Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2005, 03:47 AM   #1

I have offen seen a step ladder attached to the roof ladder of a rig traveling down the road. I, too would like to travel with my 6 foot step ladder and am wondering if this method is wise. Won't the ladder vibrate, and eventually wear on the ladder rungs, or worse, begin to cause the roof ladder to separate from the coach? And, if not, what is the fixture, or bracket I should use to hang my ladder?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2005, 03:47 AM   #2

I have offen seen a step ladder attached to the roof ladder of a rig traveling down the road. I, too would like to travel with my 6 foot step ladder and am wondering if this method is wise. Won't the ladder vibrate, and eventually wear on the ladder rungs, or worse, begin to cause the roof ladder to separate from the coach? And, if not, what is the fixture, or bracket I should use to hang my ladder?

Old 06-10-2005, 04:22 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
When I had my fiver, I didnt use my bumper for the sewer hose. I had a 4" PVC tube mounted under the rig to put the hose in. So I went to Camping World and got a 6'-7' (can't remember which)folding ladder that fit real nice inside the bumper. I attached a small piece of rope to the one end of the ladder. It was easy to just push the ladder inside the bumper but I found the rope helped in pulling it out.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 06:46 AM   #4

I mounted my ladder just behind the front landing gear. I put 4 hooks under the body & use 2 ratcheting draw straps to bring it tight into palce. It has been there for 6 years & never fallen off or been damaged.

Reg
Old 06-12-2005, 03:57 AM   #5

Thanks for your input. I really would like to hear from an rv'er who has theirs on the roof ladder. I've seen the collapsible ladders - they are fairly expensive, but seem to be the ticket.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:30 AM   #6

Well I used to haul it on the roof ladder but was always concerned about the load on the attaching hardware. Had some of the attaching screws come loose & do not know if it was a result of the ladder load on the the ladder or not but have not had any loose screws since I moved the ladder.
There you go, some input from 1 former ladder storage user.
Having said that, I now have a bike rack installed on the ladder & am monitoring the screws once again.

Reg.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:39 AM   #7

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I paid a little over $100 for my folding ladder back in 2000. If you can afford it it's worth it. The ladder is easily stored and more versatile (step ladder, straight ladder, scaffold, and more).
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 10:38 PM   #8

I just picked up a Werner ladder from Costco, almost an exact copy of the "Little Giant" ladder seen on TV. It does just abot everything, A-frame, staircase, two seperate A frames, extension to 17'. $100.00 I carry it in the back of my truck, just behind the 5er hitch. It's a great ladder, weights around 35lbs.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 03:39 AM   #9

I think I'll check into a collapsible ladder and keep it in the basement, or in the bed of my truck. All I needed was to hear "Had some of the attaching screws come loose" from Arctic Owl above. Thanks for all your input.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:38 AM   #10

I bought an Xtend & Climb Telescoping Ladder for $179.99 from Target.com

It works really well and stows just about anywhere.

Weight: 25 lbs.
Closed height: 2.5 ft.
Open height: 12.5 ft.
Width: 19 in.
Number of rungs: 13
Duty rating: 225 lbs.

Westhaver Associates, Inc.
WesWesthaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:29 AM   #11

Semper Fi

2006 Georgetown 370TS
Devil Dog is offline   Reply With Quote