Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2015, 11:51 AM   #1

Squirrel in my ceiling

Hello all, I have a 2015 Gulfbreeze 29BIK and I Have an issue with a squirrel that got in under the fiberglass nose and now it has gotten into my ceiling. I`m wandering if anyone has ever had this problem and if you think it may be a mfg. issue that should be covered by warranty. Any help would be appreciated.
gsp2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2015, 12:30 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did the squirrel eat a hole to enter? Where is the hole for the squirrel's entry and what did the dealer say?
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
Did the squirrel eat a hole to enter? Where is the hole for the squirrel's entry and what did the dealer say?
I second that question: How did the squirrel get in? If he got in from a spot he made or something that wasn't there when you bought it and the manufacturer didn't cause, then it's not their problem. That would an insurance claim.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 03:16 PM   #4

squirrel

whatever you do don't kill it while is inside, will smell forever i would call

an exterminator and ask for their advice. you want to remove the

animal alive.

Jim
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 03:17 PM   #5

How long have you had the trailer?

Did he eat a hole to get in. Or was it able to enter from something
the MFG left open or not seal?

Good luck.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:42 PM   #6

Rexhall Owners Group
I don't get it. There isn't an attic in the roof. Did it burrow a hole that it is living in?
JohnInAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:47 PM   #7

hello again, I have not talked to the dealer yet will be doing that in the am. From what I can see, Where the front cap meets the trailer tongue at the frame there is a 3-4'' gap along the whole bottom of the cap. I looked at different models with this type of cap and they are tight to the frame. The squirrel got between the cap and interior wall in the front of the trailer. Now to explain why I think it's in the ceiling, it has chewed the duct and the pieces are all over our mattress. I bought this trailer in may 2014. Will post again when I talk to dealer tomorrow. Thanks to all who responded.
gsp2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:52 PM   #8

WOW. We have so many squirrels around her I have lived in fear of one getting into my RV. We had them in our home attic and it was awful. Good luck.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:02 PM   #9

If you haven't seen it, it may not be a squirrel. It may be a large rat. You can get a large ground squirrel cage, also good for large rats, at your local hardware store. Just set it near the opening and bait it with a handful of peanuts in their shell.

Be patient, you will "miss" a few times most likely, but eventually they will trip the cage as they become more confident, even to the point of not having to bait the trap...if it is a squirrel.

Otherwise you should use a large sized sticky baited pad for a large rat, just outside the entrance. They will pass away before you realize they have been caught.

As was said, poison bait is your worst option as you can not control where they pass away.

I have caught some 35 to 40 large gray squirrels the last three years in my yard, including a large rat, in my single trap. I reocated the squirrels to a remote area rather than killing them. Squirrels are rodents, quite tough, and can be quite upset about being caught. They have huge claws and are very strong. Not pet-able or sweet as they appear to be when they accept food in the wild.

If you think you have a couple of gray squirrels near you, you actually have close to a dozen, but they all look very similar and are hard to differentiate.
LeeSusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:37 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Get documentation. Take photos of other front caps that are tightly sealed and yours which is not for comparison.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling