Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2016, 02:00 AM   #1

Suggestions welcome for generator/newbie camper

Hello everyone my name is Brittany. I am new to forum and new to campers! I just bought a keystone Bullet 308BHS. I am hauling it with a 2007 dodge Ram 1500, 5.7L CC. But I am also shopping for a nice quality/hopefully quiet generator. I really don't know where to start, the dealer suggested at least a 4K watt.. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful! Thank you!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2016, 05:39 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilleybl12 View Post
Hello everyone my name is Brittany. I am new to forum and new to campers! I just bought a keystone Bullet 308BHS. I am hauling it with a 2007 dodge Ram 1500, 5.7L CC. But I am also shopping for a nice quality/hopefully quiet generator. I really don't know where to start, the dealer suggested at least a 4K watt.. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful! Thank you!!

If quiet is your goal your best bet is an inverter generator. If the inverter style is out of your price range Honda or Yamaha would be the quietest (also pricey). I personally have a Champion 3500 watt and its plenty of generator for my needs. Runs like a champ but its far from quiet.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:10 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
A quieter generator can be had, but you'll pay for it if you can't find them used.

If you plan to leave it in the back of your pickup, get a 4K gennie by Honda, Yamaha, etc., and chain it in the back of your pickup and lock it up for security. It can stay there almost forever if need be.

If you want to be able to have a chance at lifting it, you can forget about getting a 4K gennie, and get two 2K gennies that can be tied together for the max 4K output. These are made mainly by Honda and Yamaha.

I have two Honda 2K gennies that can be tied together and I can run the air conditioning in my smaller travel trailer with ease with both of them, but also have the flexibility to only run one if I don't need that much power. When they are near full roar for the air conditioning, they make a fair bit of noise, but they are quieter than the open frame types that are cheaper because they have nothing built on them to reduce noise and sound like little farm tractors running near top speed to me.

There are extended run fuel tanks and kits available for bot the Honda and Yamaha gennies, but the Honda is easier to deal with as it has it's own fuel pump. I bought an extended run kit from the dealer when I bought the gennies. It's made by IPI Industries. It requires a very minor amount of putting a couple things together, and works great. I can also refill the remote gas tank without needing to shut off the gennies for safety.

Never refill the gennie itself while it's running, it's a dangerous fire hazard. As in "OMG I'm on fire!"

The cheaper open frame non-inverter type gennies are loud, and will probably drive you nuts with how noisy they are unless you have some pretty serious hearing problems already. I can easily hear them from almost one hundred yards away, and the sound is harsh and obnoxious. But they are popular because they don't cost as much as the quieter gennies, sometimes only half as much. When you hear them running, it becomes immediately obvious why they cost much less.

Thank you in advance for trying to be a good neighbor by considering a quiet gennie first. It makes a big difference in the campground or out in the wilder places. You'll always appreciate being able to have relatively quiet power ready to go when you need it, just like I do.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:44 PM   #4

I recently bought a WEN inverter/generator, rumored to have a Suzuki engine, only a touch louder than the Honday and literally 1/3 the price.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:19 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tough to beat a Champion. The 3100w is on my "next purchase" list. Looking at noise testing it just as quiet as a honda and much cheaper.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:38 PM   #6

At least a 3K with remote start. I'd set it up in the pickup bed so I didn't have to lift it in and out.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:03 PM   #7

I can run my AC (13,500 btu) with one 2,000 watt Honda. But that's the exception. Normally it would take 3,000 watts. Most people vote for the Hondas. Also, I can load and unload my 2,000 watt unit myself. There are times that I can not leave my truck close to the camper. Like others I appreciate your interest in being a good neighbor and looking for a quite unit. No one wants to hear someone running a loud generator in the otherwise peaceful campground.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:10 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbreaker View Post
Tough to beat a Champion. The 3100w is on my "next purchase" list. Looking at noise testing it just as quiet as a honda and much cheaper.
How did they test the Champion to see if it is as noisy as the Honda?
Old 06-30-2016, 08:59 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Check out NorthernTool.com, they have several different brands and types of generators!
Oldelevatorman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:26 PM   #10

That's a pretty nice trailer you've bought...and a large one and no doubt one that will require close to what has been suggested. I might point out to the importance of the unit being "quite". Many state parks and all national parks have limits as to when you can use your generator. These may be during the daytime hours only in state parks or national forest campgrounds. In others they set the hourly time i.e. 8 to 10 AM, 12 to 2 and 5 to 7pm. Times may vary to some extent. But one thing they definitely point out is that it must be operating at a certain decibel level that is measured at a certain distance from the actual unit when it is running.

This requirement may be null and void for you if you don't intend to use the types of parks mentioned. Either way...as others have pointed....it's good your trying to be a "good neighbor"....it will certainly make a difference how your "camping neighbors" feel about you being close by.

In the long run you really need to invest in an "inverter" type generator in that the quality of the power coming from the unit is going be "clean" as in the same quality you get from you electric company at home. This is especially important for the "sensitive electronics" that you have in your new trailer.

Good luck with your choice....have a great time in your new trailer.

One final thought....if you "do intend" to use state/national parks...be sure and plan ahead regarding getting a spot that will permit you to park your trailer....especially with the number of "slides" that yours has. On a recent trip to Yellowstone the gal who was at the registration window told me it was her 3rd trip to the window as all the spaces that they offered her would not accommodate her trailer when the slides were extended.

Tags
newbie, generator