Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #1

Steps into travel trailer

Have just got over broken ankle , 9 weeks no weight on leg . Muscle has one weakness . Any ideas on going into trailer using another type of hand hold
Having a little trouble going up into the TT . Balance is a little off .
I have the fold out handle on the left side
Thanks
capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2013, 06:21 AM   #2

CAPS... I was looking at the CAMPERSWORLD catalog and noticed that there is a step extender available..... it looks like the trick you might need to get you a bigger platform to step upon. You can see this item on the web site too.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #3

Sorry to hear about your ankle.

To me, the folding type handles are just not ergonomically friendly. Have tried them at shows. As you climb into your RV, your hand and arm have to twist around behind you. We had the soft grab handles custom installed on our TT by the dealer when we bought it and love them. With these, the handle is comfortable to grab, it's tall, and you can pull yourself upwards into the TT. CW has them:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...le-black/49592

There's also the Torklift Glowguide handrail. It's similar to a handrail on stairs in a house so you'd have more stability when climbing in and out of an RV. Even comes with a brush so you can turn it into long-handled brush! What more can you ask for?...

http://www.torklift.com/products/glowguide.php
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #4

Its not very graceful but after I broke my ankle and major surgery I did steps ON MY BUTT. Both up and down.

Also, I assume you know this already but if you are up right on steps, remember "bad down, good up" (BAD people go DOWN to hell, GOOD people go UP to heaven), as a reminder to lead with your bad foot on the way down stairs, and lead with your good foot on the way up stairs.
Smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #5

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Might consider a step cane
Making steps, stairs and stairway climbing easier.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #6

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
This is another link regarding a stair climbing cane
Stair Climbing Cane | Plus Size Living | Brylanehome
Old 10-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
DW has arthritis in her knee and has difficulty getting in and out. I made a set of portable steps that lets her take it easy getting in or out. I will get a picture and post it when I can.
txdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:01 AM   #8

http://rv-co.com/.

If this link works correctly, take a look at these steps and decks. A good friend of mine started this company after his wife had knee replacement surgery. They are very strong, lightweight, and fold to a compact size which are all important features in the RV world.
BigBill3111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #9

My wife has Lyme causing painful swollen joints so we added 2 straps to the door frame from CW that work well. She is independent and does'nt want help in and out except wehn it's so bad she can't do it. The strap screws are sufficient to: drill a smal hole, put them in with an electric screwdriver.
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote