Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2016, 11:35 AM   #1

Sub-Floor Water Damage - Corner of TT Slide - Questions

I wanted to rip out my carpets and put something else down (which in and of itself seems to be extremely challenging with the slides, not sure what else I can do besides carpet on the slide out); however I've run into a damp water damage spot in the corner of the kitchen slide out on my 2002 Artic Fox 29' TT. I will post photo's below; however, I did stand outside in the rain looking everywhere - and realized that the only slide location where the water was running down behind the rubber was in the corner the damage is. I am wondering if I should get some calking (do they make specific RV calking? is it just regular outdoor calking with the name RV put on it and more $?). Anyone have any thoughts on best way to approach this? Is this like any sub-floor can I just replace the wood? I am new to all of this. Thank You!

Trailer: The corner you see is the damage area

Inside:

Damage:

Water Running:

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2016, 05:28 PM   #2

So it's in the slide itself? I am not sure of how that is constructed. But I'd guess you can get at it from underneath as well. I don't know about 2002's but the current models use a laminated design with heavy insulation sandwiched between the inner and outer walls. Being you live in a fairly wet location you'll want to nip this in the bud. I'd darn sure figure out where the leak is coming from first. Right off hand I'd say it's leaking down the wall from the top of the slide. Pretty hard to nail down the pathway.
You may want to call Northwood and see if they can offer any advice.

We had a slow leak from our water pump under a kitchen cabinet. It saturated the OSB board under there and I figured we had lost the trailer. I stuck a room heater in there for a couple days and dried it out and all is good. Other than some of the fake wood finish off the cabinet base peeling off you'd never know it looked so bad. But then again I live in a place that is drier than your local.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:36 PM   #3

Because the slide out floor is 'self supporting' repairing it should be done using ONE solid piece of pylwood vs just cutting out/replacing that section

The floor not only is self supporting but is the bases for supporting and attaching the sidewalls

Had the same kind of water damage in the same corner de to a plumbing line leak...flooded 5vr.

Slide out had to be removed, turned upside down, old floor removed, new floor installed and then slide out re-installed.

We had new carpeting installed.......section for slide outs was measured/cut for install and then sent out to have a 'binding' done to the overlapping section

AS for caulking......that looks like silicone was used.
IF so...that makes it more difficult to reseal
Silicone WON'T stick to silicone
So ALL silicone has to be removed......then a 'remover' has to be used to get rid of ALL residue left behind by silicone before any new caulking can be used

Dicor and ProFlex 'Non-self leveling' are common and popular RV sealants/caulking

That bottom floor trim and most likely the wiper/seal trim pieces would have to be removed/cleaned and then sealant applied prior to reinstall along with a finish bead for trim pieces to be water tight

Have you checked with Ins.?

Good luck!
Old 04-13-2016, 08:59 PM   #4

Doesn't look totally rotted by the picture is it really soft or just damp and moldy if so I'd just spay it with bleach to kill the mold and put new carpet down I'd remove the fabric under the slide floor to spray underneath also then putty tape the molding and a nice Bead of caulk. If it's rotted if done slide room floors without taking slide out just need to support slide by flange with a 2x6 some new screw extra 2inches though board all the screw are under floor screw under framing once slide is supported removed the bolts and bring the Rams in and floor will slide out its a job but not to bad
rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:15 AM   #5

It is the slide out itself. Great idea to call the manufacture. Appreciate your feedback. Sounds like a good thing you found your leak! I've had slow leaks do some serious damage in a rental property I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1340 View Post
So it's in the slide itself? I am not sure of how that is constructed. But I'd guess you can get at it from underneath as well. I don't know about 2002's but the current models use a laminated design with heavy insulation sandwiched between the inner and outer walls. Being you live in a fairly wet location you'll want to nip this in the bud. I'd darn sure figure out where the leak is coming from first. Right off hand I'd say it's leaking down the wall from the top of the slide. Pretty hard to nail down the pathway.
You may want to call Northwood and see if they can offer any advice.

We had a slow leak from our water pump under a kitchen cabinet. It saturated the OSB board under there and I figured we had lost the trailer. I stuck a room heater in there for a couple days and dried it out and all is good. Other than some of the fake wood finish off the cabinet base peeling off you'd never know it looked so bad. But then again I live in a place that is drier than your local.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:18 AM   #6

That's great to know about the single sheet. Thanks for the note! That's quite the repair on yours, holy moly. Thanks for the note about silicone as well, I will be sure to remove it all and look for those brands. I don't have insurance. I just bought it a month ago and paid cash. Turned out to be a bigger project than I anticipated so I ended up buying a 2007 Jayco in better shape to start using immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Because the slide out floor is 'self supporting' repairing it should be done using ONE solid piece of pylwood vs just cutting out/replacing that section

The floor not only is self supporting but is the bases for supporting and attaching the sidewalls

Had the same kind of water damage in the same corner de to a plumbing line leak...flooded 5vr.

Slide out had to be removed, turned upside down, old floor removed, new floor installed and then slide out re-installed.

We had new carpeting installed.......section for slide outs was measured/cut for install and then sent out to have a 'binding' done to the overlapping section

AS for caulking......that looks like silicone was used.
IF so...that makes it more difficult to reseal
Silicone WON'T stick to silicone
So ALL silicone has to be removed......then a 'remover' has to be used to get rid of ALL residue left behind by silicone before any new caulking can be used

Dicor and ProFlex 'Non-self leveling' are common and popular RV sealants/caulking

That bottom floor trim and most likely the wiper/seal trim pieces would have to be removed/cleaned and then sealant applied prior to reinstall along with a finish bead for trim pieces to be water tight

Have you checked with Ins.?

Good luck!
Old 04-14-2016, 09:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbleau6885 View Post
Doesn't look totally rotted by the picture is it really soft or just damp and moldy if so I'd just spay it with bleach to kill the mold and put new carpet down I'd remove the fabric under the slide floor to spray underneath also then putty tape the molding and a nice Bead of caulk. If it's rotted if done slide room floors without taking slide out just need to support slide by flange with a 2x6 some new screw extra 2inches though board all the screw are under floor screw under framing once slide is supported removed the bolts and bring the Rams in and floor will slide out its a job but not to bad
It's not totally rotted out at all. There is no mold either. Actually, it really rained last night and the night before and it's not even wet... Perhaps it's not a leak but rather was a spill from something inside? That seems like a highly unlikely area to have spill in a corner like that but it is under the dining room table.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:36 AM   #8

That looks like it had a leak for sure. The leak may have been repaired before and that's what's left. I had a very similar leak, but the floor was particle board and just disintegrated. I was able to remove and replace the bad spot without removing the slide. That spot doesn't look bad at all.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:24 PM   #9

Sub-Floor Water Damage - Corner of TT Slide - Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by zschwarzmill View Post
It's not totally rotted out at all. There is no mold either. Actually, it really rained last night and the night before and it's not even wet... Perhaps it's not a leak but rather was a spill from something inside? That seems like a highly unlikely area to have spill in a corner like that but it is under the dining room table.

Quote:

I would say it defiantly was a leak from the trim you can see very little all the way along the wall the slide is pitched back a bit so the water can run off. without a topper water travels down the sides down the flange to the trim which is why that corner is like that also your screws are rusty that's a big indicator of water. You should pull trim off corner moldings and check for rusty screws a well
rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Beer drinkers?
Old 04-16-2016, 08:31 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
What does it smell like?
Old 04-17-2016, 09:17 AM   #12

In the last pic, I think the water running down the side is getting in behind the flange along the bottom. "down the sides down the flange to the trim" as rbleau6885 mentioned above. I would remove all the caulking and clean well, then recaulk with the Dicor RV non-leveling caulk.
And you say it is just stained, not rotted. Dry it out with a space heater (assuming it is not going to get wet again while drying) and use a wood hardener such as Minwax to seal it. Then monitor it through some rainy periods to see if water gets in again. If not, replace carpet and use it or sell it.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:49 AM   #13

Thank you very much, awesome suggestions. The smell is unrelated to the damage. It just smells similar to when messy tenants vacate a rental that has no particular damage but just that "yucky" smell of someone else (if that makes sense?).

Tags
slide, water