Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2006, 08:31 AM   #1

i read an article about special licenses when combined gross vehicle weight ratings are over 26000 lbs. i checked laws in ny and texas and this seems to be correct. in ny it requires a road test texas also i believe. anybody have any experience with this. just an example if the gvwr of truck is 13000 and gvwr of 5er is 13500 you would need a special license for this combination.
fisheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2006, 08:31 AM   #2

i read an article about special licenses when combined gross vehicle weight ratings are over 26000 lbs. i checked laws in ny and texas and this seems to be correct. in ny it requires a road test texas also i believe. anybody have any experience with this. just an example if the gvwr of truck is 13000 and gvwr of 5er is 13500 you would need a special license for this combination.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:07 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
There are several informative threads on this issue, Click here for one.

Or here for another.

And here's another one.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:09 AM   #4

Using your example, no you would not need a special license. You're actually confusing Gross Vehicle Weight Rating with Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating.

GVWR is the maximum amount of weight the vehicle can handle on it's own chassis, while GCVWR is what it can handle on it's own chassis AND what it can tow simultaneously. That's two completely different things. A GVWR of 26000 or more pounds does require a special license, but a 26000 GCVWR does not. You can use your normal license for that.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:46 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Some states require a Non-CDL Class 'A' license when there is a combination of vehicles that is exempt from CDL requirements and when the towed unit has a GVWR of 10,001 pounds or more. In his example, he states the GVWR of the 5er as 13500. In states having such requirements, he'd be required to hold the Class 'A' Non-CDL license to legally tow that 5er.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:46 PM   #6

If you are not towing/hauling for hire a CDL is not required. Some states have non-CDL license requriements for towing/hauling, Texas is one I've heard of. If you are driving/towing legally in your home state you should be in compliance everywhere. You may read the commercial requirements here: CDL requirements
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 03:41 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Actually, Texas (like most states) exempts RVs in personal use from CDL requirements. Texas does have a Classified Driver's License system (see HERE, page 7 of 104), but I've never heard of it being enforced on RV drivers.

Another consideration is how states calculate GCWR. Many add the individual axle weight ratings - in my case:

Truck front axle GAWR - 4500 lbs
Truck rear axle GAWR - 7500 lbs
Trailer axle total GAWR - 14000 lbs
Total GAWR, truck and trailer - 26000 lbs

Adding the truck's GVWR and the trailer's GVWR is double-dipping since part of my trailer's rated GVWR is carried by the truck. See the example below:

Truck GVWR - 10500 lbs
Trailer GVWR - 16000 lbs
Total GVWR - 26500 lbs

But, as shown above, the actual total maximum weight of both vehicles is limited to 26000 lbs by the GAWRs. The trailer axles are rated for only 14000 lbs, so the other 2000 lbs of its 16000 lb GVWR, if used, must be carried by the truck.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 05:59 AM   #8

Just to add to the confusion..there was an excellent article in the automotive (Saturday) section of the Toronto Star last year that dealt with legal requirements and "sales hype" in the RV business in Ontario. The upshot as I recall was that a special licence was needed to tow any trailer/5th wheel that had a manufacturer's GVW of 10,000 lbs or more (actually the metric equivalent so I may be out by 10 lbs either way). No limiatations on MH's that I remember and while the MOT rep agreed that the law was clear, he also said that enforcement had not been a priority but that would change at some point. made my decision based on that and purchased a 5th that has GVW of 9900 + change.....just in case.
I have towed all types of trailers/RV's across the sates and Canada since 1976 and have never been questioned....
Ian
Old 04-21-2006, 06:45 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Groveite:
The upshot as I recall was that a special licence was needed to tow any trailer/5th wheel that had a manufacturer's GVW of 10,000 lbs or more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Here in Texas, that only kicks in IF the GCWR (however it's calculated) also exceeds 26001 lbs.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 10:11 AM   #10

thanks for the replies. i don't think i confused the weights just worded it badly. which is about normal. hehe
Old 04-25-2006, 04:11 AM   #11

Gee I've always wondered why the hubby always has me drive- I'm the one with the CDL!

Good information here about this, glad I got to read up on it-great question!

Nell

2002 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 quad cab
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:00 AM   #12

This is all good information, but due to reciprocitiy between states.

You only need to comply with the state laws of the state you reside in, not the state you are driving through. This covers licensing only, vehicle weights and such are inforced.

So, get the license that applies for your state and drive the USA without worries.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:03 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RustyJC:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Groveite:
The upshot as I recall was that a special licence was needed to tow any trailer/5th wheel that had a manufacturer's GVW of 10,000 lbs or more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Here in Texas, that only kicks in IF the GCWR (however it's calculated) also exceeds 26001 lbs.

Rusty </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Unfortunately, that's no longer true:
§ 521.081. CLASS A LICENSE. A Class A driver's license
authorizes the holder of the license to operate:
(1) a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of
26,001 pounds or more; or
(2) a combination of vehicles that has a gross
combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, if the gross
vehicle weight rating of any vehicle or vehicles in tow is more than
10,000 pounds.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

While Motorhomes are specifically exempted, trailers aren't.

A Non-Commercial Class "A" [minimum] is now required.
RAM³ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 12:13 PM   #14

I wonder how many of you have EVER received a ticket for being over weight? How about a ticket for having the wrong licence? I don't think any scale house has ever flagged over a RV unit. Most weight cops would probably get p***## at you for pulling into their scalehouse and wasting their time.