Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2016, 10:16 AM   #15

Booth dinette benefits are storage under the booth seats and the ability to convert to a bed.

I often "lounge" at the dinette with my feet up on the inside section. We only have a couch and dinette, no recliners, so this is not a bad place to hang out and watch TV or read or just enjoy the view.

Sometimes I remove the table and the Ushaped dinette just becomes a substitute sectional sofa. I've even taken naps laying down on the long side.

If you don't want or need this, a table and chairs is a little more versatile and more like home, however the lounging options would not be nearly as comfortable. If you have enough other lounging areas or recliners, this wouldn't be giving up much.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2016, 10:21 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
We've got the credenza and chairs setup in our coach. I'm a big guy (6', 270 lbs) - and have learned to hate booths with a passion. My experience is that there's just never enough room and of course pushing myself away from the table just isn't an option. If dining comfort were the only concern - I could probably deal with the booth. However, in my case, I work my day gig from the coach - so my entire mobile office (two laptops, shared large screen monitor, tiny printer and all the interconnections "live" in the credenza while travelling - and set up on the platform of he credenza when in use. I've never seen a booth that would support such a dual purpose setup.

SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:35 PM   #17

we have a dinette and i do hate, never take a booth at a restaurant.

agree that do do store a lot, but they are uncomfortable. it came that

way.

Jim
Old 01-19-2016, 04:38 PM   #18

While not as comfy as the couch, I can sit at the dinette and watch an entire movie and not notice any discomfort.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:55 PM   #19

Thanks for all the replies and for some very good information and opinions. My guess is that since the storage and extra sleeping area for very small people will not be critical to us most of the time, the table and chairs (2) will likely be our choice. The TT we are considering has lots of other storage and comfortable seating for socializing and/or watching tv. Oddly enough, we are two people who generally request a booth in a restaurant, but that's so that we can sit beside each other rather than across. Just our preference. Again, thanks for all the helpful info. This is the best source I've found for quality information for RV'ing interests of all kinds.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:13 PM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Wink

Ford or Chevy- yep. In out 5th search we tossed the booth design very early and got a table and four chairs, two of which fold away if desired. We can haul a chair or two outside if needed for more guests, I use one at the computer desk, etc. Our chairs have nice padding and I can sit there for extended periods comfortably. In a prior Class B there was a booth which I hatted sitting at for extend times. If you are going to have small kids sleeping, then its a booth design. We have a sleeper sofa for guests.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:35 AM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
Removing Booth to Replace with Chairs

Has anyone on here pulled thier booth out and replaced it with table and chairs. Wondering if that is a doable project. Our booth is in our slide, so we gave the standard carpet covering the slide joint that most TT have. Seems it woukd leave a lot of unsightly narks on the existing carpet. Thoughts?
Filterman

Filterman
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:49 AM   #22

What we are getting has neither. It does have a removable table that will sit in front of the coach. I like the table and chairs over the booth except that booths usually provide for additional storage.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:55 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filterman View Post
Has anyone on here pulled thier booth out and replaced it with table and chairs. Wondering if that is a doable project. Our booth is in our slide, so we gave the standard carpet covering the slide joint that most TT have. Seems it woukd leave a lot of unsightly narks on the existing carpet. Thoughts?
Filterman
That's exactly what we did. We bought our 5th wheel as dealer stock. After several trips we realized the booth wasn't going to cut it. Also when the slide is in the booth table came within inches of the kitchen counter, making it hard to access the front of the 5er.
The carpet had some indents but after a short time popped up. I had to replace the trim in the corners of the slide and on the slide fronts. It was mostly some narrow thin wood I stained to match the rest of the 5ers wood. Depending on what your paneling looks like will determine how difficult it will be. I found some stain at Home Depot that's almost exactly the same.
We bought our chairs and table at a local furniture store. Most if not all tables are just screwed to the slide floor. The nice thing about our setup is with the rear living floor plan we can take our rear recliners and table/chairs and flip flop them when we are positioned with a nice rear view.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:11 AM   #24

I'm 6'2" / 240lbs and prefer our comfortable booth instead of a wooden chair. I'm thinking that many people just don't use their booth the ways we use ours. Our motorhome has the couch and booth across from each other and with the captain/copilot chairs flipped around, it makes for a perfect horseshoe shaped sitting area. We attend a lot of motorcycle rallys, rodeos, etc and the party tends to end up at our coach.
A table and chairs setup just doesn't offer the same intimacy as a booth. A booth is just more cozy. Especially when it's full of people drinking, talking and laughing while smoking a joint to a Bob Seger tune.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:41 AM   #25

We're looking for a travel trailer too, I have seen some that have a U-dinette with a free standing table. VS the tables attached to a pedestal. I like this as it makes the table more versatile.
MarkyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:42 PM   #26

I don't like to "slide" to get seated, so like a table with chairs. It comes down to personal preference, or, if you need to make the booth into a bed for the kiddies.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:40 AM   #27

We are looking at this same thing. We have decided upon the table and chairs. It's just two of us, but we have dogs and that space would also be a great place to put the dog beds as to not be in the middle of the floor. We are not one's to eat inside when camping unless it's raining or cold and we could have TV trays if need be, so to have the ability to remove them or bring them would be nice.
There is the storage factor that they bring so that is a positive. It's really a personal preference I guess.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:13 PM   #28

Its all a personal preference. My least favorite is U-shaped booths. There's barely space for two people's feet, and the table is a lot smaller than a normal booth.

I pulled out my booth, and tend to use TV trays while sitting on the couch. I rarely used my kitchen table in the house, so I don't miss a table in the trailer. I kept the table (its stored under the bed) as I do use it on rare occasions when I really need the space to work.