Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #1

Unhappy Stumped on the Black water tank...

Hello,

I am in dire need of some information on the black water tank and care of same. We purchased a 2007 freedom Spirit, put the camper in a campground for the season, and today before we closed down camp, we wanted to do a clean out of the black tank. You can see it's getting full when you flush and leave the flusher open and peer down. Not to mention the thing on the wall says its 2/3 full) Got underneath to close the value and discovered that there is NOTHING coming through that valve! Checked the valve on the grey water tank and it's fine. But nothing is coming thru the Black. We shut it and opened it to no avail. The trailer sat unused for about 4 years and could it be that there was something in there that could have dried out and hardened next to the valve (making it like concrete?)? I don't want to remove the hose and try to break thru it (can only imagine how THAT could end) , but have absolutely no idea how to handle this. Is there something I could put in the tank that could beak something like that up? Being a newbie camper owner, I am lost. Learning as I go but lost.....Any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated..(and thanks in advance !)

Shirley

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #2

Did you leave the valve open while using the toilet the whole time?
I'd get someone to pump it, then try breaking through it later on.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #3

Yep, as far as I know, that and the grey water tank valve as well. I didn't connect the hose, someone else did......ummm.... Would a regular septic cleaner be called?
Old 05-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #4

If you left the black tank valve open, most likely dryed up stuff near the value. Agree with above post to have someone pump it out. As to the guages, not very accurate at all. You might want to open value and from the toilet side, run a hose down and see if you can losen it up some. We only open the black valve when we empty, never leave it open. Use a hose that you never plan on using for fresh water for sure.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #5

Well, now it's understandable, that leaving the valve open would let things dry out. I had no clue. (Note to self after this is taken care of......keep value closed until emptying tank) I just thought that when you connected the hose to the sewer, that's all there was to it..(like being at home with city sewage)......apparently not quite like that.

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Shirley,
Try putting in some water softener and leave it in a while. It MIGHT soften it up and let it pass through. Worth a try.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #7

Ya, never leave the valve open it causes the TP and other solids to become well, solid. You have a mess now. You might now run a garden hose into the tank through the toilet and snake it down to the valve. Open the valve turn the water to the garden hose on and pray. If you can get it to unplug at least a little then close the valve and fill the tank with fresh water and let it set for a couple of days. It might soak up enough to flush everything out.

Are you sure the valve is opening? Sometimes the handle breaks off and the valve is still actually stuck closed.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #8

We recently were getting erroneous readings on black holding tank and it would never get to empty. Always at 1/3 and stayed that way.
Read somewhere to add laundry detergent (liquid) to tank through toilet and allow to sit for a few. Add water to capacity as tank flush. Similar to water softener as mentioned but also dissolves and breaks up hard materials.
We tried one of the oxy types and after opening black handle everything came rushing out. I had previously flushed tank with just water to no avail.
Install clear plastic adaptor before septic hose so you can see for sure if it's clean.
Good luck !
Old 05-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #9

We pull the valve handle to open and push to shut, right...That seems to be working but maybe not......We'll be back there this week-end so I'll take water softener and a garden hose.......
Old 05-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #10

If you can put some warm water into the black tank via the toilet and let it sit for a while as it seams you have a poop pyramid. If possible drive around for a while and let the water work to loosen up the block then try to drain again. This may take several tries and some say use ice cubes in the tank to move and breakup the block.
Good Luck
Old 05-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #11

OOPS! forgot to say get a wand that goes on end of garden hose and put it into the toilet while spraying in and trying to loosen up the clog. Just watch out for back spray and try to drain several times while doing this as tank will fill up. Make sure water supply is turned off to TT.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan JS View Post
We recently were getting erroneous readings on black holding tank and it would never get to empty. Always at 1/3 and stayed that way.
Read somewhere to add laundry detergent (liquid) to tank through toilet and allow to sit for a few. Add water to capacity as tank flush. Similar to water softener as mentioned but also dissolves and breaks up hard materials.
We tried one of the oxy types and after opening black handle everything came rushing out. I had previously flushed tank with just water to no avail.
Install clear plastic adaptor before septic hose so you can see for sure if it's clean.
Good luck !

That's what we were going to install after we flushed
Old 05-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Try the GEO Method. You can Google it. Basically you mix one cup of Calgon water softener in a pail of warm water. Add one cup of Dawn liquid detergent. If you wish you can also add one cup of liquid bleach. Pour this down the RV toilet. Drive your RV with this mixture in the tank. There should be at least 5 gallons in your black tank besides the GEO mixture. After a good drive on a bumpy road (20 miles sounds good for a clogged tank) try to empty the black water tank. Usually this will work to loosen things up. In cases of extreme pyramids, you may have to repeat the process. This method is inexpensive and doesn't include harsh chemicals. Once you free things up, ALWAYS use plenty of water when you flush solids (I speak from experience). After I dump the tanks, I add about 5 gallons of water to slosh around the black tank as I drive. I use the GEO Method about every 5-10 dumps. When you dump your tanks, they should be nearly full. The GEO Method helps your tank gauges to work better. It is not foolproof to get your gauges to work, but it helped mine. Good Luck!
Old 05-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #14
CD

Look up "Geo Method" That will tell you more than you ever wanted to know.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water