Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2004, 09:53 AM   #1

We were thinking about parking our TT on the lawn for the winter, and was wondering if there are any drawbacks to this. We need the driveway for company next week, but thought we'd leave the TT there if there aren't any problems other than the lawn may die.. it's winter so I'm not too concerned with that.
Thanks!

1999 Chevy Tahoe K1500 350 w/3:73 gear ratio
AnneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2004, 09:53 AM   #2

We were thinking about parking our TT on the lawn for the winter, and was wondering if there are any drawbacks to this. We need the driveway for company next week, but thought we'd leave the TT there if there aren't any problems other than the lawn may die.. it's winter so I'm not too concerned with that.
Thanks!

Old 11-18-2004, 02:14 PM   #3

I wrote Michelin about this a few years ago. They said to park it on boards or sheets of plywood to help keep the tires from moisture rot etc.
Jim
Old 11-18-2004, 03:48 PM   #4

I have no idea whether or not this is accurate but I read somewhere that due to moisture, it's bad to park long term on grass. They recommended blacktop, concrete or gravel.

1998 TowLite 18TD
BigPackFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 07:20 PM   #5

Go to your local home center and pick up a treated 2x12 and make some 4' ramps. Park it on those and you should have no problems..
Old 11-19-2004, 12:15 AM   #6

Did it for several years with my old TT. All the time not just winter. Put 20K + miles on the tires without issue, never used wood or anything. New fiver is to heavy and sinks so it stays on the gravel.

2006 Volvo VNL42T630 465HP 1650ft/lbs. 12 speed Freedomline
themisfitking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 03:09 PM   #7

Thanks everyone! I did read about not allowing moisture to remain under the TT, and that's what I was worried about. We have to park it on the grass for a few days, but since it doesn't look like we're getting any snow, rain, or moisture of any type in the near future, I'll have hubby put it back on the concrete as soon as our company goes home. Just to be safe.

Old 11-21-2004, 09:19 AM   #8

The moisture from the ground can have long-term effects on your frame as it will promote rust. Further, it's best to keep the grass from growing up around and underneath the trailer as this can otherwise increase the chances of insect infestation.

I park on concrete. It costs about $10 more per month at the storage lot, but to me it's worth it.
Between Trips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 10:04 PM   #9

Well, it gets to keep it's spot in the driveway. Mom-in-law can park on the grass for a few days. Now as long as we don't get much snow, I'm OK parking behind it. Worst case, I have to shovel snow after a plow moves it back into my driveway..... and up against the back of the Tahoe. And we're not exactly getting any snow here yet, so I'm not seeing any problems with that issue!

Old 10-20-2005, 09:27 PM   #10

Just a little tid bit I just ran in to. I hope don't have the same problem. Your rig must be 8' off the curb. Most likely differeant in each part of the country. That first 8 or so feet is the town, county or what ever you have were you live "part of their right of way" and depending on your neighbors you could end up with a summons. I lived in my house for 20 plus years and kept my house and proporty very nicely kept. Landscaper and all. I was the area pickup truck for the block. I was the tool guy as well for the block. Including the lawnmower and axe sharpener for everyone on the block. I was also they who took in your mail and watched your house when you went on vaccation. So when I wrecked my back and I bought my 5th wheel I had to wait for my buddies to take time from there own busy schedual to help me make room on the side of my house for the trailer. I went to each neighbor and let them know that the trailer would need to stay in my drive way for a couple of weeks when it was not out on the beach being used. Just a temp situation. Instead of being supportave. They called and made out a complaint with the town. The town came down and left a summons explaining that the trailer need to be moved or appear in court. I contacted the officer that wrote the summons and he was quite nice and explained what the violation was. But he also told me he could see my proportly was well kept and that I should not rush or worry about it. Just when I got a chance to move the trailer back off the 8 ft. He explained that some people need lives and have nothing else to do but agravate others. and they often forget everything you did for them. My buddies came over and made a real nice area for the rig and now they can all bite me. Just watch where you put it even if it is temperaraly. The snakes come out of the weeds.

Black 1997 F250 H/D 4X4
markclement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 04:51 PM   #11

I do hope you are no longer the pick up truck, axe sharpener and tool loaner for these weasels...