Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2016, 03:31 PM   #1

Stop TT from rocking/moving while parked at campsite

I put down the stabilizers, chock the wheels and leveled the TT, but it still moves while walking or moving inside the TT.
How can I prevent this? Any tips out there?

K25
kanaka25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2016, 03:38 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Difficult to remove all movement. Take more weight on the stabilizers to lessen weight on the tires. Do your stabilizers rotate? If so look at how they are positioned to help minimize movement.

They do make additional rods that go at an angle from the frame to the base of the stabilizer to triangulate and stiffen.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:26 PM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
Trailer bounces with jacks down

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...8&share_type=t
coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:36 PM   #4

You need to install some type of bracing on the jacks. Something as simple as a diagonal piece of wood or angle iron clamped diagonally from the frame to the base of your stab jacks will take most of the wiggle out. You need to do it front and rear. One going one way and the other, the other way. Then add a brace from the front stabs to the frame going front to rear. Those will take all the fore and aft, side to side movement out. If that doesn't get all of it then add two more jacks under the frame near the tires. Just snug them up. If you over tighten them they will take pressure off the front and rear stabs.
JT Strongarm is a good product that will eliminate most wiggle.
JT Strong Arm Jack Stabilizer System - Travel Trailer Kit - Lippert Components Inc 191025 - Stabilizing Jacks - Camping World
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:40 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
This unit here has it dialed in, in my opinion. I made my own following this basic design.
SteadyFast: 5th Wheel and RV Trailer Stabilizer
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:59 PM   #6

I had the same problem and I bought the xchocks and they have made significant improvement. Also build up your stabilizer jacks with some 2x4's because the farther down the jack comes the less it stablizes your trailer.
cmcguire48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:47 PM   #7

Steadyfast all the way. Also big blocks under the jacks. If you have a long trailer a third set of jacks in front of the front axle helps as well.

Next time you are at camp try this---level, chock, put the jacks down. Now try and move the trailer side to side in front and at the rear. YIKES! It moves all over don't it? The Steadyfast stops that.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:00 PM   #8

Just recently added Strongarm stabilizers to our 35' Sprinter TT and they made a big difference. The one thing I've noticed is their is still a little "bounce" movement when walking around the middle area of the trailer. Deduction is any trailer as long as ours or longer will still have a little suspension movement from walking or kids running around. Just the nature of having the supports at each end of a long, framed object on springs and rubber tires. I've added the universal stabilizers to the middle near the tires and that helps stop the jounce of walking, etc. Still experimenting with how much down force to apply on the jacks/stabilizers to get it as right as possible. Never will eliminate 100% of it but you sure can reduce it to a minimal amount. I'm considering figuring out a way to mount the universal stabilizers to the frame so all I have to do is unlatch them and set them up in place. The one thing that stands out on movement is when someone climbs the stairs on the way in. That weight and movement applied on the side like that is always noticeable. Have step supports but they only help the first one. That's another project on the list.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:42 PM   #9
RPr

It would be almost impossible to remove all the movement from my TT. I would have to set it on blocks.

Four stabilizers that if cranked to tight flex the frame and four tires on a 25 ft frame just have a certain amount of flexibility.

We pull in, level the TT, then snug the stabilizers. It is a trailer not a cottage.
RPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:48 AM   #10

If you have a tandem axle these do help, I use them.

https://www.amazon.com/X-Chock-Wheel.../dp/B002XLHUQG
Old 07-21-2016, 08:12 AM   #11

Like Wireman said...I use the x-chocks also. I also bought a 8"x 8" from Lowes and made some blocks that I use under my jacks. These help a lot but as stated earlier...it's a trailer not a cottage.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:13 PM   #12

A box sitting on springs & air filled rubber tires is always going to have a certain amount of movement unless it is completely lifted and sitting on blocks. To shorten the extension of the stab jacks (as mentioned previously) I have 4 6x6x12 with a carrying handle screwed on to each which has significantly reduced movement. But then again, I'm solo so it's not much of an issue.
ThinBlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:06 AM   #13

If you have slides, recheck the stabilizers after extending them. They release pressure from the non slide side.
Keen Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:46 PM   #14

Like others have said, x-chock the wheels, get some scissor or screw jacks for mid frame and the strongarm bars for the end stabilizers. I use all of that on my 27' and it eliminated about 95% of all felt movement.
Riccochet is offline   Reply With Quote