RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2018, 10:14 PM   #1

Suggestions for a newb

Hi everyone! My family and I are discussing getting a TT. I have a 6yr old and almost 3yr old. Currently looking st BH types for them.

Tow vehicle is a 2018 jeep Cherokee limited 4x4, with tow package (4k i think capacity).

My youngest has some health issues so trying to keep cost down but comfort and reliability up. Tub base in bathroom would be desired.

Any ideas or should we look at other options?

Ncsu1stbasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2018, 10:31 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

What can I tow ?
Is perhaps the most asked question here in the forums.

First you have to KNOW what equipment you have, so dig into the Jeep owners manual and look closely at the door frame for any stickers regarding tow rating and axle capacities.
Then with your family on board, loaded for travel , take the vehicle with a full tank of fuel over the scales at a truck stop , to see exactly what your vehicle weighs in at , both axles and total.
Remember that every pound ; over the weight of a 150 lb. driver : that is in the Jeep , has to be deducted from the max tow weight rating.
JMHO: If 4000 lbs is your tow weight rating , I'm thinking a pop up tent trailer may be your limit.
Some reading at this link may help.
Tow Vehicle Sizing & Weight Calculators

Old 05-20-2018, 12:33 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
The Jeep website states 2k towing on the Cherokee Limited no matter what motor is installed.
https://www.jeep.com/jeep-capabilities/towing.html
That's not much of a trailer. Check out ultralite popup tent campers.
You may hear people say "I have been hauling a 20" trailer for years with one" remember your warranty is null and void if you over tax your vehicle and it dies.
What ever you do, be safe.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:40 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Also,
http://webcontent.goodsam.com/traile...wGuide2018.pdf
Old 05-20-2018, 01:30 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justjack2k View Post
You may hear people say "I have been hauling a 20" trailer for years with one" remember your warranty is null and void if you over tax your vehicle and it dies.
What ever you do, be safe.
And you could pull quite a bit of trailer with your Jeep, pull a wheeled load is not that hard once it's moving. The important question is can you control and stop it. Dealers will tell you that your truck, car, jeep can haul anything on the lot, don't listen to them, their only concern is closing the sale. Look for a bigger tow vehicle or a smaller trailer. Have fun and be safe.
sdennislee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:35 AM   #6

Agree, a pop-up would be great for the kids and a pop-up is a great place to start. They fold down so there is very little wind resistance when towing. That is huge, you do not hear a lot of people complain about trailer sway when towing a pop-up.

Another type of trailer that might work is an A-Liner 'A' frame type. I know A-Liner is one and Rockwood builds one also.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:09 AM   #7

Thanks everyone for the information. I dug abit and got the official tow weight with my package being 4500 lbs. i have def see where other people taught what they tow and if much more than what they should. We dont want to fit i to that category.

I will take a look at the A-liner, had not heard of those before.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:41 PM   #8

Here is the Rockwood which I think is better than an A-Liner. Same type of trailer. The huge advantage is these fold down when towing so you get very little wind resistance. Not sure if they have two sleeping areas or not.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180520-143844.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	203524
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:46 PM   #9

