room was from aliner and it was a 18ft unit. I still think this may be your best and safest bet.

Have fun.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:42 PM   #45

As a comparison:

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport vs 2014 Ford Explorer base SUV

Wheel base - 9'8" vs 9'4.6"
Curb Weight - 4075lb vs 4557lb
GVWR - 5400 vs not listed
Height - 5'10.9" vs 5'10.4"
Width - 6'1.7" vs 6'6.9"
Engine - 285hp vs 290hp
Max tow - 3500lb vs 5000lb
Axel ratio - 3.73 vs 3.39

...via Edmunds.com

I'm assuming the Explorer can tow 1500lbs more because its 6" wider and weighs 500lbs more?

And with numbers like these, I still dont understand why I can't tow the 2500lb 16XRB, or the X17Z which are 2500lb, and 2800lb respectively.
JaycoPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:43 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoPhoto View Post
As an update...

Because of the weight issue, as well as the price issue, we are thinking about going with the Jayco 16XRB now. It's 7ft wide, and weighs 2,500 dry.

Is that a safer choice, sizewise?

2014 Jay Feather SLX 16XRB | Jayco, Inc.

And for those of you who mentioned the hard side pop ups, we looked at those a'frame things. There's not enough room in those things for ME, much less the four of us.

That Jayco 16xrb hybrid is a better choice from a weight perspective, but still going to put a drag on your jeep due to the frontal area. But, I have a buddy who pulls something similar with a v6 trailblazer. It definitely slows him down to about 60mph with the pedal to the floor, and hills slow him down more. But, he has had it for about 8 years and loves it. His has trailer brakes, which helps with the sudden stops. So, if you are dead set against a different tow vehicle, that might work. Just watch loading it up with stuff.

On a side note, I saw a camper this past weekend that was a hard side, pop up, kinda thing. No tents on the ends and not an a frame, but the whole thing cranked up and then slid out. So, it accomplished that frontal area limit while in tow, but still became a bigger, hard side unit for him and his family of four at the park. I don't know the brand, but might be worth searching for something like that. Good luck!
DanFromGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:44 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast0ne View Post
Well not sure where you located a 5000 pound class 3 hitch but good for you. And adding the extra wiring is easily done and needed for a tralier and while you are at it install a P3 brake controller as this is the best one money can buy.
:

Discount Hitch in Pasadena, TX. That's what he told me he'd install, along with the 7 way, and brake controller for appx $400.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:52 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast0ne View Post

And the only hard wall one that I really liked that did have room was from aliner and it was a 18ft unit. I still think this may be your best and safest bet.

Have fun.

The largest Aliner is $19K..... Entirely out of our budget.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #49

Yes aliner is not cheap.

But I would really make sure with that hitch. You need a weight distribution hitch to make this work. And get the Prodigy P3 brake controller from tekonsha. I had a cheap one bought one of thoses best money ever spent.

Also to help you with weight buy two bags of lynx levelers make sure you get thoses not the knock off ones. This will save weigh.

And also you will be shocked at how much weight just stuff in the fridge adds up to. Just grab a scale and start weighing things you will be taking.

Best of luck.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:24 AM   #50

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
As a comparison:

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport vs 2014 Ford Explorer base SUV

Wheel base - 9'8" vs 9'4.6"
Curb Weight - 4075lb vs 4557lb
GVWR - 5400 vs not listed
Height - 5'10.9" vs 5'10.4"
Width - 6'1.7" vs 6'6.9"
Engine - 285hp vs 290hp
Max tow - 3500lb vs 5000lb
Axel ratio - 3.73 vs 3.39

...via Edmunds.com

I'm assuming the Explorer can tow 1500lbs more because its 6" wider and weighs 500lbs more?

And with numbers like these, I still dont understand why I can't tow the 2500lb 16XRB, or the X17Z which are 2500lb, and 2800lb respectively.
There are a lot of factors that go into how well a vehicle will tow. those you mentioned are just a few of them. You seem to be dead set on making it work with the jeep, so there doesn't seem to be any point in trying to explain why it is not a great idea. But when was the last time you saw a wrangler towing more than just a popup? I personally have never seen it, and I would guess there is a reason for that. By all means, do as you wish, and continue with your research and planning. You are putting a lot more effort into this set up than most people do, and that's very commendable. I hope it all works out well for you and you can all have a great time with your new purchase. I'm just saying, its not a route I would go.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:05 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneracin View Post
There are a lot of factors that go into how well a vehicle will tow. those you mentioned are just a few of them. You seem to be dead set on making it work with the jeep, so there doesn't seem to be any point in trying to explain why it is not a great idea.

I'm not dead set, but it is the only vehicle I have. However, when I ask "Why can't a Jeep tow?" it seems the only answer that is given is "I wouldn't do it."

The same answers are regurgitated over and over without any facts. Its too small, its too light, or the typical "my (not a Jeep) couldn't do it."

The fact is, there isn't much difference between the Jeep Wrangler and the Ford Explorer numbers posted above... so other than the stigma of "I wouldn't do it", what facts can anyone present on why its not good to tow with a Jeep?

