Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #1

Arrow Soon to be beginners...

Hello,

My name is Chris, and my partner and I have been looking into buying our first travel trailer. We were able to get out and see multiple brands this weekend, and after viewing a number of units, I believe we've settled on a Jayco Jayfeather X17A or X17Z. We hope to purchase our trailer sometime next month.

We currently live in the Houston, TX area, and we enjoy cooking, fishing, gardening, camping, and I'm also an avid photographer. We have two dogs, Wrangler our 12 year old mixed breed, and DLT DragonSlayer or "Slayer" our 6 year old retired racing greyhound. Together with our dogs we are hoping to experience more of the natural attractions that Texas and the surrounding states offer.

We'll be pulling our trailer with our 2014 Jeep Wrangler 4dr, so any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I've had a number of people tell me that it can't be done, and I've had other's who say the Jeep performs greatly.

In any event, we'll be looking to this forum and the RV community for more information and answers to our questions as we go through the buying and beginning processes. Thanks to everyone in advance for any assistance or advice.

Chris
JaycoPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2014, 11:35 AM   #2

Chris: I think you will be fine...welcome to the community ... go ask the dealer to let you tow the trailer with your Jeep to make sure all is well.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your decision.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:29 PM   #4

Welcome and the best of luck on your new TT. But, I don't know about 2 adults and 2 large dogs in a 17 ft. TT ? But i'm an old gizzer !!!!
Jim
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:22 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
Welcome! I'm with Jim... My first one was a 19' and it was only 18 months old when I sold it and bought a 29' trailer. When the weather's bad and you spend a week inside...

Best of luck with your decision...

Edit: I should add that we are looking to upgrade soon, and will probably get a 35' trailer with 3 slides... Conventional wisdom says to buy your second trailer, first...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:26 PM   #6

howdy
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Welcome and the best of luck on your new TT. But, I don't know about 2 adults and 2 large dogs in a 17 ft. TT ? But i'm an old gizzer !!!!
Jim

Well, we only do small weekend trips to the beach, or nearby state parks at the moment. We tent camped in the past, but we could never take our dogs. The thing we like about this trailer is that they get their own queen size bed on one side or the other.

If we take to the hobby really well, we may look at a bigger vehicle and a bigger trailer in the next couple if years
Old 06-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:22 PM   #9

I have mentioned this to a few first timers ( we included ) check out used TT's 3 or 4 years old, save a lot of money, and if you like the lifestyle, you "WILL" be upgrading soon. Just a thought !!!

From a cheap old Gizzer ( and wife ) Jim
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
I have mentioned this to a few first timers ( we included ) check out used TT's 3 or 4 years old, save a lot of money, and if you like the lifestyle, you "WILL" be upgrading soon. Just a thought !!!

From a cheap old Gizzer ( and wife ) Jim

I'm too paranoid to buy used. I don't know what they've been through, or how they've been cared for, and I do not want to spend that kind of money on someone else's problem's. If we bought used, and had issues it would certainly deter us from going forward. We both decided we wanted new from the get go.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:00 PM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to Biken201
Hello and welcome!

It appears that your jeep maxes out at a 3500 lb tow capacity (and that is when most properly equipped). Make sure to research, Research RESEARCH whether your vehicle will be able to safely tow either of the two models you're looking at. I'm betting it's an RV salesman that is telling you your jeep will tow it with no problem. Remember that it's their job to get the trailer off of their lot, and NOT to ensure your tow vehicle is capable of safely pulling it.

I'm guessing that people with greater wisdom than mine will chime in on the reality of towing that size trailer with a Wrangler.

Have you looked at popups? Some have similar amenities to the trailers you are considering, and might be a better choice because of your intended tow vehicle.

Either way, enjoy researching and looking at trailers! Hope to see you amongst us soon!

2014 Arctic Fox 31D
2011 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 Cummins
Old 06-09-2014, 08:50 PM   #12

Jayco Jayfeather X17A or X17Z both have GVW of 3500#
'17' F350 6.7 CC King Ranch DRW 4x4 4:10s B&W 20 K Companion Hitch
'04' NuWa 33.5 RLTG DA Demco GlideRide pin box
Stickdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:05 PM   #13

X2 on the popup. You will have more floorspace(living space) and an easier tow. We had a 18' hybrid, nice large beds but after 10mo of climbing over the dog 55lbs) we had to trade up. If we had the popup I suspect we would have been fine.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:08 AM   #14

I would hesitate to tow these models since they are at your Jeep's tow limit unloaded.
jeeper182 is offline   Reply With Quote