Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #1

Suggestions appreciated for good 4 season RVs

My wife and I are seriously considering becoming full-time rv'ers. We have the tow vehicle (could pull our house) and now "all" we have left to do is buy an RV that will keep us cool in the summers and warm in the chilly Oregon winter mornings.

Can anyone share their experiences with "4 season" rv's (enclosed tanks, good insulation, etc..)? We are looking to buy new or a slightly used RV (2010 or 11). Does anyone have any recommendations as far as top three manufactures and/or models to consider? Once we have a good sense for the better built RVs, then we'll be able to narrow down to floor plans, etc.. Thanks all
Oregonbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2013, 09:32 PM   #2

You're in Ory-gun. Start with Northwood Mfg in Legrand. The Arctic Fox and Nash lines are well worth considering.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #3

A lot depends upon which part of Oregon you are in. East of the Cascades it's dry and hot in the summer, and cold and snowy in the winter. West of the Cascades it's wetter and much, much milder. A little bit of snow 2 or 3 days a year, 100 degree temperatures are about as frequent.

Check the average temperatures for Bend and Eugene and you'll see what I mean.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:55 PM   #4

Dutchman makes their top of the line trailer Denali. I would put this trailer on my list to at least check out. They offer a insulation package that 'they' claim is very good.

Also agree with Artic Fox by Northwood.

Excel which builds real good quality trailers would be another.

I believe these 3 trailers offer dual pane windows as an option.

Note that most trailers are 3 season even with their insulation package.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:22 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If you are buying used consider a Corsair/Citation built in B.C. Canada they are well built and come with a polar pak option for cold climates. We have owned several trailers and found this to be the best cold climate unit we could find. Unfortunately the plant burnt down a couple of years ago and the did not rebuilt it. However there are many used units around because it was one of the top selling units in western Canada.
Matchayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:37 PM   #6

Check out the Denali and the Arctic Fox, I think you will see a difference between the two. If you want an all season decked out full time TT (you said your truck could pull your house) look at the Excel Winslow TT. It is very pricey and big, but it is an Excel.
1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:39 AM   #7

Pm me if interested in a artic fox silver fox 30U like new I don't have a truck to pull it
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #8

The Winslow trailer by Excel was featured in the Nov 2010 Trailer Life magazine. This is the TT that I would pick to live in year round. It has storage under half the trailer with 1 step into the bedroom. It also has 4 slides. Trailer Life used a Ram 3500 SRW diesel to tow this 34 foot trailer. They said this truck was great for towing this trailer.

So maybe you can find a used 2011 Excel Winslow TT.

Good luck
Old 02-14-2013, 06:44 AM   #9

X2 on Artic Fox. Also important for hot areas as well as cold.
JohnWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:56 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Excel all the way. They warrenty their coaches for full time use. Many do not, so double check for a full time use warrenty. This is differnet from a four season warrenty.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #11

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone for your input...much appreciated. For some reason I wasn't getting email alerts.

The Excel line of trailers was not even on our radar so will be checking into those as well as the Denali.

We looked at several Arctic Fox trailers online last night. They look well built but may not be big enough for our needs.

Again, thanks. Please keep the suggestions coming
Old 02-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #12

Do you have the model#? thanks.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #13

The model number of the Excel Winslow trailer was the 33RLE.

It has opposing slides in the living area with 7' 6" ceiling hight. Then in the bedroom 6' 4" ceiling hight. In the bedroom the bed slides out plus the dresser area which is a very small slide.

Tags
rvs