Where's the safety data? Where are the crash statistics? Where are the facts? If you don't own a Jeep, have never pulled with a Jeep, or have never ridden in a Jeep that was towing something... why bother answering?
Old 06-12-2014, 08:13 AM   #52

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum - View Single Post - Light wieght travel trailer

3000lbs pulled by a Jeep on 35's.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #53

Nor'easters Club
So what do you consider a fact of it being too small or too light? Can the jeep move it? sure it can. Will it put a lot of stress and wear and tear on the vehicle causing excessive wear? Yes. Is that what you consider a fact of it not being ideally suited? If not a lot of people do it, there wont be "facts" of failures and problems. I'm sure there aren't a lot of "facts" about why a ford focus cant tow a 5th wheel, that doesn't automatically mean it can be done. We all watched the TV commercial where a Toyota Tundra "towed" the space shuttle across a bridge. Does that mean it is safe for that truck to tow that around on the highway? Of course not.

But I don't tow with a jeep wrangler, so I suppose any of my advice doesn't apply to your situation. Neither does my experience towing large heavy things while I was a wrecker operator and LVS operator in the Marine Corps moving hundreds of thousands of pounds through combat zones. Towing is towing, and it all involves knowing what your vehicle can and can not SAFELY do.

As for that 3000lb trailer pulled by a jeep, I can give you some advice on owning one. My trailer that I currently pull is the 2012 model of that exact trailer. And I can tell you from experience, unless he removed a lot of equipment, it is well over the 3000 pound dry shipping weight it says on the side. Can it be done? Apparently it can be done with a jeep. Can it be done safely? I will say with certainty NO. If my trailer loaded down has an affect on my F-250 diesel, (meaning it is felt back there and affects climbing speeds and braking) then the effect would be much more in a vehicle with half the weight, power, brakes, suspension, etc etc. he even says he needs to regear to 4.88 gears to pull it on his 35s.

So you take it for what its worth. We are all trying to help you here because you asked for opinions and help. I'm sorry we didn't give you the answer you were expecting, but they are our answers based off personal experience in similar situations in an attempt to keep you and your family safe, and having a great time.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneracin View Post
If my trailer loaded down has an affect on my F-250 diesel, (meaning it is felt back there and affects climbing speeds and braking) then the effect would be much more in a vehicle with half the weight, power, brakes, suspension, etc etc. he even says he needs to regear to 4.88 gears to pull it on his 35s.

If that trailer has an effect on your F-250 Diesel, then you need to check your truck.

I had a 2003 F-250 Diesel with the 6.0L engine in it, and I pulled 4 horses, in a 4 horse gooseneck STEEL trailer from Dallas to South Louisiana and back multiple times without issue. On the last move back to Dallas, the 4 horses were in the back, and the dressing room was loaded with furniture and it performed just fine.

I also owned a single cab 2002 Dodge Ram 1500, which I used to pull a 20-something foot 1970 something fiberglass Argosy that my father had rebuilt. I used a weight distribution hitch and pulled it all over north Texas. The Ram, which was a V8 manual transmission got a little sluggish going up steep hills, but I never had an issue with it.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:33 AM   #55

Well I have seen jeeps towing here in BC and the two I seen were dragging there bumpers. So set up wrong this could be.

Have I seen a jeep wrangler in a campground no. Have I seen jeep liberties in the campground yes I have. But then wait have I seen a lowered chevy colorado towing a 20ft travel tralier nope just one mine. So just because you don't see it does not mean it can't be done. Everyone gets focused on the fact you need a big truck or you can't tow something.

The fact here is the jeep wrangler has been given a 3500 pound tow capacity now is it because someone at jeep said no one will tow a big tralier with it so just install a small hitch rated at 3500 pounds. Now if they make a bigger hitch that gives it a bigger load capacity this whole thing could work for this.

But from all the reading I could look at on this jeep a tent tralier is what jeep said it will do very happy. The guy you posted lives on very flat land and from what you have stated you also do.

So I feel that if you feel like going for it you should just do it. And you and only you will know what it will feel like to tow with the jeep. Post some pics all hooked up and then go out and report back to all of us how weel everthing did.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:24 AM   #56

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
If that trailer has an effect on your F-250 Diesel, then you need to check your truck.

I had a 2003 F-250 Diesel with the 6.0L engine in it, and I pulled 4 horses, in a 4 horse gooseneck STEEL trailer from Dallas to South Louisiana and back multiple times without issue. On the last move back to Dallas, the 4 horses were in the back, and the dressing room was loaded with furniture and it performed just fine.

I also owned a single cab 2002 Dodge Ram 1500, which I used to pull a 20-something foot 1970 something fiberglass Argosy that my father had rebuilt. I used a weight distribution hitch and pulled it all over north Texas. The Ram, which was a V8 manual transmission got a little sluggish going up steep hills, but I never had an issue with it.
That's why I specified what I meant by "having an affect" meaning you can feel some extra weight when braking, and starting or going up long grades. Those effects would be more pronounced in a smaller tow vehicle. I didn't say it struggled or anything like that, simply saying you notice it. Just like your 2003 I'm sure drove just fine, but I'm sure it didn't perform exactly the same as it did with no trailer at all.

I was simply trying to help you by giving an opinion as to why jeep rated it for what they did. I think you will have a much nicer trip if the setup was tilted more in the favor of the tow vehicle. you asked for advice, and all the advice we give you, you dont seem to like. So fine, there is a picture of a guy towing a 3000 lb dry weight trailer with a wrangler, he says it is perfectly fine. So he MUST be right. I will tow the way I like to, and you can do whatever you wish. It is your decision, and I hope you find exactly what you are looking for. I wish you the best and safest travels with your new purchase. Enjoy.