Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Solo Rvers Club
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Live Oak, FL
Posts: 107
Strange alarm sound... it's electrical and I'm stumped!

First of all, am getting ready to take my maiden 6 month RVing trip touring the Western USA -- leave May 23rd.... Yipppeee

Now, my problem... have a Gulf Stream Gulf Breeze TT that has a queen slide out on the end and sofa slide out. Has been sitting in my yard for 3 weeks not plugged in and everything is turn off on the inside. Today, I heard this noise like a dull alarm while I was working in the yard. Thought I would follow the noise. Lo and behold, it was inside my TT. It seemed to come from the roof and wasn't any alarms (I pulled the batteries just to be sure). When I pressed the switch to slide out the bed and/or sofa the noise stopped as long as I had the switch pressed.

Opened my fuse box and it looked like the top switch had flipped. I flipped it back and the alarm noise stopped. I am stumped.... what happened? How could the breaker flip when it was just sitting there not plugged in and everything off?

I can't get down to see what the breaker is -- I could just see it had flipped. Thoughts/suggestions? Sure would like this fixed before I head off next week.

Patsy
__________________

__________________
24' 2003 Dynamax Carri-Go
North Central FL - Go Gators....

YodaRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
Community Moderator
 
Scarab0088's Avatar


 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 14,051
The problem discription includes several systems that should not be inter-connected, making a diagnosis difficult...
The slide should be a 12 volt system
12 volt systems usually have fuses, not breakers.
120 volt AC systems usually have breakers, having moved away from fuses many years ago.

The sound could have been a relay that was "buzzing" from low voltage on the 12 volt system. Activating the slide control could have ended the sound by dropping the voltage in the system to a point that stopped the buzzing.

Are the RV batteries installed? If they are, do the batteries have a good charge, or are they discharged?

Need more info to venture a guess at the issue.

Best of luck
__________________

__________________
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,232
Sure it wasn't the LP detector that just sounded like it was from the roof?
Those are 12V and with low 12V then it will go off warning you.
__________________
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Solo Rvers Club
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Live Oak, FL
Posts: 107
The noise was not a buzz sound but like an audible alarm. The one RV battery -- not sure as it has not been charged in 3 weeks when I drove about 100 miles.

Just took a picture of the switch that was in the off position -- it's the one at the top marked "30" -- also uploading the only thing that seemed to be monitoring anything -- green light on Propane Safety panel.

Hope this photo of the fusebox helps.

Patsy


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
The problem discription includes several systems that should not be inter-connected, making a diagnosis difficult...
The slide should be a 12 volt system
12 volt systems usually have fuses, not breakers.
120 volt AC systems usually have breakers, having moved away from fuses many years ago.

The sound could have been a relay that was "buzzing" from low voltage on the 12 volt system. Activating the slide control could have ended the sound by dropping the voltage in the system to a point that stopped the buzzing.

Are the RV batteries installed? If they are, do the batteries have a good charge, or are they discharged?

Need more info to venture a guess at the issue.

Best of luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FuseBox.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	38913   Click image for larger version

Name:	PropaneAlarm.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	38914  

__________________
24' 2003 Dynamax Carri-Go
North Central FL - Go Gators....

YodaRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Solo Rvers Club
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Live Oak, FL
Posts: 107
Just had the tanks filled about 5 days ago.

Patsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Sure it wasn't the LP detector that just sounded like it was from the roof?
Those are 12V and with low 12V then it will go off warning you.
__________________
24' 2003 Dynamax Carri-Go
North Central FL - Go Gators....

YodaRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:31 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Quaddinmad40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lethbridge
Posts: 228
Do you have an inverter in your unit? If they are left on they could drain the battery and then give off a "low battery" audible alarm.

Probably need to plug into shore power anyways to get the battery charged up. I don't know if a 100 m three weeks ago really gave it that great a charge
__________________
97 Fleetwood Bounder 36S on F53 chassis 460 with as many quads on the trailer that I can fit or get running!
Quaddinmad40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:35 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Quaddinmad40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lethbridge
Posts: 228
Did the slide move when you pressed the switch?
__________________
97 Fleetwood Bounder 36S on F53 chassis 460 with as many quads on the trailer that I can fit or get running!
Quaddinmad40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:45 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Solo Rvers Club
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Live Oak, FL
Posts: 107
No, the slide did not move when I pressed the switch; however, when I hooked up to shore power it did move -- slowly.

Now, I will show my ignorance.... I don't know if I have an inverter in my unit. Never thought to ask the guy I bought it from (showing you how much I knew about buying a TT). How can I tell? Would this flip the breaker to the off position?

Patsy


Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaddinmad40 View Post
Do you have an inverter in your unit? If they are left on they could drain the battery and then give off a "low battery" audible alarm.

Probably need to plug into shore power anyways to get the battery charged up. I don't know if a 100 m three weeks ago really gave it that great a charge

Did the slide move when you pressed the switch?
__________________
24' 2003 Dynamax Carri-Go
North Central FL - Go Gators....

YodaRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:21 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,232
You have a 30A trailer. That 30A breaker is your main for 120VAC power. You say it was tripped?
If your 12V batt was low the LP detector will warn you. When you push the slide button it's draining all the left over power to zero so no more LP alarm. You let off it, and there's power for the LP alarm again. Filling the LP tanks five days ago has nothing to do with the alarm.
And you don't have an inverter.
__________________
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:28 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Solo Rvers Club
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Live Oak, FL
Posts: 107
Thank you so much for your response. At least I know I don't have an inverter and I will plug up to shore power today to try and charge the battery (as well as check the water levels). The alarm hasn't sounded since I flipped the tripped breaker and plugged up to shore power for about 2 hours.

Again, Thanks,

Patsy


Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
You have a 30A trailer. That 30A breaker is your main for 120VAC power. You say it was tripped?
If your 12V batt was low the LP detector will warn you. When you push the slide button it's draining all the left over power to zero so no more LP alarm. You let off it, and there's power for the LP alarm again. Filling the LP tanks five days ago has nothing to do with the alarm.
And you don't have an inverter.
__________________

__________________
24' 2003 Dynamax Carri-Go
North Central FL - Go Gators....

YodaRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
electrical



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.