Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2014, 09:16 PM   #1

Suggestions for living in travel trailer

I"m thinking about purchasing a TT to living in for a few years. I've been look for a while but can't decide which brand would be the best and which one I could stay warm in the winter and afford too. $15,000-$20,000 range and 20-25ft. Nothing too big and no more than 1 slide. I hope to be able to save some money and also learn some of the ins and outs before retirement. Trying to avoid costly mistakes. Thanks for any suggestions. Probably hear this a lot.
0351doreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2014, 11:40 PM   #2

I don't know how many people will use this in addition to you but for just a couple a 20-25 footer would be nice. Larger is better to some people but then you need a larger tow vehicle and you have more issues with the overall length of the truck and trailer.
My wife and I have a Nash 22H trailer and we love it. It is one of the more popular designs available. It works well for our needs and has a ton of storage and the trailer is 4 season rated.
The one thing you do not want is a brand that trades flash for quality. Flash will fade quickly but quality will last. Look at Northwood Industries which makes Nash and Arctic Fox and maybe Airstream if you want to blow a lot of dough. It's fun to look!
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:41 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
When you say "stay warm in the winter" in what type of climate do you plan to spend winters? That Nash sure looked a step above for longer use stays.

Were on our 2nd Aerolite trailer. We have camped where the overnight temps were in the low 20's or the highs in the mid 30's. But I would never expect to be able to live in it if it stayed below freezing for more than a few days. You have to start thinking about heated tanks, arctic packages, and higher "R" values in the walls. Some brands offer that.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:44 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Like noted, where will you spend winter? Your price range will not get much into a 4-season trailer, so you need to be looking at used and look for an Arctic Fox. These are better built for freezing weather.

Long term winter living can really be rough in an RV that is not designed for the conditions.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:00 AM   #5

Our holiday travels took us to West Texas this past December. We experienced multiple nights below freezing (a few nights in the teens) and some days just above freezing. Just a note, I have a sealed underbelly but it is not winter ready (but the dealer said if we run the furnace then the pipes/tanks will not freeze)

The single pane windows had icicles' running down them on the outside from the condensation--Dual pane windows would fix this (ie, 4 season rig). no issues but you have to manage the interior moisture by venting the air periodically.

Fresh water: we filled the fresh water tank and disconnected the hose to prevent it from freezing. (We got stuck one time when the hose bib froze and we had no water) A heated water hose would fix this but you would have to protect the hose bib as well. No issues if you prepare.

Black tank: No issues

Gray tank: this valve is exposed and froze. I could not open it. Since were leaving, we used a blow dryer on it for 15 min (it was 15 deg that morning). Not too big a deal but I wasn't expecting it.

The furnace did run although we kept the temp in the high 60's. We use a portable electric oil filled radiator-style heater ($30 at walmart) and our rig was very comfortable even back in the bunkhouse. Similar to this Sears.com

That said if you have either sealed underbelly or heated tanks you should be ok, but you HAVE to keep that stuff running if you are in the rig or not. Or you could just dry camp...
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:27 PM   #6

Another vote for Arctic Fox even if you have to buy used. For year round living, you want top grade construction, insulation and a unit that will hold up over time. The majority of TTs on the market are not designed for that type of use.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:31 PM   #7

One of the Northwood products like Artic Fox or Nash are best. I think , but am not certain, that Lance might make a 4 season TT. I have none of the above units, this is just what I have heard.
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Be careful of what they mean by "four season". This designation does not always mean built or designed for "full time" living. It typically means that it can be "used" in any season and may have simple freeze protection for tanks and if lucky this includes dump valves and plumbing. This does not mean a four season trailer is insulated well for retention of heat and cooling. Many of these trailers are difficult to heat and cool and will have condensation issues and ice on the inside of the windows in the winter. This was my experience with a four season trailer in the past. Turns out all it had was 12volt heating pads on the tanks! Good luck
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel trailer, travel