Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2014, 02:59 PM   #71

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Nice looking rig you got there...
SeabeckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2014, 03:07 PM   #72

Good ol' Gay Pontiac. Oops. They don't make Pontiacs anymore... That's a nice truck!
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:32 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoPhoto View Post
Sorry to have wasted your time. We traded in the Kia today and bought this. Still have the Jeep though
Don't tell me--you're thinking about getting a bigger trailer than what you originally thought and want to know how much your new truck can tow, right?

Andre
Heymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:35 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heymon View Post
Don't tell me--you're thinking about getting a bigger trailer than what you originally thought and want to know how much your new truck can tow, right?

Andre

Sort of. The options have certainly changed....
JaycoPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:44 PM   #75

Very Good Heymon !!!

So glad to see you upgraded your TV, at least if i'm ever on the highway near you, i will be safer !!

Unless you are now considering a 37 fifth Wheel < just kidding Jayco >

Jim
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:51 PM   #76

Send a message via Yahoo to Biken201
Nice! Let us know what trailer you decide on.

- 2011 Ram 3500 DRW
- 2014 Arctic Fox 31D
Old 06-14-2014, 06:57 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Very Good Heymon !!!

So glad to see you upgraded your TV, at least if i'm ever on the highway near you, i will be safer !!

Unless you are now considering a 37 fifth Wheel < just kidding Jayco >

Jim

It wasn't exactly planned. We had joked about it because of the trailer buying thing, but didn't actually think it would happen.

We had a 2013 Kia Sportage that we bought a year ago in March. We were $7K upside down on it so we surely thought we'd never be able to do anything.

But this morning I took it for an oil change, and while waiting I walked across the lot to the GMC place and they pulled a salesman out to come talk to me. Thankfully there were enough rebates on this truck to eat up my negative equity. So no money down, two hours of my time, and I walked out with a new truck and my payments went up a mere $10 a month.

We opted for the 4.7L V6 instead of the V8 for gas mileage since it still has to be a daily driver. But even with the V6 we still have a max tow of 6500lbs. The hitch and 7 way are already installed, I just need to add a brake controller.

It's a 2014 GMC Sierra Texas Edition, so its a very comfortable ride. It opens up a whole new class of trailers for us too, so we are back to square one shopping for trailers.

There is a Fireside by Keystone on sale here at Holiday World in Houston. It's a 19' trailer that is normally $19K but they have it on sale for $12,999 right now.

But we'll have to continue to shop because now we aren't sure about the expandables anymore.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:00 PM   #78

Great looking truck good choice.

Like I stated go buy a P3 brake controller this is a great controller.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:08 PM   #79

Winnebago Owners Club
Congratulations on the new rig. Nice looking truck. As you say it will open up more options for you in chosing a TT.

With all of the adice you have recieved you should have the resources to come up with a safe towing combination that will suit your needs and give you a lot of years of pleasure.

But for Heaven's sake don't ask our opinion for your new choice. Calculate the numbers, make your choice, sign the agreement and then tell us what you purchased.

On another note I checked and a possible reason for different GCVW between here and Europe may have to do with licensing. A standard drivers license in Britain is only allowed to pull a trailer up to 3300 lb or a maximum combination of 7700 lb. Anything more requires additional endorsements.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
But for Heaven's sake don't ask our opinion for your new choice. Calculate the numbers, make your choice, sign the agreement and then tell us what you purchased.

The only thing I'll ask is which brands to stay away from. For instance, I've had three or more friends tell me to STAY AWAY from anything made by Forest River. Apparently their stuff falls apart while rolling down the road, and they dont honor their warranties. I've also had friends tell me not so favorable things about Keystone.

Of everything I've seen, Jayco was the most well made. But who knows what we'll end up with now. We are back to square one on the trailer stuff because this truck has opened up so many new choices and options.

Holiday World in Houston has the Fireside by Keystone on sale right now. Its a 19 foot trailer, that is normally $19K, but they have it on sale for $12K. So far its the MOST trailer for the LEAST amount of money, but because of the things I've been told, I'm hesitant.

