Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Or you can do like me and only stay where there's a restaurant near by
It always tastes better when someone else cooks it.

I have so many dishes, pots & pan, etc. That I've never used!!

Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #16

It depends on what you like to do & how you like to eat. I know some folks who only cook over a fire while camping, I know some who only eat hot dogs & brats while camping. I know others, who like me , still enjoy cooking sometimes.
I don't have everything in my camper that I have at home. I plan our meals to some extent , so of i need a certain tool or pan from my home kitchen, I bring it with that weekend. Same with some seasonings etc.
We are going on our first camping weekend of the year next weekend in our new to us camper. On Saturday night I'll make Cajun grilled steak burgers, do for example, I'll need Cajun seasoning, & the slicer, I'll bring those from jome

Old 03-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #17

I keep a small stash of paper plates and plastic utensils, but use the plastic plates and real utensils most of the time. The trailer has it's own pots and pans ( cheap set from walmart) plus my cast iron pots!! I have a small 4cup coffee maker, smoothie blender, and a toaster. (actually 2 toasters...the camp style you place on the camp stove, and a two slice electric one). I keep my most used spices in the camper as well as coffee, sugar, flour..in sealed containers. Hope you enjoy your new trailer!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #18

Being a scoutmaster for our boy scout troop....I have come accustom to dutch oven cooking. If you don't know what that is its a cast iron pot with 3or 4 small legs and a cover that has a lip around the top of it about an inch high...the purpose is to put about 8-10 peices of hot charcoal under it and about 16-18 on the lid....this creates about 350deg inside.
I made coca cola chicken in it this weekend....I usually plan a big dinnet based on what I can make in it which is basically anything including cakes and desserts... all on coals....
Look up dutch oven cooking....mine is a 12" lodge...
Cleaning is easy....heat up a bit of hot water in it...scrap any food and use a copper steel wool....NO SOAP....then rinse and dry...then spray pam oil in it ...heat it up and wipe it down...talk about non stick...when
you get good at it you will use cast iron much more....most of my cooking camping and at home is on cast iron....

Jim
Old 03-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #19

We pack more than most because we usually are the ones cooking when we have a large group of our friends camping with us since most of them tent camp.

We have 6 plastic plates and 4 enamel covered steel plates I've had for 30 years.

We use real silverware.

We have 1 12" cast iron skillet, 2 small Coleman Teflon skillets with folding handles, 1-1 gallon pot and 1-2 qt pot, 1-3 qt crockpot and 1-3 qt enamel covered cast iron dutch oven.

About 6 insulated 16oz cups for hot or cold beverages, 6 nice thick ceramic coffee cups.

1-2 burner Coleman propane stove and a Weber Q100 grill.

Don't think we've ever used the indoor stove in any camper we have had other than to make a pot of coffee when it was too cold to go outside and fire up the Coleman.

We also are huge fans of the collapsible tubs and strainer at camping world. Real space savers.

My most important tool? One of those fold down mandolin slicers for doing potato, tomatoes, peppers and onions. That thing makes quick work out of whatever I throw at it and saves me the crying for the onions.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #20

Don't forget the usefulness of a good Swiss army knife or Leatherman.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #21

Thank you all so much, this should be a sticky somewhere. I'll post back what we end up with here in the next month. I'm sure whatever we start with will evolve, but this info has given me some great ideas.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:51 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
ChiefGeek... thanks for bringing this up... I've made word docs of stuff I find here for stocking the camper. I keep them in my camper notebook of info I am collecting. I'm also a newbie.

I weighed the Corelle plate I have and my white spattered blue enamelware covered plate and they weighed the same. Not sure I want to drink coffee out of the enamelware cups as they get hot, but they are lighter weight than ceramic cups....I have blue enamelware I have collected over the years and I have Corelle ware.
Any pros or cons between those 2 items? (from the experienced RVing community?)
I know 1 enamel con...
I can't microwave the enamelware.
I know 1 enamel pro...
I can use a plate/cup on the gas stove in a pinch.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #23

I'm actually curious how to store breakable kitchenware when towing. Such as mugs, glass and plastic glasses, dishes, etc.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:10 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Do a search and I think you will find a few answers to some of your questions whether you have thought of them yet or not...LOL!
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:24 PM   #25

Like the rest - I mirror my home kitchen on a somewhat smaller scale. Find myself picking up more "stuff" everytime we go. We also have enjoyed our Nuwave Infrared Oven - doesn't take up much space and is an nice addition to the convection/microwave. I also leave my MH stocked. My husband says - a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk and we are ready to go. Happy RVing
Old 03-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #26
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Cooking in an RV is not fun. Plan to cook outside as much as possible or make ahead at home and freeze your family's favorite one dish meals. Freeze meals in gallon size ziplock bags laid flat. They take up less room in the freezer and thaw faster than a block of food. Also, you won't need to carry as much if you cook at home and microwave or reheat.
okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #27

Spices: Chef Prudhomne. Chicken flavor, Greek seasoning. I use these on most all of our grilled meats.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:29 PM   #28
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
RV Gourmet - iRV2 Forums

This forum is most helpful if you want to cook.

okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote