Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2012, 06:50 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Sprinter Feedback

Looking to buy a Keystone Sprinter 318fls. Any pitfalls to look out for.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2012, 11:23 PM   #2

Don't know about the Sprinter, but you'll have to change your name.

Rysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

We had a 2001 Sprinter 25RK fifth wheel. Almost perfect for us two old folks. We drug that RV all over the USA more than once over 10 years. After 10 years, we sorta gave it to a daughter who is living in it.

Our Sprinter was upgraded with gel siding, day/night shades, 15k AC. Like all RV trailers, the factory tires were barely adequate for the wet and loaded weight of the trailer, not heavy duty enough for long-distance traveling. So we replaced the ST205/75R15C tires and 5" wide wheels with ST225/75R15D tires and 6" wide wheels. After that, we had no more trailer tire problems.

But barely-adequate tires is not just a Keystone problem. Every RV trailer I've looked at had barely-adequate tires - including my new Skyline Nomad Joey 196s TT. So if you plan on long-distance towing, plan on upgrading the tires before you head out. And the 225/75R15 tires require 6" wide wheels, so you'll probably need to replace the wheels too. A good source for inexpensive trailer wheels is Southwest Wheel. For example:
http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/...w128696ms.aspx

The 318FLS has a GVWR over 11,000 pounds, and a wet and loaded hitch weight of about 1,300 pounds. Too much for a half-ton pickup or full-size SUV. So I hope you have at least a three-quarter-ton pickup to tow it with.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren
We had a 2001 Sprinter 25RK fifth wheel. Almost perfect for us two old folks. We drug that RV all over the USA more than once over 10 years. After 10 years, we sorta gave it to a daughter who is living in it.

Our Sprinter was upgraded with gel siding, day/night shades, 15k AC. Like all RV trailers, the factory tires were barely adequate for the wet and loaded weight of the trailer, not heavy duty enough for long-distance traveling. So we replaced the ST205/75R15C tires and 5" wide wheels with ST225/75R15D tires and 6" wide wheels. After that, we had no more trailer tire problems.

But barely-adequate tires is not just a Keystone problem. Every RV trailer I've looked at had barely-adequate tires - including my new Skyline Nomad Joey 196s TT. So if you plan on long-distance towing, plan on upgrading the tires before you head out. And the 225/75R15 tires require 6" wide wheels, so you'll probably need to replace the wheels too. A good source for inexpensive trailer wheels is Southwest Wheel. For example:
http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/...w128696ms.aspx

The 318FLS has a GVWR over 11,000 pounds, and a wet and loaded hitch weight of about 1,300 pounds. Too much for a half-ton pickup or full-size SUV. So I hope you have at least a three-quarter-ton pickup to tow it with.
Thanks SmokyWren,
The tires have been upgraded apparently since they are the 75R15D. I pulled the RV home yesterday and was very happy with the way it pulled. It was over 3000 pounds heavier than my previous camper and didn't feel much different. I tow with a f250 so the weight wasn't much of an issue. The 5 feet of extra length was very different when I backed in the drive. Took a couple of shots to hit the drive.
Thanks again