Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #29

Not really looking for recipes just yet, but thanks for the link! Great ideas on storage though.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
I went to the Camping World website and ordered some tension poles for keeping chaos at a minimum in the cabinet... at least to get started, I would like to make all my cabinets have an adjustable shelf in them to better utilize the space, just have to figure out how to do that. Won't happen right away.

MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:47 PM   #31

We found out that Ants were a problem, I just learned that if you put Comet Cleanser around your wheels, Jacks, landing gear,( anything that contacts the ground, The Critters will go someplace else. and leave you alone. Has worked for us so far...
Old 04-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
Pie irons and dutch oven (Both cast iron)
Old 04-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Along with the food and utensils I would suggest you purchase several rolls of septic tank safe toilet paper and a box of rubber gloves for the times when you need to dump the holding tanks. If you have not already bought some chemicals for the holding tank you mite want to consider those items. We have a patio mat, door mat, and one of those shoe thingies for brushing the dirt off of the shoes too. It helps keep some of the dirt and stuff out of the unit.

Good luck and congratulations on your new purchase.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #34

I love to cook and bake, and it's no different when we're camping. We use cast iron extensively. Dutch ovens, skillets, grill pan, etc. We also have a nice set of Emeril stainless-steel cookware. I use the stove & oven in the camper and the stove in our outside kitchen, the camp fire, the grill, etc. Why pay all the money for the conveniences and not use them? Half the fun of camping for us is coming up with creative and delicious meals. Our maiden voyage for the season is this coming weekend. I've been busy for the past several weeks getting my inventory together. 've used my food dehydrater to dry mushrooms, onions and potatoes. They take up much less space and they are shelf stable, so I don't have to worry about them spoiling. And if you've ever looked at dried mushrooms in the grocery store, you have to know that drying your own is MUCH less expensive. Same with hash browns and onions. And I know exactly what is in them and how they've been prepared. bottom line is this - whatever you use in your home you should have in your camper. I find having a supply of aluminum foil pans saves on clean up and you can get them really cheap at Sam's Club or Costco. Above all - have fun!!!
Trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #35

It seems like you have a ton of good info, so I will add what you do not want to bring.

Watch Lucille Ball in the long long trailer......should sum it up.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #36

My kids. Would be a lot more relaxing without them. Probably a lot less fun though as well.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:17 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGeek View Post
Great ideas, thanks everyone. Any other ideas for a first timer bring it on!
Our latest additions are a slow-cooker, ice-maker and a toaster oven. But we spend 3 months of the winter in our RV. This summer we'll be at Poole Knobs in LaVergne for 2 weeks of R&R.

I like the grill but we tire of grilling everything. As time passes we remove stuff we find we don't use and add stuff that we do.

You may also find, like us, that a First-Up or screen room or both come in handy.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #38

We stop at Salvation Army thrift stores, add to whatever we forgot to bring. Purchased a crock pot for $5.00 We can leave it outside cooking while we are touring.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #39

We sometimes dry camp and other times use full hookups, so what works best for us is we have a large tote that holds our toaster, crockpot, electric fry pan, small electric fan (for white noise), etc. If we are camping at a CG with hookups we take the tote. If we decide to dry camp we just leave this tote home and thus do not need to store or carry those unusable items. Also, at the beginning of camping season I purchase items such as spices, coffee, sugar, and any canned items we might use on a regular basis and just keep them in the trailer all summer. I take inventory each trip and just replace as needed. The first trip gets a bit pricey but after that it really doesn't seem to cost much at all.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeM1
We sometimes dry camp and other times use full hookups, so what works best for us is we have a large tote that holds our toaster, crockpot, electric fry pan, small electric fan (for white noise), etc. If we are camping at a CG with hookups we take the tote. If we decide to dry camp we just leave this tote home and thus do not need to store or carry those unusable items. Also, at the beginning of camping season I purchase items such as spices, coffee, sugar, and any canned items we might use on a regular basis and just keep them in the trailer all summer. I take inventory each trip and just replace as needed. The first trip gets a bit pricey but after that it really doesn't seem to cost much at all.
Agreed. We leave it fully stocked all season. But we leave all of our electrical items in our TT. Otherwise we run the risk of forgetting something.
Trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #41

Texas Boomers Club
all of the above....and don't forget marshmallows/graham crackers and chocolate for s'mores!!!! HAVE FUN!

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:32 PM   #42

Thanks again everyone for such great info!