Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2016, 09:41 PM   #29

Sigh... I say it over and over. The important factor is the TIRE RATING. I have a 15,000 pound trailer which is spec for 16" LT G rated tires. I know many other heavy trailer owners who use the same G rated tires. Goodyear or Michelin G RATED LT tires are the way to go. The only thing tougher is a 17" H Rated tire. So forget ST or LT. Those designations don't tell you how strong a tire is. The Rating is the more important factor. I'll take my G rated LT tires over some D rated ST tire any day. Hear me now and believe me later.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2016, 09:56 PM   #30

And to clarify - LT are not only for light trucks. My LT tires are 110psi and made for heavy trailer use. Again - check the rating not the tire name.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:08 PM   #31

Outdoors RV Owners Club
How about the rims? If you upgrade the tires, does it not make sense to upgrade the rims too? Don't forget rims are also rated, usually close to the rating of the tire, I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong.
jimmystoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:14 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmystoys View Post
How about the rims? If you upgrade the tires, does it not make sense to upgrade the rims too? Don't forget rims are also rated, usually close to the rating of the tire, I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong.
That's correct.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:54 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithBowls View Post
Sigh... I say it over and over. The important factor is the TIRE RATING. I have a 15,000 pound trailer which is spec for 16" LT G rated tires. I know many other heavy trailer owners who use the same G rated tires. Goodyear or Michelin G RATED LT tires are the way to go. The only thing tougher is a 17" H Rated tire. So forget ST or LT. Those designations don't tell you how strong a tire is. The Rating is the more important factor. I'll take my G rated LT tires over some D rated ST tire any day. Hear me now and believe me later.
That's great and all, but many of us can't necessarily fit a 16" wheel on our trailers, especially when they were originally equipped with 14" wheels. I haven't seen any G-rated tires that I can use yet. It's hard enough to find D rated tires, let alone G.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:28 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_sos View Post
That's great and all, but many of us can't necessarily fit a 16" wheel on our trailers, especially when they were originally equipped with 14" wheels. I haven't seen any G-rated tires that I can use yet. It's hard enough to find D rated tires, let alone G.
Don't know your current tire size, but I have seen ST205/75R14C stated elsewhere. If that is the case, LT215/75R15D will be much better than the current junk, if there is 7/8" extra clearance all the way around. Load Range G tires will beat the snot out of your trailer if you could install them.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 04:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
Don't know your current tire size, but I have seen ST205/75R14C stated elsewhere. If that is the case, LT215/75R15D will be much better than the current junk, if there is 7/8" extra clearance all the way around. Load Range G tires will beat the snot out of your trailer if you could install them.
That's definitely what I am looking to get - I have plenty of room for those. Are there any particular brands or models I should look at? I was already thinking of getting 15" wheels anyway, I don't even trust the wheels that came on the trailer considering they are from the same company as the junky tires. I actually don't mind just a plain steel wheel like these: https://www.etrailer.com/p-AM20537.html
Old 11-06-2016, 05:34 PM   #36

I used Goodyear Wrangler HT tires on mine with 6" wide aluminum wheels. Be sure that you look at the required wheel width. My tires are made in USA and have been trouble free for tens of thousands of miles and still look almost new.

GoodyearÂ*Wrangler HT

15x6 STAR 5x4.50 [0456545] - Starcraft Parts

Get cheap plastic caps, if you can, to prevent corrosive action between the cap and wheel. Also get one piece lug nuts, not the kind that have a thin shell, I used 3/4" not the 13/16", so that there is more socket clearance to prevent finish loss again causing corrosion.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:50 AM   #37

Who makes 225 75R 15 E LT tires?
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:34 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post

I think that nobody does. You have discovered the problem.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:53 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
Zero LT tires. Here is a short list of ST tires in size ST225/75R15E

1. Towmax STR II
2. Maxxis
3. Hercules Power STR
4. Carlisle Radial Trail HD
5. Carlisle Radial Trail RH
6. Heartland ST Radial
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:34 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
Zero LT tires. Here is a short list of ST tires in size ST225/75R15E

1. Towmax STR II
2. Maxxis
3. Hercules Power STR
4. Carlisle Radial Trail HD
5. Carlisle Radial Trail RH
6. Heartland ST Radial
Of those, the Carlisle Radial Trail HD interests me. I had good luck with Maxxis, but sold the trailer.
Schwab has replaced 5 Towmax on warranty due to delam.
Still haven't used the spare
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:06 PM   #41

airstream has started using LT tires on trailers. this started in 2015 for some and now i believe all are fitted with 15" or 16" LT tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavenFla View Post
I get the fact that many owners move "up" to LT tires but when you say many.... it sounds like opinion not fact. Don't get me wrong... I like the LT choice over ST's, but lets stay on point.

I do not know any manufacturer who species LT tires for their "trailers".
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:35 PM   #42
RPr

You would be hard put to go to a bigger tire on my TT. I changed to an E rated and they rub on bumps.

I also do not know of any ST or LT stil made in the USA.
RPr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires