Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2014, 05:37 PM   #1

Stairs are very hard to pull out

From day one our stairs were very difficult to pull out. Both the front and rear bathroom stairs had this issue. Several times in the first year we mention this to the dealer but kept being told they just need to break in.

Now 18 months later it still a issue. The front ones seem to be much much
better. But the rear are worst to the point it all I can do to pull them out and back in.

I have used a spray dry lube with no luck. I don't see any signs of rust etc.

As most stairs this as a single step that flips up and down. Then the top 2
stairs roll out as you pull on the handle. All 3 steps have the issue in this case. I thought maybe they were installed in a angle which caused it to bind. But with the single stop not attach to the stair frame has the issue
I think it just may need some black magic at this point.

Any ideas.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2014, 09:01 PM   #2

I assume that you have checked the linkage for alignment and everything is ok. I have found that using a product called Power Lube by CRC is a good choice for this kind of problem. I get mine from Napa, comes in a red and white can. The best thing about it: it lubes without attracting dust. Try it, I use it on my electric steps all of the time and they operate real easy.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:44 AM   #3

I had the same issue and used wd 40 a few times and they are much better now
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:04 PM   #4

Have not tried WD-40 as I was afraid of the dust factor.

I have used the same oil free lub one uses on a slide out which is a dry spray type. But has not really change things.

I checked for alignment and they appear to be fine. Even the stop stair when folded up or bottom when it out. Which is not attached to the frame but rather the middle stair. Appears to have a issue too.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:40 PM   #5

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazingm42 View Post
Have not tried WD-40 as I was afraid of the dust factor.

I have used the same oil free lub one uses on a slide out which is a dry spray type. But has not really change things.

I checked for alignment and they appear to be fine. Even the stop stair when folded up or bottom when it out. Which is not attached to the frame but rather the middle stair. Appears to have a issue too.
Most likely the pivot rivets were over riveted. I would lube them up very liberally and hammer a stiff steel putty knife similar to using a chisel between the two mating surfaces where the rivet secures them. This could give the tight joint some moving room as we are most likely talking in thousandth's for clearance. After trying this then fold and unfold several times to move the lubricant into joints. If you are afraid of dirt sticking you can power wash them after completion of loosening them up.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:45 PM   #6

Don't use WD-40 but use the silcon version and won't attract the dirt.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:28 AM   #7

Use Break Free. Saturate them and work it up and down a few times. Why use dry lube on stairs? Lube them up heavy.
spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:59 PM   #8

Use a good penetrating lubricant to free the joints ,don't worry about dirt.
Labracorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labracorn View Post
Use a good penetrating lubricant to free the joints ,don't worry about dirt.
x2. Just this weekend my steps were creaking when steeping on them. Squirted some WD40 on and after about 10x going in and out. They were quiet. I use WD40 on them 2x a year to keep them moving easy. I won't use WD40 on everything but sometimes you just need to lather stuff up to get it to work right.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:26 PM   #10

WD has never failed me in over 30 years of using it..... if you want to lube it up just wait until the WD does its work then hit it with other stuff to keep it free
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #11

Or, do like I did and loan your rig to your son...VERY tight steps...he side swiped a pickup bumper when turning right...hit the trailer at the beginning of the step and slid all the way back to the fender, stopping just as the hitch on the bumper contacted the stairs. I am replacing the fender skirt and the step/door trim but the steps work great now!

A bit heavy handed, but the steps work slick now. I have a feeling they were installed in a bit of a bind...

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:32 PM   #12

Ouch, I will skip that idea...