Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2015, 07:58 AM   #1

Summer Storage

For 5 months this summer I'll be storing my 2015 Attitude toyhauler outside in the Moapa Valley north of Las Vegas where the temperatures will routinely be over 100 degrees.

Are there any "must do's" I should do before departing for cooler climes? I assume I should leave some water in the (cleaned out) black tank and the p-traps; and block as many rodent access points as I can find.

I'm afraid to leave a roof vent open because it might get ripped off in a wind storm. How else to vent the trapped hot air?

Also, I plan to leave my sewing machines in the rig. Will the extreme temperatures affect their oil and make it flow in areas it shouldn't?

Thanks to all respondants.
Vicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2015, 12:26 PM   #2

I would at least cover the top of it with a breathable cover or a compete cover of you can. The heat won't cause a problem with your sewing machine. My wife has a Bernina and no problems with the heat. I'm assuming it will be in a storage case.
Leaving at least one roof vent barely opened would be good along with one crank operated window also barely open, don't need much opening on either at all.
The camp hostd from the Thousand Trails in LV come up to Oregon from April to mid Sept. Too darn hot down there in the summer.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:39 PM   #3

I would crack all the roof vents, you don't need them up very far to let some of the heat out. If you just barely crack them so at an angle you can see light that would be enough and the wind storms will not rip them off. A cover would be nice, they had some good ones on sale at CW and they were reasonable. Don't leave any food(open or sealed) in it and you shouldn't have a problem with rodents ect.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 02:46 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you put vent covers over your vents, MaxxAir I Original Translucent White Roof Vent Cover - Maxxair 00-933066 - Vents - Camping World then you can leave them open all the time.

If you are plugged in, leave a box fan inside to circulate the air.

If you have anything on the walls held with adhesive like velcro or 3M, you can expect them to slide down or fall from the constant high interior temperatures.

Placing a cover on your coach will protect any decals and the plastic headlight lens from UV rays. Class A Motorhome RV Covers by Carver and ADCO Also remember to place covers over all the tires to protect the side walls from UV rays. Ultra Tyre Gard, Pair - Tire Diameter 27" to 29", Polar White - ADCO 3953 - Tire Covers - Camping World
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 05:37 PM   #5

I have heard people will leave 5 gallon buckets of water in their trailers here in AZ so it will keep some moisture in the wood. I would not leave any vents open as the wind storms are ridiculous in the desert sometimes - unless as others have said about having good vent covers (maxxair). Is your trailer fiberglass or tin? If possible, find a larger something to park next to so some of the sun is blocked. I have my new trailer facing east - large 5th wheel on one side, large class-A on the other and a large brick wall to the west. Helps some - I don't need wheel covers anymore.
Nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:27 PM   #6

Great ideas! I knew I could count on you wonderful people to help me. I just ordered a cover (on sale @CW) and think I will be able to leave the vents open a bit w/o worrying anout them getting ripped off. I'll make tire covers. The 5 gal bucket sounds good too.

Thanks to all!
Vicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:39 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There might be some covered RV storage out there and would be better than a cover.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:14 AM   #8

How much water do you leave in your rig, if you do, and how long does it last?
SrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:32 AM   #9

I don't, I have just read where people are doing that. If I remember, I think they were putting 4 five gallon buckets in and I want to say something in the water. I want to say bleach, but that doesn't sound right. Do some searches. I will see if I can find the posts.
[URL="http://forums.trailerlife.com/Index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24883050/print/true.cfm"]
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=23299
Nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage