Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #1

Stereo Install Problems

I have a 1977 coachman Cadet that i use for RC Racing and i put a pioneer 50Watt x4 i have the stereo in and working BUT have a issue when i turn the radio past a certain point it will cut out like it is out of power. how can i stop this. I have a few ideas. but not sure what would really work.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #2

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Anytime I have seen a problem like that it typically ends up being a ground issue. Make sure the head unit is very well grounded and also inspect your speaker wires. Sometimes the speaker wire will be contacting ground which doesn't start a fire or blow a fuse, but will mess with the radio.

AirLift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #3

354 mbs cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrainBamaged View Post
I have a 1977 coachman Cadet that i use for RC Racing and i put a pioneer 50Watt x4 i have the stereo in and working BUT have a issue when i turn the radio past a certain point it will cut out like it is out of power. how can i stop this. I have a few ideas. but not sure what would really work.
How loud are you turning it up. 1/2 or 3/4 ? some of the new amps will shut the amp off before the Fets blow(transistors in the output )and it can turn its self off like that so you wont do it for extended periods of time. 4 speakers at 50 watts is hardly 9 watts of peak to peak power.
you will need a booster amp maybe with an EQ. 200 watt Minum.
This is why most people run the head units to the amp,and then to the speakers.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #4

what kind of amp will i need looking for cheap or would a capicator wired to the positive work
Old 01-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #5

i am running 2 6.5" speakers as well as 2 6X9 i ran the power back to the inverter using 12 gauge i also ran the ground back to the panel as well
Old 01-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IF this is a 12 volt rig, Look to the wires feeding it power.. 50 watts times 4 channels is 200 watts, when you are talking a radio that is 25-30 amps (likely takes a 35-40 amp fuse if I'm guessing right) needs a fairly large feed, 12ga may not be enough.

If the power lines (often in the 20ga range) are not big enough, it is, in fact, cutting out due to lack of power.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #7

what grade is good enough i have 12 gauge wired to the radio harness should i go to 8 gauge would a battery help. i have a 120v to 12v converter but no battery. i usely run off SP or a generator
Old 01-10-2012, 06:57 AM   #8

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is just a head unit correct?

This isn't an actual external amp. The 50x4 is peak power. Rms is is only going to be about 9 watts as Someone already mentioned. The biggest fuse the radio would have or need is 20 amps. Probably closer to 10 amps is what it actually has.

12 gauge is more than sufficient, with one catch. How long are your power and ground lines? If you are running this thing 40' then twelve might not be sufficient. But honestly I'm more concerned about how long the ground is. In an ideal world the ground wouldn't be more than a foot long.
AirLift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #9

354 mbs cc

Quote:
what grade is good enough i have 12 gauge wired to the radio harness should i go to 8 gauge would a battery help. i have a 120v to 12v converter but no battery. i usely run off SP or a generator
First off the 50 watt amp is 5 watts per caennel or RMS, 7 watts of peak to peak. You said you were into remote control stuff me too I have 4x4 nitro truck and about 4 planes there fun. I cant beleive you dont have a buddy that knows about head units and such .I would look for a head unit a am/fm/cd/aux for all your acc.an amp 200 watt, and some good speakers and call it a day .
I dont think your building a base box are you/ if not you dont need all that gut renching power.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #10

it is a pioneer head unit with 4 pioneer speakers NO AMP it is a pioneer 50watt by 4 mossfett
Old 01-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #11

354 mbs cc

Quote:
it is a pioneer head unit with 4 pioneer speakers NO AMP it is a pioneer 50watt by 4 mossfett
Sounds like all you need is an amp no big deal look in the Pawn shops a dime a dozen.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #12

for 4 speakers like what are in a car?
Old 01-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #13

well i got the problem sorta figured out i used my lawn mower battery it worked but i think a larger battery would finish eliminating the problem

Tags
install