We've set a goal of August 1st, so we'll hopefully have a better idea soon so that we can start that financing/delivery process by mid July.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:28 PM   #81

Quote:
The only thing I'll ask is which brands to stay away from. For instance, I've had three or more friends tell me to STAY AWAY from anything made by Forest River. Apparently their stuff falls apart while rolling down the road, and they dont honor their warranties.

I'm an extremely happy Forest River owner. What few issues we had, which were minor, were addressed quickly with no hassles. Each brand has an owners group forum so when you narrow your choice down drop in there for specific questions about your model.

Good luck.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:42 PM   #82

We bought a 2013 Jayco JayFlight 28BHBE largely because of the same reputation stuff you've heard. But, I've got buddies who bought Keystone and Forest River about the same time. They love theirs. There are some things in theirs that I wish my Jayco had, and some things i like better about mine. From a build perspective, I believe the Jayco is well made, solid and should last. Some of the fit & finish things are a little disappointing, but very pleased overall. But, those guys are happy with theirs too. Whatever you buy, walk through and be very thorough. Look inside, under, pull on things, etc. they make all of these things quickly and it's easy for them to miss things. Go to YouTube and look for how a trailer is made. It's pretty amazing.
DanFromGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:04 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor1920 View Post
I'm an extremely happy Forest River owner. What few issues we had, which were minor, were addressed quickly with no hassles. Each brand has an owners group forum so when you narrow your choice down drop in there for specific questions about your model.

Good luck.

We looked at some Micro-Lite's that had slides in them after we bought the truck yesterday. The saleswoman was really nice and said that Forest River used to be crap. She said that the company used to file bankruptcy and then re-emerge with a new brand. She said that Forest River was actually bought by Warren Buffet and that it has since been turned around.

From the limited selection of stuff I've seen from Forest River, they have some nice advantages. Such as lightweight trailers with slides and such. But they cut some corners on things like cabinets and fixtures so there's some trade outs there.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:08 AM   #84

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
The only thing I'll ask is which brands to stay away from. For instance, I've had three or more friends tell me to STAY AWAY from anything made by Forest River. Apparently their stuff falls apart while rolling down the road, and they dont honor their warranties. I've also had friends tell me not so favorable things about Keystone.

Of everything I've seen, Jayco was the most well made. But who knows what we'll end up with now. We are back to square one on the trailer stuff because this truck has opened up so many new choices and options.

Holiday World in Houston has the Fireside by Keystone on sale right now. Its a 19 foot trailer, that is normally $19K, but they have it on sale for $12K. So far its the MOST trailer for the LEAST amount of money, but because of the things I've been told, I'm hesitant.

We've set a goal of August 1st, so we'll hopefully have a better idea soon so that we can start that financing/delivery process by mid July.
Hey Jay;
I hear what you are saying but you will find that most manufacturers will have some problems. I would think about how you are going to use the trailer.

If you are hauling it short distances over smooth roads at reasonable speeds and possibly parking it in one location for extended periods a less robust TT may be OK.

IMO the finishing will soon be nicked, bumped and scratched just through normal use. If you are careful, a bit handy and have some color crayons the finish will be as good as you make it. It is always easier and cheaper to tack it back up yourself than to haul it to the dealer to have them do it. Fuel and time cost you each time you return to the dealer to drop it off and pick it up.

There are a number of trailer companies who built high end, substantial TT. Many of them went out of business because the sales cost was too high and the trailer weight too heavy.

The major things like WH, furnace, A/C, fridge, water pump are all covered by separate manufacturers warranty so it comes down to the dealer. Some dealers are just better than others so the important thing is to find one that will do their best to help you sort the big issues out.

An economical trailer used for 5 or 6 years, well kept can have a good residual value. Then you can work out an annual cost.

Big thing for me is the floor plan. Mechanical things can be fixed but the floor plan is forever. You have to be comfortable in your accommodations.