Suggestions for a newb

At the beginning of the Trailer Towing forum here, there is a “stickies” post that has a number of towing calculators there for you to download and play with. I suggest you do that. You will find lots of terms like: GVWR, GAWR, GVW, cargo capacity, payload capacity, and the list goes on. Educate yourself. Long story short, 1-you cannot exceed the GCWR of your tow vehicle including the loaded weight of both vehicle and trailer, 2-you cannot exceed the GVWR of your tow vehicle including all payloads (including trailer hitch weight), and 3-you cannot exceed the rear axle GAWR of your tow vehicle including all payloads. Even if you make it past those three trials, you also have to consider the wind area of the trailer and how strong or anemic is your engine. Also, one must consider if the tow vehicle has enough wheelbase to make for a stable and comfortable towing experience and not “white knuckle”. Finally, leave yourself some margin. You have your family on board and you want to have fun camping. Flat land towing is one thing, but being at your towing weight limits and going up and down 6% grades or more in mountains in just plain not smart. There is a lot to consider and many variables that it is not an easy question to answer definitively. Do your own due diligence and lots of research. Read lots of posts in the Towing forum and educate yourself. I did the same thing with my ‘06 Ford Explorer with 5,250 lb towing capacity and family of four and came to the conclusion that the most TT that I should shop for is about 3,000-3,500 lbs “dry” weight and about 4,000 lbs loaded or gross weight, which was limited by my rear axle weight. This is the smallest and lightest of travel trailers. With your 4,500 lb limit and short wheelbase tow vehicle, I think you are solidly in pop-up territory at most or a small and aerodynanic “pod” type trailer.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Flyer View Post
At the beginning of the Trailer Towing forum here, there is a “stickies” post that has a number of towing calculators there for you to download and play with. I suggest you do that. You will find lots of terms like: GVWR, GAWR, GVW, cargo capacity, payload capacity, and the list goes on. Educate yourself. Long story short, 1-you cannot exceed the GCWR of your tow vehicle including the loaded weight of both vehicle and trailer, 2-you cannot exceed the GVWR of your tow vehicle including all payloads (including trailer hitch weight), and 3-you cannot exceed the rear axle GAWR of your tow vehicle including all payloads. Even if you make it past those three trials, you also have to consider the wind area of the trailer and how strong or anemic is your engine. Also, one must consider if the tow vehicle has enough wheelbase to make for a stable and comfortable towing experience and not “white knuckle”. Finally, leave yourself some margin. You have your family on board and you want to have fun camping. Flat land towing is one thing, but being at your towing weight limits and going up and down 6% grades or more in mountains in just plain not smart. There is a lot to consider and many variables that it is not an easy question to answer definitively. Do your own due diligence and lots of research. Read lots of posts in the Towing forum and educate yourself. I did the same thing with my ‘06 Ford Explorer with 5,250 lb towing capacity and family of four and came to the conclusion that the most TT that I should shop for is about 3,000-3,500 lbs “dry” weight and about 4,000 lbs loaded or gross weight, which was limited by my rear axle weight. This is the smallest and lightest of travel trailers. With your 4,500 lb limit and short wheelbase tow vehicle, I think you are solidly in pop-up territory at most or a small and aerodynanic “pod” type trailer.
Wow, thank you for the wealth of knowledge. Looks like I have a lot more research ahead. Thanks again everyone! Very much appreciate it!
Old 05-21-2018, 07:11 PM   #11

Still reading about all the calculations but figured I would keep a running tally here.

Combined occupant and cargo is 1000
GVWR 5500 lbs
GAWR Front: 2805 lbs
GAWR RearL 2805 lbs
Old 05-21-2018, 09:03 PM   #12

Suggestions for a newb

Car and Driver did an instrumented test of a 2017 Cherokee Overland 4x4 and their vehicle weighed 2,510 lbs in front and 1,822 lbs at the rear for a total of 4,332 lbs. This would leave 1,168 lbs available total payload (compare with your yellow sticker on your driver’s door jamb), and a healthy 983 lbs rear capacity. Still, it is best if you actually weigh your vehicle with a full tank of gas, all occupants, and all gear that you would be taking on a camping trip at your local truck stop CAT scale.

Not sure if you are totally sold on the Jeep, but one midsize SUV that I am really impressed with is the new GMC Acadia. Longer wheelbase, reasonable and more realistic 4,000 lb tow capacity, and really impressive 1,700 lb payload capacity. GMCs and higher line Chevys have always been well thought out for towing in my personal experience. With that payload capacity, I think this vehicle could tow a TT of a weight that actually matches it’s tow rating, which is rare among SUVs.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:43 PM   #13

Experience with 2017 Jeep Cherokee TV

I bought a JC Trailhawk V6 (tow capacity 4500 lbs) intending to use it as a toad behind a Class C or A for our family (self, wife, 12yr old son).

One thing led to another and we started looking at TTs with bunks. Thought I could make a small bunk TT work, so we bought a 239ML (dry ~4000). Figured I could tow it dry and lightly loaded.

All in all, I would not recommend it. We did take it through 13 states in 12 days (2300 miles) last summer, but it was grueling and painful. For starters, the 8.5 mpg you will get with a 15 gal gas tank means fill-ups at truck stops every 85-100 miles. We couldn't leave one fuel stop without plotting our next stop <100 miles away using iExit Truck app on iPhone. We would have been overweight if we added bicycles. The sphincter factor was pretty high driving in heavy traffic or bad weather.

Feel free to PM me if you want, but let me say that I agree with the fine folks here that you may be much better served with a popup, hybrid or a-frame. We're doing things differently this year (new TV for starters), but that might not work for you.

All that said, we learned a lot and had a great time being out together as a family. You won't regret spending time with your family on adventures in an RV!

Warmest wishes!

DarylW is offline   Reply With Quote