Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-17-2006, 08:05 AM   #1
I am doing homework before we take the plunge. I have seen the lists of "stuff" but haven't seen any total weights of stuff,looking for round figures for a couple for vacationing for a month or so.

usona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2006, 08:05 AM   #2
I am doing homework before we take the plunge. I have seen the lists of "stuff" but haven't seen any total weights of stuff,looking for round figures for a couple for vacationing for a month or so.

Old 03-17-2006, 01:19 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Well, first of all Welcome to the site

Now a lot depends on time of the year, do you eat out or cook at the RV? How much or how many "toys" do you take with you?
Do you fill the water tank for boondocking or just take bottled water?
Winter clothes weigh more and take up a lot of space vs. a vacation to the beach in July.
Things to consider. A couple will "weigh" a lot less than a family of four.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 37WDS
2003 Honda Goldwing Trike
CyberVet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:01 AM   #4
I read in a Jayco?, brochure that a family of four would add approx 1000 pounds of "stuff" to the rv for a trip.
I don't have any idea how accurate that was.
milt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:34 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
From the "dry weight" on an RV you can add 500# to well over 1000# depending on what options were included or not included in the weight, how much water you carry and how much other necessities you carry.

Most of the "entry level" trailers do not include anything that is listed as an option. This includes things such as the A/C, microwave, batteries, TV, awning and so on. Best to look for the sticker in one of the cabinets which list the UVW (unloaded vehicle weight) which is SUPPOSED to represent the weight of the trailer as it left the factory, less any dealer added options.

Remember that water weighs 8.33 #/gallon and propane is about 6.0 #/gallon. So you see that 30 gallons of water adds a fair amount of weight.

Hope this gives you some insight into the weight issue. And welcome to the site.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 05:48 AM   #6
Canned foods and beverages will add up fast. A simple exercise is to use a home scale to weigh some canned food and note how many cans it takes to make 10 pounds or 20 pounds. Then you can count cans in the future instead of weighing stuff all the time. Weigh 5 or 10 pairs of jeans, 10 shirts, ect...to get average clothes weight. Oh I forgot, dont collect rocks!
When we had a popup we really had to watch what we crammed into it. Our fiver has about 3000 pounds of "stuff capacity", but with fuel costing so much, I still try and watch for unnecessary weight (like not leaving four scuba tanks in the storage compartment when we are not planning on any diving during that trip).
We always bring back about 80% of the food we take. I take that into account when packing for the next trip, but it still happens every trip

A good instructional video on "stuff" is the classic Lucy movie "The Long, Long Trailer." available at video stores.
Robert & Nancy with "Murphy the EOG"
Murphy has passed on, but Micah and Bogie have assumed the watch! 02 Holiday Rambler 5ver, 2015 Indian Chief Vintage. 98 Coachmen truck camper.
Two Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:16 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Mid Atlantic Campers
We keep a copy of that movie in our trailer and watch it once in awhile - just for a reality check.
RKamperRV...(Rick)...Millersville, PA
2006 Crossroads Cruiser CF32BL | 2012 Ford F350 Crew Cab Dually
Been to all 48 lower continental states once! Starting over...
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 09:18 AM   #8
It wasnt to hard for me and my family(5 total)+dog to rack up around 1100lb .Thats packing clothes for a week and most of our food,tools chairs you know the rest.Real world weight limits on my trailer after water and propane only gave me 1300lb's till I was over my gcvw.I made sure on this new rig I wouldnt be overloaded before I started adding supplies.

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:56 PM   #9
Thanks folks,gives me a good idea of what I will be allowed( the clothes on my back) wife will use the rest.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:03 AM   #10
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I will be allowed( the clothes on my back) wife will use the rest. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Now, that's about right! for that's the way it is around our house also.
2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Z-66 3.73:1

2006 Crossroads Cruiser CT-28FB
kw5kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:50 AM   #11
Monaco Owners Club
Great Reply about clothes on your back !!

The advice about weighing some clothes and canned goods is a Great idea! I am going to try that out. We just got a new trailer and I am really trying to take Less !
Will watch the movie (one of my all time favorites) again.....DH thinks I identify with it !

Dave, Lori, & our Annie

'08 Monaco Diplomat 40PDQ
CactusCampin' is offline   Reply With Quote