Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2017, 12:45 PM   #1

Summer, 32' Bunkhouse & AC concerns

We're narrowing in on our first TT - it will be a 32' bunkhouse (separate), outdoor kitchen floor plan between several mfrs we're looking at (Heartland Mallard, Jayco, Coachmen, Forest River). One thing I'm told I should not settle on, is 50 amp service, with pre-wiring for a second AC unit (if not second AC unit on the coach, which is rare at the price point I'm looking at).

My concern is the coach's ability to stay cool during the daytime, and just get to temperature once we hook up at a campground in the summer. We live in FL (although its hot everywhere in the summer).

I've heard everything from that you must have 50 amp, and a 15K unit vs. 13.5, to MUST have 2 units, to some stating that they can't get their coach below 85 degrees during the day, then it freezes at night. I'm curious on some opinions. And, how much do the different manufacturers building techniques really contribute to insulating the coach (I've heard there is only so much you can do in an RV).

Any feedback here is appreciated. Should I insist on 50amp, 2 units? How much does the particular coach brand play into the equation in the ultra-light TT segment? Thanks in advance!
54Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2017, 12:59 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
When we camp in "hot" areas, we make sure we have a shady site like in Myrtle Beach. Even with our 26' hybrid, when we do have a site in "full sun" and it's in the upper 80's / 90's. the AC does stay on all the time, but I never felt I was uncomfortable taking a nap during the day. We only have 13.5 btu AC unit. So with the bunk ends opened up we are the size of a 32' tt. Now Florida can be a whole hotter animal.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
When we camp in "hot" areas, we make sure we have a shady site like in Myrtle Beach. Even with our 26' hybrid, when we do have a site in "full sun" and it's in the upper 80's / 90's. the AC does stay on all the time, but I never felt I was uncomfortable taking a nap during the day. We only have 13.5 btu AC unit. So with the bunk ends opened up we are the size of a 32' tt. Now Florida can be a whole hotter animal.

Yes it can. Good point on the shade vs full sun exposure.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:02 AM   #4

Depends a lot on the climate where you will spend the most of your time.

If you're in the south you want 50A and two A/C's.

That's a non negotiable item on our next unit.

After a labor day weekend of 105 degrees and no shade on our 30 ft camper w/slide, we were seeing it hit 92 degrees inside by late afternoon and hours after that to get back down to temperature before bedtime. I just finished doing a complete install of a second unit in mine and it wasn't 50A or prewired. Do yourself a solid and get it right from the factory.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:06 AM   #5

Thanks. That's what my gut is telling me. If it's already pre-wired- is the second unit pretty much a DIY drop-in? Also- are two 13.5's enough...or should they be 15K's?
Old 03-28-2017, 05:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Fun View Post
Thanks. That's what my gut is telling me. If it's already pre-wired- is the second unit pretty much a DIY drop-in? Also- are two 13.5's enough...or should they be 15K's?
Get the 50amp and the two 15kw AC units.. they work easer and will cool you down faster.

You don't have to run both units,but when it's HOT and humid you will be thankful you have both.

Just my TCW

WWR
wwron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwron View Post
Get the 50amp and the two 15kw AC units.. they work easer and will cool you down faster.

You don't have to run both units,but when it's HOT and humid you will be thankful you have both.

Just my TCW

WWR
So the unit states in the specs: "Dual ducted A/C w/ arched ceiling" - what does this mean? (a 2nd unit is not standard). I'm not certain of why they use the word "dual"...would this suggest that if a second unit was added, that it would tie in to the existing ducting throughout the unit and BOTH units would feed into those ducts (as opposed to the 2nd blowing locally at the point of where the unit was installed - in this case, the bunkhouse skylight)?
Old 03-30-2017, 06:20 AM   #8

Summer, 32' Bunkhouse & AC concerns

Agree on your dual assessment. Also would imply both units controlled by the thermostat. This what we have been seeing as we look for our next trailer. Although I have only seen 15k and 13k paired. Not dual 15's.

We have a 35' 2 slide separate bunkhouse w/outdoor kitchen. 1x 15k, 30a. Live in Texas near 100 dog and high humidity. We camp a lot in the summer. It gets to upper 80's, runs nonstop during the day in direct sun. It works fine for us and dogs. We are on the water boating during the day.

If we get a new trailer in this size range again it will have 50a (solves the year round popping breakers) and a dual Ac.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:00 PM   #9

We have a 32 ft with a 15000btu ac and it runs a lot during the day but I'm on a 30 amp cord so 2 ac,s are out of the question. I'm thinking about tinting my windows but don't know if it's worth the cost?
lcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcboy View Post
... but I'm on a 30 amp cord so 2 ac,s are out of the question...

No, It's totally doable, because I just did it. You just have to think outside the box on where to get power for it.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:18 AM   #11

I bought my previous 36' 5th wheel toy hauler in TX with one 15k ducted. Not enough cooling capacity above 90 degrees. I added the second ac it was prewired for and it was much better. Then we moved to NJ and I only needed the second ac a couple times in 8 years.

Between TX and NJ I bought window tint from Walmart and tinted all the windows, it was a great improvement.

The other nice thing about the 2nd ac is it cools down much faster when you stop for the day. My 5er had a on board generator, about an hour from our destination I would start the generator and ac so it would be cool inside once we arrived at our destination.

Moral of my story, if your personal thermostat runs on the hot side get the second ac.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:45 PM   #12

I live in Phoenix, AZ so I can tell you how hot hell is. I have a Jayco 32BHDS with one 15k AC/30amp. I have no problem getting our trailer cool in the summer, but it takes a long time. Once we get cool, it stays on all day. I would say you can get it cool, but if you have the option/cash, get the 50 amp with dual AC ducted. Just remember, you will have to get 50 amp service at campsites or a really big generator if you want to run both AC's.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:09 PM   #13

Thanks all for the feedback and wisdom. I'm sold on 2 units. I have the dealer pricing out the Heartland we like with 50amp, and 2x 15K AC's.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:32 PM   #14

If you're in the full sun and opening the door a bunch, even 2 units may not be able to keep you cool if you don't have decent insulation. Even better than 2 units is finding a place in the shade.

If there is any price difference at all and you're set on 2 units, then getting a 15 and a 13.5 would be fine I'm sure. There's not much difference in 28.5 kw and 30 kw. But I still say that finding a shady location matters much more than how much cooling capacity you have. But if you know you're going to be camping in places with wide open heat, then I don't blame you one bit for getting 2 units.
patriot07 is offline   Reply With Quote