Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #1

Staying in it for months

My wife is going to need to live in our travel trailer for six to nine months. We've found a campground we like, but is there anything I should do differently to leave the camper set up in one place for months at a time?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2014, 08:49 PM   #2

Set it on concrete, cover the tires. Get an offboard for the electric line to keep mice out. Insulate the water line or get an electric heated hose. Be sure to buy a jet to rinse the tanks and teach her how to rinse it when she has to dump black water. We have an Arctic Fox which has central heat and air, is well insulated and have used it at 4 degrees with no problems. I would look at more insulation under the bed and on the roof of the compartments. Anything for her comfort. Get some 40 gallon propane tanks and a good ceramic heater.
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:17 AM   #3

To Passin Thru: What is an "offboard for the electric line" ?
kulczge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:48 PM   #4

An inverted cone that you put over the line so they can't crawl up it.

I take it you weren't a Navy man?
DougL3NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:26 AM   #5

Can you elaborate? You have my attention? Mice? Navy?
Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:57 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you watched the cartoons on Saturday after the second world war, when they showed the mice and rats using the lines to the dock for tying up the ship, you would have seen the inverted cone attached to the lines that would prevent the access by the mice.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:47 PM   #7

Actually I served 6 years in the Navy but 99% of it was overseas shore duty. I do know what the cone is all about now that you mentioned it, thanks.
kulczge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:11 PM   #8

Depends on climate! Winter temps are what? You are going to need to make sure the trailer is capable of surviving down to that temp. Get a large propane tank usually can be rented from dealer. Setup auto fill auto pay account for propane. She will need to learn how to dump the black tank and do minor repairs as they crop up.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:22 PM   #9

For 6 months if it starts in May there is really not much to do. I use a water filter and anchor the awning.

For 9 months, and if in a cold winter climate there is a bunch of things you will need to do.

I just spent 5 months in Florida in my 5th wheel. Now I am back into my house. The thing I notice most is my house is insulated much much better than my 5th wheel. In cool or cold weather it is really difficult to keep a trailer warm. Do not under estimate how cold a trailer can get with out additional preparation.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:33 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I know that I'm not the only one that wants to know, but what did you do to get your wife to live in the trailer for 6 to 9 months. I've been a bad-d-d boy many times, but I've never been rewarded like this. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:48 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two kinds of RV's Motor homes and trailers (5th wheel or TT)

Motor homes do not like sitting around for months on end.. Trailers do not mind it at all.

The only thing I'd do special is cut some plywood to the profile of the tires, if you have dual axels cut it to fit the profile of the duals, and get a set of wheel covers (Dual wheel covers if that's what you use) and sit the wood up against the tires, then cover the assembly.

The wood will block UV light. the covers.. May not.

And that covers it.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:34 AM   #12

I'm living in mine f/t as I working 3 hrs from home. I quite enjoy it, and I has a small 19'. I just wished the lot fees weren't so expensive.

I also tried to stay in mine last winter, but had to bug out in Feb. I learned a lot, and there is a lot of work and planning to winter camp depending on your rig and your locations. When I got below 9* I'd freeze up, no matter how well I insulated. But mine wasn't meant to do what I did, either.

To begin with, the CG needs to have heated water coming in. Then you'll have to insulate the spigot with foam (also put a pale over it all). Then need to have a heated water hose. Next, I used some high grade foam with foil backing, and winter tape, and sealed the underside of the camper as much as possible. A must. Insulate all the pipes inside. I had a terrible problem with my drain pipes because they were outside underneath. I used heat tape but found out you can't wrap it too tight. If your black tank isn't heated, you can expect it to freeze solid. I'd recommend using it only in emergencies, and use the CG toliets instead. Electric heater worked great for me. Never used the furance until it dropped before 15*. I also used plastic on all the windows and covered the AC. Used fleeced material to cover the door. If it stayed above 20* I was as toasty.

Overall, I spend over $600 trying to winterize for f/t and failed anyways. But we also had record low temps.
ken90004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:53 AM   #13

She'll be training for a new job, near Birmingham, Alabama. She'll be home on the weekends, and has a few people she can stay with in really inclement situations. If the nine month training option comes along it still usually seldom gets below 20 degrees in the winter and almost never for more than two or three nights in a row.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:50 AM   #14

I think you'd be fine. IF it got below freeze for a few nights, I'd probably fill some containers with water, and drain it all to be safe. Just need some water to flush your toliet, and do some dishes. But it looks like the average winter temps is just above freezing at 35*. Just get a good 1500BTU heater or two, if you have a larger TT.

Oh, and make sure you got a good bed, or get a foam topper.
ken90004 is offline   Reply With Quote