Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2015, 07:16 AM   #1

Stabilizer jacks question.

2nd trip out. 1st time leveling on my own. I'm on a somewhat level gravel spot. I backed it in then got my level. According to my level the left side was a little low. I placed my Lego blocks and backed onto them. That looked level. I then leveled front to back and everything looked good. Then I went around and engaged all 4 stabilizers. It was raining and I had some things to do off site so I left. When I got back I was now high on the left side...could I have tightened the stabilizers jacks too much to actually raise the TT some?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2015, 07:31 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Stabilizer jacks are not designed to apply enough lift to level your trailer. I would sooner believe with the rain soaked ground, your pads under your tires have settled.

You may simply need boards with more surface area to level with.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC

Old 06-26-2015, 03:37 PM   #3

On our 5th RV - I started leveling with the yellow blocks, then went to boards but I discovered cut strips of 3/4 inch rubber is the best system. They don't slip, sink or break, the only downside is they are a bit heavy. They are not hard to make and not that expensive, when you get them in big sheets at tractor supply. With the newer refrigerators being less sensitive than the older ones I just try to get close enough so you don't notice it when you are inside.
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:25 AM   #4

Sounds like you did it right and the ground just settled a bit.
Consider that your trailer does not have to be perfectly level. I usually set mine up slightly "nose high and left low" so water drains off the far back corner and we sleep with heads ever so slightly elevated. You would never know it from inside, though. Maybe letting my OCD dictate my RV setup is too much.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:29 PM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
Sounds like you did it right and the ground just settled a bit.
Consider that your trailer does not have to be perfectly level. I usually set mine up slightly "nose high and left low" so water drains off the far back corner and we sleep with heads ever so slightly elevated. You would never know it from inside, though. Maybe letting my OCD dictate my RV setup is too much.

TDI, I like that. Was always told that the TT HAD to be as level as you can get it then drop the stabilizers to keep from rocking.

Sounds as though the water soaked ground played havoc on your right side tires. When you readjusted did you notice if the right side stabilizers had more weight on them from sinking of that sides wheels? Just a thought as I'm new to this and trying learn.
Max100TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:57 PM   #6

Thanks all. Yes it did appear that all the rain and some sinking in took me a little out of level. I hooked up and re-leveled and things were fine after that. Our camper seems pretty solid but you definitely feels the rocking (sorry, I just changed the subject)... I'm thinking of adding some stabilizers like JT strong arms or steadyfast, do these work as advertised?
Old 06-29-2015, 06:44 AM   #7

I can't speak to the JT product, but I know it's not possible to get it as stable as a house.
If you have scissor jacks, make sure they are all bolted on tight. I would actually weld them on.

Also, any of the wheel chocks that go between the tires supposedly help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1726194d1428974559-how-keep-your-junk-rolling-down-hill-wheel_chocks.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	98658  
Old 06-29-2015, 09:32 AM   #8

The strong arm product works very well. BAL also make a similar product that is cheaper and works well also.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:26 PM   #9

We have always had some rocking no matter what we do, i have heard using tall blocks with a minimum extension of the scissor jack makes it more solid. Going to try that someday.

Tags
jacks