Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2016, 01:49 PM   #1

Question Springs on top of axle - Axle flip

I just bought our trailer. I can't adjust the hitch low enough to level the trailer out. The stock susp. on my truck has the truck sitting pretty high, so I need a longer drop down adjustment for the hitch. I'm thinking about moving the spring pack to the top of the axles to raise the entire trailer. We boon dock most of the time so the added height would be a plus. No to mention the plumbing is in the back and seems very venerable. I haven't put the trailer on the side of the house yet. I'm not sure how it will handle the incline going up the driveway. More clearance can only be a good thing.

Has anyone done this? What are some of the unforeseen issues/consequences of making this adjustment?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2016, 02:34 PM   #2

I did it, years ago, for pulling it on the beach. I found no adverse effects.

You can't flip the axles due to the curve built in but they offer kits to do it. Check etrailers.com

Old 07-11-2016, 05:56 PM   #3

You'll need to weld new spring perches on that's all. I'd replace the U-bolts too.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:20 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Springs on top of axle - Axle flip

Flipping the springs / axle is not uncommon to do. There are RV shops that can provide for it.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:27 PM   #5

flipped axles

We bought our trailer with the axles flipped. It is light (Trail-Cruiser 26rks 4000lbs dry). Found it did not tow so well (seemed to sway on corners). We live in the BC mountains so I reversed the axles back to factory set and it tows great now.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
You'll need to weld new spring perches on that's all. I'd replace the U-bolts too.
Dexter makes a kit that fits most axles with no need to weld. A tack on the new spring perch is helpful but not required
Old 07-12-2016, 12:55 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
I rebuilt a 1967 18ft TT and replaced every thing below the frame. Also replaced lots of stuff above the frame! Spring mounts, springs, axles, wheels, tires. The old setup had 4" drop axles and springs under the axles. It sat very low to the ground with very little clearance. Probably part of the reason the rear holding tank went missing before I bought it. I installed new straight axles with the springs on top of the tandem axles. This increased the height about 7" total. It tows and handles fine after using a 6" lift hitch riser on a Tundra TV. It needed that much hitch raise to get the trailer level while hitched.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:09 AM   #8

I got a couple of phone estimates today for around 750. The dexter kit at etrailer dot com is 50 bucks. Its supposed to be drivable without welding. I may just do it myself then drive it down to get welded.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1361 View Post
I got a couple of phone estimates today for around 750. The dexter kit at etrailer dot com is 50 bucks. Its supposed to be drivable without welding. I may just do it myself then drive it down to get welded.
I'm in the process of doing them now. Just waiting on springs and EZ-Flex now to complete it. You don't HAVE to weld them up but it's recommended so the plates don't move around. Once you have everything bolted up though I don't think they would move very easy. I'd DIY it. It's not that difficult.

eTrailer will match pricing also PLUS 10%. Nick's truck parts has them for $27.71 plus shipping. For a set it came out to around $81 delivered. After I bought I sent eTrailer an e-mail with the order #, the part #, website and price. They go on the website, verify the price then send you a refund. They sent me back $32 or so. Took about a week but they did send the refund. I'll look around for cheaper stuff, order from eTrailer and as soon as I order I'll follow up with an e-mail with the order # asking for the match.

K71-385-00 -OVER/UNDER CONVERSION KIT 3" TUBE
Old 07-13-2016, 08:45 AM   #10

Being in retail my whole life till retiring, all i have to say is that you take a great reliable company like E Trailer, with great service, product knowledge and customer service, and use there best price policy against them for some unknown vendor ! Go for it, until the good vendors are gone, and you are left with the scum bags !!!

E Trailer is top notch people, and are always willing to help ! I will pay a few bucks more for that !!!! Without jerking there chain, and using them, as you !!!!!!

Sorry, but a few of their techs have helped me thru some problems in the past ! Try that with your lowest price vender !!!!
Old 07-13-2016, 09:38 AM   #11

Shame on E-Trailer for having a price matching policy!!!!!!

How dare people actually use E-Trailers price matching
policy!!!!!!!!

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:29 PM   #12

Between complaining about someone using an advertised price match policy today and yesterday blowing up because some one stated the fact that aluminum sided trailers tend to be on the lower side of most manufacturer's price point it sounds like a certain someone needs to take a break from the forums for a while and go camping and relax.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:08 PM   #13

If having a price match policy means you will no longer be in business, then don't have a price match policy. I don't see Wal-Mart down sizing. In fact, they have an app now you can scan your receipt and THEY will go find the lower price FOR YOU.

Would you buy a car for $25,000 from Dealer A or same car for $17,500 from Dealer B? What if Dealer A gave you a free coffee cup and floor mat?

I also didn't require eTrailer's top notch service. I could have easily went with Nick's Truck Parts and bought the EZ Flex for $81 less. Instead, I gave my money to eTrailer because of their price match. Did they turn as large a bottom line? No they did not, however, I guarantee if given a choice they will gladly take my $171 over $0.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:49 PM   #14

Well, Nut4speed, your might just be right about that ! and i'm reserving a lot of comments now. Hope the forum members benefits from your future post !

Tags
axle flip