Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2016, 08:47 AM   #1

Stabilizers

The factory stabilizers just aren't cutting it, especially for the wife. Looking for any recommendations on an aftermarket set. Pictures and/or prices would be great too. Not sure if it matters, but we have an Evo 3250.
Seabee20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2016, 10:37 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
What kind of stabilizers do you have now, electric or manual?

What issues are you trying to get rid of? Might not be a stabilizer jack problem.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:24 AM   #3
IC2

If you are setting up just using the 2 rear jacks/stabilizers and the tongue jack, your trailer will shake, rattle and roll. You can mount a second set in the front or use a set of that little aluminum screw jacks. Regardless of whatever you do, there will always be a little unless you are able to put an almost solid foundation completely under the trailer. Between the rubber tires being pretty flexible, the frame has some wiggle too
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 12:29 PM   #4

I assume you have a tandem axle. If so, have you tried these:

https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack...21-001070.html
Old 05-14-2016, 12:58 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had to add two scissor jacks to the front of my toy hauler to stabilize it. They work great, and I use a power drill to move them up and down. Bought them at Harbor Freight.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:01 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack...39-941705.html. Check these out for level and stabalize the TT. Called them and they look better than the Lipperts.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:55 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I just installed 4 manual scissor jacks to replace my worthless electric stabilizers which were mounted front and back. I left the electric ones in place for now. I figure one day when I sell it someone might want them. I bought the 30" manual stabilizers you find at Camping World. You can find them on Amazon for quite a bit cheaper. I did that and think I paid $160 for all 4. Get yourself some self tapping 5/16 screws and spend about an hour installing them. The difference is night and day. So much more stable than those worthless electric stabilizers. I just keep a cordless drill in the trailer now and I can have mine deployed in 1/3rd the time without the dreadful noise those motors put off.

There are lots of threads on this lately, do a search for more info but my solution above is cheap and amazingly stable.

I mounted mine at a 45 to the side of the trailer, this was partly to accommodate the larger 30" model and for stabilization. With the 30" length you need nothing more than a thin pad if you are on soft ground. No need for 4x4's or 4x6's etc.. When retracted they tuck right up under. You can see them but they don't hang down like some I've seen. When deployed my trailer is so stable it amazes me. The pics below are in my driveway which has a decent slope. You can see I still have several inches I could extend on the front.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:53 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Hey Seabee, welcome aboard!

Our trailer isn't mobile, it's parked on our lot in an RV park. I used the concrete footing blocks from Home Depot with adjustable pads to make our trailer solid. I put the electric stabilizer jacks down, got the trailer level front to rear and side to side, then put the blocks at the four corners near where the factory jacks are. Snugged them up 1/2 turn from when the pads first contacted the frame and all is good. Solid, but certainly not a solution if the trailer is moved often.
Bob55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:50 AM   #9

If you mount 8 scissor jacks on concrete pads and have everything perfect the trailer will still move side to side and front to rear. Most all jacks don't do much for side to side, front to rear movement. I put the Steadyfast system on mine and she is pretty darn stable for a cheap tin and stick trailer. It anchors one of the front jacks with 2 struts so the trailer's front can't move side to side or front to rear, then the opposite side rear jack is anchored from side to side motion. Simple slick system that runs about $250 and is worth every penny.
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:02 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I enjoy the shake. Reminds me that I am on vacation in my TT.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:21 AM   #11

Steadyfast. I think its the best answer for under $6k. 6 point hydraulic jacks are good but a bunch more money.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:00 AM   #12

I never figure jacks as stabilizers, I figure them jacks. Get the trailer level and crank the jacks down to hold it level. But they don't stabilize the trailer. Simple easy test. Set up your trailer with the 4-6 jacks. Now push on the front or rear of the trailer with your hand in a side to side motion. Oh yeah, she is a-moving aint it? Even with the wheels chocked real good a strong man could possibly knock the hitch jack off it's base. Stabilizing is stopping that motion. The inch or so of water in my toilet stays put pretty nice as folks walk around in the trailer.
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:59 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I find many times I just need to raise one side 1-2 inch to get level. Thinking of getting a screw type jack to lift the low side up a little and not use blocks under the tires. Then put down the stabilizers. Anyone try this?
Old 05-20-2016, 09:05 PM   #14

J t Strongarm system. Makes it rock solid.