Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2013, 06:41 AM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
Surge Protection - difference in these 2

Getting down to purchasing the last of my needed items before heading on my 6 month first RV Adventure. Have a 2006 30' travel trailer with the usual electronic equipment and certainly don't want anything fried by lightening or faulty hookups. This board has a lot on surge protection but, to be honest don't know what one is better than the other. So I turn to you............

Am looking at CW's 30 Portable Surge Guard 30A Hardwire Surge Guard - Technology Research Corp 34520-002 - Surge Protectors - Camping World

And Progressive's 30 Surge Protector SSP-30

With the huge difference in price I'm sure there is a big difference in what each provides.

In simple terms -- what is the difference.

Thanks

Patsy

YodaRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
Community Administrator

One just protects against a surge the other protects against low and high voltage as well. PI makes the other one ( EMS ) also. I prefer the EMS protection. It has saved me a few times in the first year I had it. I was out West in that horrible heat wave and voltages below 104 were common.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
In addition to what Cliff pointed out, the outstanding service and support provided by Progressive has to count for a bunch. If you have an issue, call and a tech will walk you through diagnosis. They then ship replacement parts and even 'hold your hand' through installation of the parts if needed, or you can ship the whole thing to them and they'll fix and return for free. Hard to beat and they should serve as an industry standard for any supplier.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:28 AM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
I don't want hardwired so I'm looking for a portable something. Did look on Progressive's website,they have EMS-PT30C for $310 and the SSP-30 for $89.

I guess I'm asking what is why makes the EMS PT30 the seemingly better product to order? What does it offer the SSP 30 does not?

Again.... thanks!

Patsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
In addition to what Cliff pointed out, the outstanding service and support provided by Progressive has to count for a bunch.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #5

The Progressive model EMS-PT30C also has a lifetime warranty.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Both are Progressive Industries products, they have lifetime warranties and service.

The SSP 30 is a pretty basic surge protector only. It does indicate if things aren't wired properly, but provides no protection from under/over voltage or cycle variations. It also doesn't have a delayed restart, so if power went out and came on again, it would try to start your A/C again while it could have dangerous high pressures after stopping suddenly. A/C don't like being restarted right away without a bit of a rest to even out pressures.

Many of these conditions can occur in campgrounds, especially in hot weather when many people are using lots of energy. You have a lot of electronics in your RV, going cheap now could cause expense later.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Thank you for answering in terms I can understand. Will order the more expensive protector today.

Again, Thanks!

Patsy

Quote:
Both are Progressive Industries products, they have lifetime warranties and service.

The SSP 30 is a pretty basic surge protector only. It does indicate if things aren't wired properly, but provides no protection from under/over voltage or cycle variations. It also doesn't have a delayed restart, so if power went out and came on again, it would try to start your A/C again while it could have dangerous high pressures after stopping suddenly. A/C don't like being restarted right away without a bit of a rest to even out pressures.

Many of these conditions can occur in campgrounds, especially in hot weather when many people are using lots of energy. You have a lot of electronics in your RV, going cheap now could cause expense later.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #8

surge protector

get the good Progressive model as it will not allow power to the unit until all is well in the power box. Example: if a ground is broken it will show on the screen as an error and indicate what the error is and won't send power to your unit until it is ok. Well worth the bucks.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:35 AM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
Am ordering the Progressive EMS 30. Thanks all for pointing me in this direction. Also, for anyone else reading this thread I found a good comparison which will also direct you to the Progressive https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Articles.asp?ID=279

Patsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denlor View Post
get the good Progressive model as it will not allow power to the unit until all is well in the power box. Example: if a ground is broken it will show on the screen as an error and indicate what the error is and won't send power to your unit until it is ok. Well worth the bucks.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #10

Awesome help on Surge Protector - any other advice for a newbie!?

Hello! I'm new to this forum, picking up my new Koala 23CS this coming Friday (so excited!!! )

The information provided on the surge protector is so helpful for THIS novice traveler!

If there's anything else I need to know about regarding the surge protectors, please don't be shy and give me a shout-out! Any and all help and guidance welcome!

Thanks for everything!
Debenash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Both are Progressive Industries products, they have lifetime warranties and service. The SSP 30 is a pretty basic surge protector only. It does indicate if things aren't wired properly, but provides no protection from under/over voltage or cycle variations. It also doesn't have a delayed restart, so if power went out and came on again, it would try to start your A/C again while it could have dangerous high pressures after stopping suddenly. A/C don't like being restarted right away without a bit of a rest to even out pressures. Many of these conditions can occur in campgrounds, especially in hot weather when many people are using lots of energy. You have a lot of electronics in your RV, going cheap now could cause expense later.
==================

We presently have a 7 year old Jayco Eagle 322FKS and before I installed the P.I. Guard if the A.C. turned off for any reason it wouldn't go right back on again. There seems to be a time delay built right into the A.C. unit itself. I tried manually to turn off & turn on the A.C. but it waited about 2 minutes before it started again.
Now with the P.I. Guard it really hasn't made any difference in a stop/start mode. But it does protect all the electronics.
Don't forget if you have good RV Insurance it will cover these electrical surges when they burn out electronics in the RV.
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:49 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by billb800si
==================
Don't forget if you have good RV Insurance it will cover these electrical surges when they burn out electronics in the RV.
Yes and we all know how quickly, accurately and conveniently repairs can be. It's one thing to plug and play an appliance - it's another thing to resolve every possible wiring issue. Not sure what you're saying but I don't find comfort in it. YMMV.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debenash View Post
Hello! I'm new to this forum, picking up my new Koala 23CS this coming Friday (so excited!!! )

The information provided on the surge protector is so helpful for THIS novice traveler!

If there's anything else I need to know about regarding the surge protectors, please don't be shy and give me a shout-out! Any and all help and guidance welcome!

Thanks for everything!
They won't protect you from a nearby direct lightning strike and hopefully that will never happen.

Your best protection during a severe lightning storm is to disconnect the shore power cord until the storm had passed. That way if there is a nearby strike it won't have a path into your RV.

The strike would have to hit your RV directly which I hope will never happen.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Yes and we all know how quickly, accurately and conveniently repairs can be. It's one thing to plug and play an appliance - it's another thing to resolve every possible wiring issue. Not sure what you're saying but I don't find comfort in it. YMMV.
===========================

What I'm saying is "if all else fails call your insurance company and have your RV repaired. That's what we have insurance for.
Happy trails,
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote