Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2010, 10:38 PM   #1

Suddenly, radio & LP detector don't work

This is in our 30ft Tahoe travel trailer which sits on our land in the mountains all summer (not an issue with road vibration, etc). Both worked when we left last weekend then didn't work when we returned. I checked fuses and wire condition, flipped the main breaker, etc. and 'no power' seems to be there. Even thought about a chipmonk eating a wire but I don't see any damage. I realize this isn't something that can be diagnosed without actually being there but.... ideas on what to look for? Everything else works fine.
Thanks... Don McD

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2010, 03:44 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If the shore power cord is unplugged do you have 12 vdc power in the coach? If not check the circuit breaker on the tongue of the trailer. If it is resettable, there will be a small button on one end that needs to be pushed in to reset.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:00 PM   #3

Suddenly, radio & LP detector don't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
If the shore power cord is unplugged do you have 12 vdc power in the coach? If not check the circuit breaker on the tongue of the trailer. If it is resettable, there will be a small button on one end that needs to be pushed in to reset.
DARN... it was such a good idea to check for that so I did when we were up there this past weekend. As it turns out there's no circuit breaker on the tongue. I flipped the inside breaker, and pulled the fuse & swaped with another fuse, but I can't get the radio or LP gas detector to turn on. It might be a coincidence that both stopped working at the same time... just frustrating since I have no electical skills... still searching for the answer.
thanks
Old 08-16-2010, 05:53 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Look for a fuse block,, The LP detector runs on 12 volts. I'm guessing the radio is also a 12 volt model.. Look for the radio fuse on the fuse block. That's my #1 suspect.

NOW, 12 volt radios these days often have two fuses.. one is Radio/ACC and the other is Radio/Batt. It's the Radio/Batt fuse you need to look at.

But in a trailer.. These may be combined into one (Since you technically do not have an "ACC" circuit)

NOTE.. This may be an "inline" fuse burried somewhere

NOTE also.. There may indeed be a "Radio Batt" this would be a 2nd wire that comes off the battery AHEAD of any disconnect device... and it would likely be an inline fuse

Make sure the wire is still connected too.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:45 AM   #5

While most of my fuses are in my fuse block inside, I have one inline fuse right off the battery outside that is for my LP detector. Any chance you have something similar that may also affect the radio? Mine is covered in a little black rubber boot inside the battery compartment.

Does everything else 12 volt work?

Good Luck!
Old 08-25-2010, 10:36 PM   #6

Thanks for additional things for me to check out. I'll be at the trailer in the mountains this weekend so I'll check into the suggestions from you all. Of course I have the main fuse box (also has circuit breakers in it) and I found an inline fuse just outside the radio box (looks fine) but I don't seem to have anything near the outside battery box... but I'm going to check again. Thanks again... we'll see what I find! Don